2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From a purely football point-of-view, I love the move. PR-wise, if Vick steps in, can keep himself pointed in the right direction, and starts to have some success there, I'd think a sizeable chunk of Eagle Nation (though maybe not necessarily some members of said nation up in here) would be quick to take to him. And, as TFoA mentione earlier, I DARE PETA to try any of their rallies outside of the Linc...anyone think PETA would REALLY want to fool with as rabid a fanbase as Eagle Nation? I thinks not, sir.

I agree with everything you said Buc, especially this. Eagle nation is very quick to take to players and very quick to turn their backs on them. If Vick does well in whatever game he first plays in (I'm guessing preseason game #3, since he's suspended for the next one), Eagle fans will grow fond of the guy. Look what happened with TO, the guy had 3 TDs in his first game as an Eagle and he was the biggest star on the team in the fan's eyes. If Vick can avoid the second year of TO's career there, and keep a clean sheet, the signing can be nothing but good. I think the organization has seen what happens with bad reputation players and won't stand for it this time around (at least I hope).

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I hope the Eagles go 0-16.

-Dan

Yeah but I wouldn't have minded that even if Vick never played for another NFL team period.

I agree 100% Yes he paid his debt to society. He does have the right to seek employment but that employment does not have to be NFL player.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I am baffled as to why the Eagles made this move. First off, Michael Vick doesn't exactly fit Philly's current system. What does work is Donovan McNabb running the show with good backfield support, and it has worked for the past decade. If anything, the Eagles should have signed a solid wide-out like Marvin Harrison to bolster the offense.

Also, Andy Reid stressed during his press conference that "everyone deserves a second chance". Yet, he was all for kicking Terrell Owens to the curb during the middle of the '05 season after he ran his mouth about wanting Favre to be his QB or whatever it was. If Reid wasn't going to put up with Owens' mouth, then why the hell are they bringing in another "character guy" like Vick??

And oh by the way, looking at how Vick's contract is structured, this is a one year thing with both McNabb and Vick. Only one of those quarterbacks will be back with the Eagles for the 2010 season. Guess this finally gives Philly a reason to rid themselves of McNabb.

6uXNWAo.png

I think Philadelphia is a good place for Vick. The best thing for both him and whichever team he ended up signing with was to be in a spot where he would not represent a threat to the established starting quarterback. Tossing Vick into a setting such as Minnesota or Cleveland would have been terrible for everyone involved. He'd be expected to compete for the starting job right away, which isn't even remotely fair to him as he's going to need time to get back into game shape. Plus, can you imagine the damage to Tavaris Jackson's credibility if the Vikings were to publicly court Brett Favre all summer and then sign Vick? It'd be an even hotter mess than it already has become.

The Eagles have a solid, proven, superstar quarterback in Donovan McNabb who is in absolutely no danger of losing his starting job. He was a mentor to Vick when the younger QB entered the league and will be useful in that role now. Apparently McNabb actually lobbied to have the Eagles sign Vick, another indication of how good this fit is for both QBs. In addition, Vick gets to practice, train, and prepare for the spotlight in what should be a relatively quiet setting. McNabb and Reid will be able to shield him from a lot of media heat because the team is used to intense scruitny both on and off the field. Could you imagine if Vick had landed in a small market where a team not used to the media crush would have had to deal with a massive influx of national news reporters? Chaos for the team would ensue. The Eagles as a whole are ready for a signing like this, and so I think it's a good fit. There are a lot of potentially exciting possibilities here, and it will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Interestingly, the contract that the two sides agreed upon is a prorated $1.6 million for this year, but jumps to a more than $5 million option for next year. I don't see the Eagles paying a backup QB that much money, so my guess is that this is going to be a one-year stop for him before he signs elsewhere and competes for a starting job.

Good luck to all parties... except in games against my Giants.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I don't think there's a singular person sitting in front of their screen reading these boards that DOESN'T think Vick could contribute some instant offense.

I'm that person. Michael Vick hasn't been in the NFL for two full years. He's been out of games, practices, training camps, mini-camps, playbooks, training regimens, everything necessary to play football at its highest level. Wouldn't the requisite skills and rigors of pro football be so rare and so honed that they would be quick to atrophy? I find it hard to believe that playing football in the NFL is something you retain as effortlessly as riding a bicycle. I don't doubt that he's going to bust his ass to make the team, but there's a very real chance that he just doesn't have it anymore.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think there's a singular person sitting in front of their screen reading these boards that DOESN'T think Vick could contribute some instant offense.

I'm that person. Michael Vick hasn't been in the NFL for two full years. He's been out of games, practices, training camps, mini-camps, playbooks, training regimens, everything necessary to play football at its highest level. Wouldn't the requisite skills and rigors of pro football be so rare and so honed that they would be quick to atrophy? I find it hard to believe that playing football in the NFL is something you retain as effortlessly as riding a bicycle. I don't doubt that he's going to bust his ass to make the team, but there's a very real chance that he just doesn't have it anymore.

I agree with The Admiral. How long has it been sice he has played a game? Sitting in a jail cell and prison work outs can't compete with the traing, staff, facilities and nutrition that the NFL has to offer.

He will be rusty.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

True. I wonder what the prevailing opinion is among Eagles fans. Does Vick improve the Eagles' chance at a championship enough to offset the public relations nightmares ahead? I don't think he does. Do you? He's been out of the NFL and civilian life for two whole years. Is it even guaranteed he makes it out of training camp?

Prevailing opinion seems to be very negative. I do not feel it improves their chances at a title, nor is it worth the PR nightmare. That is unfortunate, because I think that he has an amazing opportunity to really make a difference in the community, and become a role model and example of someone who was able to turn his life around and do the right things (unless of course he f's up.)

I don't see why Philadelphia would sign this guy. They run a system that basically consist of the quarterback throwing the ball, then throwing the ball some more, and after that throwing the ball even more. The big knock on Vick is that he can't throw the ball and had the worst completion percentage before going to jail. I doubt he has improved on that since taking two years off. So what is the point of bringing him in? I know they may want an insurance policy for McNabb but there has to be better option out there for their system.

I don't give me that bringing him in for the Wildcat. Defensive coordinators have now had a full off-season to prepare a defense for it. Now when the QB lines up at receiver the defenses are going to be prepared and are going to know how to react. I just don't see it being as successful this year.

As for why they would sign this guy, it almost seems like they did it as a favor to Tony Dungy and Roger Goodell. McNabb mentioned the idea to Reid, who was very reluctant. Then he spoke to Dungy, who he respects a lot, and Dungy essentially signed off on Vick being a changed guy and deserving of another shot. Reid then went to Lurie, who basically said "F no! Get out of my office!" Roger Goodell spoke to Lurie and suggested that he also buys in to Vick's contrition, and encouraged the owner to sign-off on the move.

Hey Eagles fans, is Jaws' number retired or can Mikey wear #7? Just curious. BTW, tried to use nflshop.com to gin up a Vick jersey just now and got this response:

>> Your current entry cannot be processed. Language deemed inappropriate, derogatory, or profane will not be accepted. Please create a new entry. <<

:blink:

I was surprised by this signing. What's next in the tick off McNabb derby, they trade with Buffalo to get T.O. back? Surely the poobahs discussed it with Donovan first...

And...everybody keeps talking about Vick and the Wildcat. Um, they run that with running backs taking a direct snap. Use Vick and it's called the 'shotgun'.

This was partially Donovan's idea. He and Vick have been friends since McNabb hosted him during a recruiting visit. McNabb, Tony Dungy, and Roger Goodell were all involved in going to Andy Reid and Jeff Lurie with this.

Also, as far as "ticking off" McNabb, they just gave him more money without an extension, so they just spent the whole off season kissing his ass.

Vick will wear #7.

First off, I'm absolutely shocked that Philly would sign Vick, it's essentially a good pick up but I wonder if it's worth it. McNabb can't be happy.

Again, McNabb lobbied Reid to at least consider this. Also, part of the reason Vick apparently chose the Eagles despite at least one other firm offer was so that he would have a support system in McNabb and Reid, and there wouldn't be pressure on him to lead a team, since they already have an established QB.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am baffled as to why the Eagles made this move. First off, Michael Vick doesn't exactly fit Philly's current system. What does work is Donovan McNabb running the show with good backfield support, and it has worked for the past decade. If anything, the Eagles should have signed a solid wide-out like Marvin Harrison to bolster the offense.

Marvin Harrison is done. He's also likely to be facing some legal problems due to a shooting in Philadelphia. If Harrison had anything left, he'd be on a roster. That's not an option.

Also, Andy Reid stressed during his press conference that "everyone deserves a second chance". Yet, he was all for kicking Terrell Owens to the curb during the middle of the '05 season after he ran his mouth about wanting Favre to be his QB or whatever it was. If Reid wasn't going to put up with Owens' mouth, then why the hell are they bringing in another "character guy" like Vick??

Several reasons.

1. Reid has been assured by Tony Dungy and Roger Goodell that Vick has become a "character" guy. It is possible for people to be rehabilitated, and become positive influences. This could all blow up of course, but it's hard not to respect the opinions of two people involved with Vick as much as them.

2. Owens got several chances. What you saw was only the "last straw." These multiple chances were outlined in detail and used against Owens in an arbitration hearing regarding the payback of his bonus. The Eagles won. Just for the record, I think they handled the Owens / McNabb thing horribly, and there's no reason it couldn't have been saved. Owens was right about a lot of the things he said. But that's not germane to this discussion.

3. Reid's family situation played a big role in this. He publically discussed his son's problems for the first time ever last night. I think part of this is to prove to them that it's not too late to turn it around, and he wants to make sure that he isn't a hypocrite. It's hard for him to work with his boys and try to get them clean and out of jail, while at the same time slamming a door to someone who has (so far) served his time and done the right things.

Don't underestimate the personal / family aspect in this.

And oh by the way, looking at how Vick's contract is structured, this is a one year thing with both McNabb and Vick. Only one of those quarterbacks will be back with the Eagles for the 2010 season. Guess this finally gives Philly a reason to rid themselves of McNabb.

This is completely incorrect.

McNabb was given more money added to his contract, essentially guaranteeing the final two years. They cannot cut him after this season, without serious ramifications. They basically told Kevin Kolb that he's not going to be the starter here.

Michael Vick will NOT be a starting QB for the Eagles. Look at this as the Eagles just doing some people some favors, and giving Vick an opportunity to do the right things, and show other teams that he is OK to sign.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

FOX Sports is reporting that Vick turned down a similar two-year offer from the Bengals to join the Eagles.

This proves that Vick is indeed sane following his time spent in the slam. ^_^

6uXNWAo.png

FOX Sports is reporting that Vick turned down a similar two-year offer from the Bengals to join the Eagles.

And that the Bengals are intent on holding the undisputed crown on most off-field problems.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

LOL I had a feeling that if any team would go after someone with jail time, it'd be the Bengals. It only makes sense. Wow.

I hope the Eagles go 0-16.

-Dan

Yeah but I wouldn't have minded that even if Vick never played for another NFL team period.

I agree 100% Yes he paid his debt to society. He does have the right to seek employment but that employment does not have to be NFL player.

-Dan

I agree also. I hate Michael Vick, but I still know that his legal punishment was enough. I also know that he should not be playing in the NFL. He should have been made to search for another job. I am extremely disappointed in Andy Reid and the Eagles for their poor decision. I love my Iggles, but I am truly upset about Vick's signing.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

When he was a Falcon, I couldn't stand Vick. I live near Atlanta and therefore had a front row seat. All his lies, his dope (remember the water bottle at the airport the blunt pic online?), how he could basically do anything with no consequences. Plus obviously that he was the QB of my team's most hated rival. B) I seriously went "BWAAHAHAHAAA!" when he got indicted. But with all that said, IF he has genuinely been humbled to the point of undergoing a fundamental character change, then I wish him well. I don't forgive or condone what he did and never will but it is fair to say that he would never have received such a severe punishment - though it was definitely deserved - if he wasn't Michael Vick. Joe Bob the (fill in mundane job title) would not have been sent to Leavenworth for two years for dogfighting. Look at Stallworth, look at many, many athletes (and regular people for that matter) who get lesser punishment for far more serious crimes.

So my position is to wait and see. I put little faith in what he says because he's lied and lied a lot. My opinion will hinge on what he does and that's going to be like grading a draft, it's going to take a few years to see whether it's real. The fact that Dungy's on the case gives me some faith because I don't think he's the kind of guy to waste his time on a lost cause. If Vick has truly changed, good for him and let the man be.

On a lighter and vaguely related note, one of the funniest things I've ever seen/heard was on a prime time Saints-Falcons game when one of the sideline mics picked up, as they say in New Orleans, some lagniappe (a little something extra). Vick was scrambling and the Saints were chasing him and suddenly you clearly hear one of the Saints on the sideline yell, "Get that motherf***er!" :blink:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I was never a fan of Vick pre or post the whole crime circus, but I find our country so funny at times. Vick is a football player, that's his job. He broke the law. He paid his debt, served his time, seems to be remorseful for what he did and all he wants to do is go back to work. I've never liked Vick, as I said, not as a QB and after what he did, not as a person, but based on our legal system he's paid for what he did and I have no problem with him wanting to go back to work. It seems like people would rather see him suffer for the rest of his life, rather than accept that he's paid for his crime based on the rules people have died to protect for this country.

Archived