Nfl Receivers Can Now Wear Numbers 10-19

sj32

Due to a shortage of numbers in the 80's on some teams, NFL owners voted Wednesday to allow receivers to wear numbers in the teens. Receivers can wear numbers between 10 and 19 even if there are available numbers in the 80's. Call it the "Keyshawn" rule.

about damn time...it made no sense to me this wise:

QBs and kickers-1 to 19, typically you have 3 QBs and two kickers

RBs and DBs-20 to 49...typically, 4 or 5 RBs and 8 DBs. makes sense

Off. line-50 to 79...typically around 10 O-linemen

D-line-50 to 79...and 90-99...usually around 6-8 DL, makes sense

LBs-50 to 59, then 90 to 99...usually 5 or 6, again makes sense. i'd noticed some LBs have started to wear numbers in the 40s, however

Wideouts and tight ends...80 to 89...i see some TEs have started wearing numbers in the 40s. anyways, you usually have 5 or 6 wideouts AND 2 or 3 tight ends, giving 7 to 9 players a group of 10 numbers. then you gotta factor in retired numbers. this move makes sense...now if they'd allow 0 and 00 again.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

booo.

i like the wr's wearing in the 80's thisll tske time to get use to :mad:

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

In college, kickers and punters can wear whatever number they want...

As for the "Keyshawn" rule, you already saw that, anyway. IIRC, a receiver for the Bengals wore #8 in 2000.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Julian Peterson on the 49ers is officially listed as a linebacker, and he wears #98

Which is allowed, since linebackers can wear numbers 50-59 or 90-99 (see Discrim's post).

It's where I sit.

the reason players numbers are dictated by position is to let the referees know which players are eligible to catch a pass. That's why NFL games always announce "player 99 is entering as an eligible player" etc. They can't just line up where they want, they have to report to the referee first. That's why guards, centers & tackles are numbered between 50-79.

Did you guys also catch that coaches can call timeouts as well? That should ease some confusion with players trying at the last minute to call a TO because they get the relayed message late form the coach.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

In college, kickers and punters can wear whatever number they want...

As for the "Keyshawn" rule, you already saw that, anyway. IIRC, a receiver for the Bengals wore #8 in 2000.

vic, quarterback Akili Smith wore #8 for the Bengals in 2000.

Actually, quarterback Jeff Blake wore #8. Akili wore #11 for his entire stay in Cincinnati.

Before 1973, players in the NFL could wear any number they wanted. That's why you saw John Hadl playing QB with #21, Fred Biletnikoff at WR wearing #25, and too many defensive linemen to mention with numbers in the 80's. Players who had "illegal" numbers before 1973 were allowed to keep them once the new rule was instituted.

levon kirkland wears #93 as a linebacker.

again, refer to my post. it's allowed. now if they'd let LBs wear 60s and 70s again...reminds me that i want a Karl Mecklenberg jersey :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

About 20 years ago I remember Tampa had a kickreturner that wore #1 for most of the season before the NFL did anything about it . It seems that sometimes players can get away with wearing an illegal number.

I like the idea of letting kickers and punters wear any number they like it not likely an offical is going to confuse Martin Gramatica (spelling) with Warren Sapp.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

I'm in favor of the league allowing 10-19 available to WRs, just for the fact that jackhole Keyshawn Johnson aka most overrated wide receiver in the league isn't special anymore with his #19.

Other notable numbers:

Desmond Howard wore #1 (maybe it was someone else) for the Raiders either in 2001 or 2002. All I remember is that they had a KR wearing #1.

Dedric Ward wore #17 for the Pats this year, because all the 80s were taken.

Interestingly, the Patriots had a guy on their regular-season roster in 2001 named Walt Williams, who wore #14 as a running back.

And, of course,it's always funny to see a special teams guy like Michael Bates, Steve Tasker, or Eric Metcalf flip-flop from 20s to 80s when they switch teams. (Is he a RB? or is he a WR? I guess he's...BOTH!!!)

Even Dante Hall went from #20 as a rookie to #82 later in his career! (Is he a RB? or is he a WR? I guess he's...BOTH!!!)

The Falcons had a guy named Dallas Neil a few years back who wore #6 as a Tight End/Fullback. The reason was, he was originally signed as a Punter and they converted him... I think he changed numbers the next year, though.

during preseason games you'll see wacky numbers all over the place. after cuts are made and a final roster is set, the offending numbers fall back into the guidelines.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Archived