Notre Dame to play Army at Yankee Stadium in 2010

NEW.ERA

Army and Notre Dame will play the first football game at the new Yankee Stadium in 2010, a source close to the situation confirmed to ESPN.com Friday.

Army issued a release Friday afternoon touting a "major college football announcement" Monday at the stadium. The announcement will be a game against the Fighting Irish, said the source, renewing a once-vibrant New York City tradition.

Army and Notre Dame played each other at Yankee Stadium annually from 1925-46, with one of the two schools being ranked No. 1 each of the last four meetings at the famed baseball park. The most famous of those games probably was the 0-0 tie in 1946, when Army was ranked No. 1 and Notre Dame No. 2. The two teams last met at Yankee Stadium in 1969.

Notre Dame senior associate athletic director John Heisler could not confirm that the game is a go, but did not dispute it, either.

"We've talked for some time about our interest in playing in Yankee Stadium, and Yankee Stadium has expressed an interesting in having us play there," Heisler said. "We're very close to having something happen."

The Times Herald-Record, citing unidentified Army sources, said Friday that Army will also play games at Yankee Stadium in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4336932

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

2011 will probably be Army vs. Navy

What makes you think that?

Future Army vs. Navy schedule:

2010 - Philadelphia

2011 - Washington

2012 - Philadelphia

2013 - Philadelphia

2014 - Baltimore

2015 - Philadelphia

2016 - Baltimore

2017 - Philadelphia

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2011 will probably be Army vs. Navy

Syracuse was also involved in these talks because the AD feels that Syracuse's territory consists of all of the NYC metropolitan area (yes I know I'm an SU student from that same area but...), so I'd expect Army to rotate between Notre Dame and Syracuse, which would end up being home games for the two away teams.

And not to mention all 3 teams are shells of what they used to be.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

They aren't a national championship contender, but because of soft scheduling (and the decisive tactical advantage having Charlie Weis gives them), Notre Dame has a chance to win 10 games this year and end up being given a BCS bid they clearly won't deserve in which they will have their doors blown off.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Rutgers and Syracuse are stated as two potential teams to face Army 2011-2013 at Yankee Stadium. However when Army play Notre Dame in 2010, the Irish will be the home team and it will be on NBC.

They aren't a national championship contender, but because of soft scheduling (and the decisive tactical advantage having Charlie Weis gives them), Notre Dame has a chance to win 10 games this year and end up being given a BCS bid they clearly won't deserve in which they will have their doors blown off.

I'm just hoping that they run into another SEC power. Aw man, that'll be fandamntastic. After that asswhuppin that LSU laid on them in the Sugar Bowl a couple of years ago, they're basically trying to avoid the SEC like the plague (unless it's a team like Mississippi State. :()

With that said, it's only right that these would be the two teams to open up college football at Yankee Stadium, especially Army. I can't wait to watch it just to see how cool it'd look on TV.

Oh man I wonder how much money I'm going to have to blow on tickets for this.

I imagine that neither college students or people in the army won't be able to afford tickets. Face value on nosebleeds is already in the 20's. Once scalpers get involved it could get nasty.

Bold prediction... Irish go 13-0, including a win in the Sugar Bowl over Florida. (LSU over USC for the national title)

With your track record on predictions, you've just doomed them to a 7-6 season.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Bold prediction... Irish go 13-0, including a win in the Sugar Bowl over Florida. (LSU over USC for the national title)

If that gets Urban to South Bend faster, by all means Will keep predicting ND to go undefeated.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Maybe so, but I've been right occasionally.

LvZYtbZ.png

Maybe so, but I've been right occasionally.

A broken clock is right at least two times a day, too.

Archived