2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Just a question that I've always wondered - do the veterans look down upon and resent the rookies who hold out for money, once they arrive at training camp. Let's say, Michael Crabtree signs a deal tonight and reports to training camp tomorrow. Will the veterans fully embrace him, or will it take time for him to "prove" himself.

Yes they do. He (or any rookie) who holds out for more money without having played a down in the NFL will have to prove himself before being accepted in the locker room. If your going to demand that kind of money, you better show why you deserve it.

How do you know?

Assuming you have no true inside info, I would imagine that most veterans see it as being good for all football players -- let all players, be they new, old, or whatever, make as much money as they possibly can. The more money in the pot, the better the union benefits are.

All players are in it for the money. That they would begrudge a fellow player for doing the same thing they're doing doesn't make much sense to me.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a question that I've always wondered - do the veterans look down upon and resent the rookies who hold out for money, once they arrive at training camp. Let's say, Michael Crabtree signs a deal tonight and reports to training camp tomorrow. Will the veterans fully embrace him, or will it take time for him to "prove" himself.

Yes they do. He (or any rookie) who holds out for more money without having played a down in the NFL will have to prove himself before being accepted in the locker room. If your going to demand that kind of money, you better show why you deserve it.

How do you know?

Assuming you have no true inside info, I would imagine that most veterans see it as being good for all football players -- let all players, be they new, old, or whatever, make as much money as they possibly can. The more money in the pot, the better the union benefits are.

All players are in it for the money. That they would begrudge a fellow player for doing the same thing they're doing doesn't make much sense to me.

+1. Bettet NFL vets get their guaranteed contract after the initial one.

Well, it's only the preseason, but it appears that the Rams' "cheap hooker" defense is back for another year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Move over Mr. Ochocinco, we now have our new LOL moment of the weekend. The new Cowboys stadium cost $1.2 billion to build, only to get pwned by some second-string punter in the very first game there:

The Tennessee Titans felt they exposed a major flaw in Cowboys Stadium during the first football game played in the building when reserve punter A.J. Trapasso hit the gigantic HD screen that hangs over the field.

[snip]

Both Trapasso, an undrafted rookie out of Ohio State, and veteran Craig Hentrich hit the video board in warm-ups and marveled at how engineers, architects and ownership failed to anticipate the issue.

"I hit it probably a dozen times in pregame," Hentrich said. "Probably somewhere around a five-second punt is going to hit it and some of the guys in the league wouldn't be able to punt here if it's not raised, they'd just be non-stop hitting it. I don't know what the people were thinking. I guess they should have tested things out before they put that thing in place. It'll have to be raised."

CCSLC signature.png

Move over Mr. Ochocinco, we now have our new LOL moment of the weekend. The new Cowboys stadium cost $1.2 billion to build, only to get pwned by some second-string punter in the very first game there:
The Tennessee Titans felt they exposed a major flaw in Cowboys Stadium during the first football game played in the building when reserve punter A.J. Trapasso hit the gigantic HD screen that hangs over the field.

[snip]

Both Trapasso, an undrafted rookie out of Ohio State, and veteran Craig Hentrich hit the video board in warm-ups and marveled at how engineers, architects and ownership failed to anticipate the issue.

"I hit it probably a dozen times in pregame," Hentrich said. "Probably somewhere around a five-second punt is going to hit it and some of the guys in the league wouldn't be able to punt here if it's not raised, they'd just be non-stop hitting it. I don't know what the people were thinking. I guess they should have tested things out before they put that thing in place. It'll have to be raised."

It's a shame the arena league forbade punting, because if they had a bunch of drop kickers they'd be getting tryouts this week.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And this is the stadium that will be hosting Super Bowl XLV. I can just see it coming down to a punt that hits the screen, so the officials make them re-kick it and they end up shanking it or something.

CCSLC signature.png

But after a 30-10 Dallas win, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he doesn't think it is an issue. The NFL signed off on the 160-foot long, 90-foot high video board, Jones said, and he does not plan to alter it.

Just wait until the CowboyTron screws over the Jerry and the 'Boys in a big game, then we'll see if he doesn't do something about it! ;)

6uXNWAo.png

How do you know?

hahah no, i do not have any inside info. but listen to radio shows where players call in as guests and when asked, that's what they say. besides, its just common sense.

glossysig5.png

It's not common sense...it's hatin'

But, hatin' is what we do best around here! After all, hatin' is the new national pastime.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's not common sense...it's hatin'

But, hatin' is what we do best around here! After all, hatin' is the new national pastime.

So true. It might be better if we were more entertaining in our hatin'. Right now it just looks like a bunch of ass-holes whining. In fairness to all involved though, it is a new art form so it's may take some time to develop the skills required to be an entertaining hater.

but listen to radio shows where players call in as guests and when asked, that's what they say. besides, its just common sense.

Well we all know sports radio shows are 100% accurate. They're nothing if not the most legitimate source out there for sports news.

BB52Big.jpg

A friend of mine received this from the Jaguars. WTF? Layaway? The City of Industry seems to get better by the week.

Dear (name removed),

As a former ticket holder, we know how much you support the Jaguars. We also know, in the current economy, how difficult it has been to commit to the games this year.

But we want you to know that we miss you and want you to come back ? and if you can't quite make it out of "fan retirement" in time for this season, then perhaps you could consider a comeback in 2010.

That's why we'd like to take this opportunity to tell you about our new partnership with eLayawaySPORTS which can help you spread the payments for your 2010 season tickets over the next 11 months.

With eLayawaySPORTS, it's never too early to begin paying for your 2010 season tickets ? and you can take advantage of reduced monthly or weekly payments to make buying your season tickets even easier by signing up now.

Similar to traditional layaway, eLayawaySPORTS offers the convenience of paying over time with only a low, 1.9% flat transaction fee and ZERO interest.

If you wanted to start your payments for two $390 season tickets on eLayaway today over the next 11 months, this would be your payment schedule:

Two tickets @ $390 = $780. Spread over 11 months August 09 - June 2010, your payments would be just $70.90 per month plus a 1.9% transaction fee. You could even opt to make a payment every two weeks, reducing the payment to just $35.45 plus the transaction fee.

=0 A

You can utilize eLayawaySPORTS' payment calculator to create a payment plan that will work for your lifestyle and fit your budget. These customized payments can then be automatically deducted from your bank account at dates that you set.

Click here for more information on purchasing your 2010 Season Tickets using eLayawaySPORTS.

Interesting little twist in the Saints-Texans game involving what sure looked like a 'makeup call' penalty. When Mike Bell broke a 46-yd TD run, he waved bye-bye to the nearest Texan as he went in for the score. Disappointing and very bush league, but no penalty was called. Later in the game, Rod Harper of the Saints returned a punt 79 yds for a TD and "Deion'd" the last 10 yards or so. It was a pretty poor imitation of Mr. Sanders but basically he was high-stepping and nothing more. In comes a flag - 15 yards, enforced on the kickoff, for taunting. Five guys a week do the Deion into the endzone and it's NEVER called. So I'm convinced it was a makeup penalty. If you want to see it, go to the game center highlights. Bell's run is at 1:18 (note the freakin' Taco Bell logo that suddenly appears on the field - it wasn't on the TV broadcast) and Harper's punt return is at 3:10.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

A friend of mine received this from the Jaguars. WTF? Layaway? The City of Industry seems to get better by the week.

Dear (name removed),

As a former ticket holder, we know how much you support the Jaguars. We also know, in the current economy, how difficult it has been to commit to the games this year.

But we want you to know that we miss you and want you to come back ? and if you can't quite make it out of "fan retirement" in time for this season, then perhaps you could consider a comeback in 2010.

That's why we'd like to take this opportunity to tell you about our new partnership with eLayawaySPORTS which can help you spread the payments for your 2010 season tickets over the next 11 months.

With eLayawaySPORTS, it's never too early to begin paying for your 2010 season tickets ? and you can take advantage of reduced monthly or weekly payments to make buying your season tickets even easier by signing up now.

Similar to traditional layaway, eLayawaySPORTS offers the convenience of paying over time with only a low, 1.9% flat transaction fee and ZERO interest.

If you wanted to start your payments for two $390 season tickets on eLayaway today over the next 11 months, this would be your payment schedule:

Two tickets @ $390 = $780. Spread over 11 months August 09 - June 2010, your payments would be just $70.90 per month plus a 1.9% transaction fee. You could even opt to make a payment every two weeks, reducing the payment to just $35.45 plus the transaction fee.

=0 A

You can utilize eLayawaySPORTS' payment calculator to create a payment plan that will work for your lifestyle and fit your budget. These customized payments can then be automatically deducted from your bank account at dates that you set.

Click here for more information on purchasing your 2010 Season Tickets using eLayawaySPORTS.

If they have to resort to that, it's not a good situation. Seriously - 390 for a season ticket? That has to be the cheapest in the league. If you have to spread that payment over 11 mos, maybe you should focus on your other priorities and cut football out of the budget. Also, if someone has to stretch that far to buy those tickets, are they really going to be spending money on concessions and other stuff in the stadium?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dear (name removed),

=0 A

If they have to resort to that, it's not a good situation. Seriously - 390 for a season ticket? That has to be the cheapest in the league. If you have to spread that payment over 11 mos, maybe you should focus on your other priorities and cut football out of the budget. Also, if someone has to stretch that far to buy those tickets, are they really going to be spending money on concessions and other stuff in the stadium?

The Falcons had $160 season tickets a few years ago when Arthur Blank (their owner) was trying to rebuild the fan base. When he bought the team he went around and asked the veterans for a wish list. Near the top was 'fill the Georgia Dome'. Well, with Falcons fans that is. I went to my first game there in '01 and there were so many Saints fans that the the Falcons were booed when they came out for intros...in their own stadium! :blink: Seriously, Atlanta's O would come up for 3rd and 1 and you could clearly hear the chant of "Deeee-fense!". It was a little surreal.

Then just a couple years ago they beat Pittsburgh here in Atlanta and there were so many Steeler faithful that Alge Crumpler called it "our best road win in a while." :D

I was going to say, for $160, I'd buy a season ticket just to see my team play there, and then just ebay the rest of them. At a lot of NFL cities, $160 is just the starting point on the secondary market for a ticket. My roommate pays 160 or 170 per seat for his season tix, he gets them second hand from a SBL (PSL) holder that just sells his tickets. They're just regular seats, not even club or anything, but when you factor in the value for the marquee games vs. the crappy games, it averages out to be a good deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was going to say, for $160, I'd buy a season ticket just to see my team play there, and then just ebay the rest of them. At a lot of NFL cities, $160 is just the starting point on the secondary market for a ticket. My roommate pays 160 or 170 per seat for his season tix, he gets them second hand from a SBL (PSL) holder that just sells his tickets. They're just regular seats, not even club or anything, but when you factor in the value for the marquee games vs. the crappy games, it averages out to be a good deal.

Just checked and the cheapest Falcons season tickets are now $350. They charge $175 for a 5-game package (upper deck corner/end zone, above row 14).

Dear (name removed),

But we want you to know that we miss you and want you to come back … and if you can't quite make it out of "fan retirement" in time for this season, then perhaps you could consider a comeback in 2010.

With eLayawaySPORTS, it's never too early to begin paying for your 2010 season tickets – and you can take advantage of reduced monthly or weekly payments to make buying your season tickets even easier by signing up now.

=0 A

The Falcons had $160 season tickets a few years ago when Arthur Blank (their owner) was trying to rebuild the fan base. When he bought the team he went around and asked the veterans for a wish list. Near the top was 'fill the Georgia Dome'. Well, with Falcons fans that is. I went to my first game their in '01 and there were so many Saints fans that the the Falcons were booed when they came out for intros...in their own stadium! :blink: Seriously, Atlanta's O would come up for 3rd and 1 and you could clearly hear the chant of "Deeee-fense!". It was a little surreal.

Then just a couple years ago they beat Pittsburgh here in Atlanta and there were so many Steeler faithful that Alge Crumpler called it "our best road win in a while." :D

01. eh? Yeah, that was one of the many down years for the Falcons, plus Saints fans literally travel to Atlanta every year for the game (wanna know how I know this for a fact? Word of mouth, then the year after Hurricane Katrina, the tailgate lot for the Georgia Dome had FEMA trailers all over the place. Wow.), so no surprise at all to read that. :lol:

For the most part, that's never gonna change unless the teams here start winning on a consistent basis, and once they go back to losing (because it's Atlanta, come on. :P), it'll be the same ol thing. There's too many transplants and too many bandwagoners. Hell, the Falcons probably lost a good bit of their fanbase to fans that didn't immediately leave after the Vick debacle, but wanted to wait and see what team Vick would land with. I've already seen plenty of people wearing a Eagles' jersey with Vick's name on it, and I'm gonna see thousands more on December 6th. :P

That said, $160 was a great deal. That was around the time my family became season ticket holders. Now it's just me and my moms and the tickets have gone up threefold since then. :P But seriously, if I were a Jaguar fan I'd be on top of that. Terrible support or not, the NFL is the NFL, and a $390 season ticket (on layaway, lmao) would be decent.

Archived