NBA Logo/Uniform Changes for 2009-10...

DustDevil61

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are awful. Just awful.

Of course, since it's for the Raptors, they're the greatest throwbacks in the history of the league to the CCSLC.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You know what the Thunder are? They're the fictional team that the characters in a show about the NBA play for. Think Playmakers.

I know they tried to justify the color palette with Oklahoma flags and Oklahoma sunsets and so on but it still underwhelms me. Putting "City" above the front number instead of below it is a design flaw so egregious that I can't believe it wasn't caught. The logo is terrible and someone here or on a design blog detailed every single thing that was wrong with the execution. Thing of glory, it was. Of course the Lakers' logo is better don't be sillyyyy

I like the colours *shrug*

The "City" above the numbers, eh, I could go either way. Below the numbers would seem more balanced, but to be honest, it doesn't bother me above the numbers like I would think it would.

The logo is....well it's not great, but really, I do prefer it to the Lakers logo. I'm with CW on that one. It looks like a bad tracing with a wordmark slapped on it. I'm not saying the concept behind the logo is bad, but really, at the very least they could clean it up a bit, ala what the Arizona Cardinals did.

What Conrad posted really would be ideal.

Not really. It's classic looking and if it's not broke, don't fix it!

Yes it is. Look at it objectively. It looks like a bad trace of something that was hand-drawn 40 years ago. (Which I'm guessing, it was.)

That?s the whole point, to keep the classic look they?ve had for the past 40 years! It?s no different than the Boston Celtics logo that Red?s brother drew back in the day. There have been minor tweaks here and there but no big overhauls that anybody could freak out about.

Umm, there's a distinct difference between "old" and "classic."

The Celtics logo may have begun life as a drawing, but it's been tweaked here and there to make it cleaner. This is exactly what needs to be done to the Lakers' logo. The general design can be kept, but the execution needs to be cleaned. Again, look at what Conrad posted. That's perfect!

Better yet, lets bust out the visual aides.

The Montréal Canadiens. The New York Yankees of hockey. Classic identity right? That didn't stop them from updating in the 1950's....

253.gif to 124.gif

Likewise what would be so bad about the Lakers going from

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif to RareLakers.png ?

Same design, pays homage to the classic logo, yet it's cleaned up.

Brilliantly said.

Of course, since it's for the Raptors, they're the greatest throwbacks in the history of the league to the CCSLC.

Haettenschweiler was big in the mid-'40s.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

back in the day when these "classic" "logos" were sketched out, they weren't concerned so much with marketing, merchandising, reproduction on various mediums, internet, etc. Plain and simple - these logos just do not cut it today. That does not mean that the classic "feel" of them has to be lost, but they need to be made more appropriate for the modern era, which means that they need to look good when stitched on a patch, printed on a t-shirt, displayed on a web page, etc. With the technology available today, there's no excuse for a logo to be that sloppy.

I still disagree, it doesn?t NEED to be cleaned up. The Lakers continue to make their hand drawn identity work year after year, while being one of the best marketing franchises in the league. So why does it need to be changed when they make it work just as much as they did in '02 as they do now? Would it be nice for all of us designs if they made a change? Yes, but they?ve already cleaned it up from the likes of below, and they?ve basically kept the same logo ever since they moved from Minneapolis, so any drastic changes simply aren?t going to happen fellas. If a major cleanup were to have taken place, it would have happened back in '01.

5538.gif

So the "classic" tracing/speed line workmark logo of the Lakers can't be touched, but the Knicks classic, if not slightly modern look, needs to be replaced with a new, modern uniform?

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the Knicks have already shown they've been willing to change their unis up quite a bit in the past, whereas the Lakers really haven't, so my hopes of the Knicks doing it are much more realistic.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that the Knicks have already shown they've been willing to change their unis up quite a bit in the past, whereas the Lakers really haven't, so my hopes of the Knicks doing it are much more realistic.

But the Lakers have updated their uniforms slightly 2 or 3 times, fiddling with the angle of the wordmark, changing the color of the numbers, and going to the wishbone and adding side panels. Not very different than the minor Knicks changes, unless you mean those ca. 1980 dark blue joints.

Logo is a different story, I guess. But anyway, I would agree that the Knicks are due for a tweak - and it seems surprising that they don't have one in store already since they've been planning for years to revamp the franchise for 2010-11. They may not get any FAs but they can still get new uniforms.

Interesting, the Knicks are one of the only teams to never have a 3rd uniform right? There was always talk about an orange, but they never did much but the St Patrick's day unis. Acutally, with the unveiling of Memphis's alts, I think NY and OKC are the only teams to never have an alternate!

Interesting, the Knicks are one of the only teams to never have a 3rd uniform right? There was always talk about an orange, but they never did much but the St Patrick's day unis. Acutally, with the unveiling of Memphis's alts, I think NY and OKC are the only teams to never have an alternate!

The Knicks had an alternate in the 1995-1996 through 1996-1997 seasons. It was basically a preview of the eventual uniform redesign - which brought Black into the uniforms.

yhi0yudffbyc8r8tlf7lxvenc.gif

This is all they have to do. That and get LeBron James. But please, no more "changes" for the Knicks.

Hey, I'd be completely and utterly happy with those changes! thicon_biggrin.gif

But the Lakers have updated their uniforms slightly 2 or 3 times, fiddling with the angle of the wordmark, changing the color of the numbers, and going to the wishbone and adding side panels. Not very different than the minor Knicks changes, unless you mean those ca. 1980 dark blue joints.

Yeah I know the Lakers have made minor changes along the way but those changes don't seem to be as drastic as what the Knicks have done along the course of their history when you consider they've worn the following. Just seems to me the Knicks as a franchise are more willing to shake things up than the Lakers.

7h4msq2lgehhf6va2mabciwh0.gifxeah5hk6km9wr9l1or43er6g9.gif

y5udh4gieepkgqq1jfg6frzic.giftwhmn2n6vxm2lgqhu0ti3ygfa.gif

nh3u1lmmt6g47rr5q6v5oemgd.gifdag7053nolg9ahtbu1y3gh3bj.gif

eomh111mgwa3ftqsqso9jzdvw.gif0bwfe4rjz73fwvkmw5vfkda44.gif

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

This is all they have to do. That and get LeBron James. But please, no more "changes" for the Knicks.

I'd like to see a return to those too. It's a cleaner look. Less piping around the color and side panels. That being said, I prefer the current ones by far to the mid-90s alts/eventual primaries.

Or at least ditch the black.

My guilty pleasure would be an orange alt, but I doubt I'll see that.

I'd like to see a return to those too. It's a cleaner look. Less piping around the color and side panels. That being said, I prefer the current ones by far to the mid-90s alts/eventual primaries.

Or at least ditch the black.

My guilty pleasure would be an orange alt, but I doubt I'll see that.

Nah the Knicks really dont need an alternate. They need to worry about building a better team for next season.

?

I believe he's trying to point out the inevitable Toronto bias, since you are, of course, the God (Creator) of this forum as well as hailing from T-dot. Naturally, you are the most powerful entity on this forum and therefore, are the most influential person here.

Though, I could be entirely wrong haha

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

?

I believe he's trying to point out the inevitable Toronto bias, since you are, of course, the God (Creator) of this forum as well as hailing from T-dot. Naturally, you are the most powerful entity on this forum and therefore, are the most influential person here.

Ah true... Which is why the Jays set gets so much love around here I suppose :rolleyes:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

?

Ah true... Which is why the Jays set gets so much love around here I suppose :rolleyes:

The Jays would get more love around here (at least from one Toronto-based member) if they used more graphite. :P

And by the way, the Huskies jerseys are pretty cool, but I'm iffy on the nameplate and the faux-belt. I'm reserving judgement until I see them in-game.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Archived