Los Marlins

marlinfan

Worst execution in MLB so far?

By a landslide.

They might as well have put "Los Half-Assed Effort" on the front. Either go all the way or don't bother. The Giants & Brewers are the standard on Hispanic Heritage Night jerseys. The Mets, Diamondbacks, and Marlins need to get their collective :censored: together and either go all the way or drop the promotion.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Talked about tacked on. I'm on board with the idea of the promotion, but like others have said, if this is what Hispanic jerseys are coming to, time to call it quits.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

By a landslide.

They might as well have put "Los Half-Assed Effort" on the front. Either go all the way or don't bother. The Giants & Brewers are the standard on Hispanic Heritage Night jerseys. The Mets, Diamondbacks, and Marlins need to get their collective :censored: together and either go all the way or drop the promotion.

Wouldn't it be el half-assed effort since the effort was singular?

Cultural nights are ok. However they should go about it a different way. I don't like changing team names. As dorky as it sounds the team names are sacred and shouldn't be touched (Should the Montreal Canadiens be Los Canadians? I can't even imagine what an Asianized version of the Canucks would be) I don't like slapping on el/la los/las or a flag on a jersey either.

Instead, why not play only hispanic music (or whatever culture is being honored). Change the concessions to traditional foods of the culture being honored. Honor current and past players of the culture in question. Offer discounted tickets to social clubs of that group (in my area there are a ton of Italian-American, Polish-American clubs, etc...) In the NBA they do a good job on MLK day and they manage to do it without changing team names or jerseys, maybe the other leagues can borrow a few ideas from the NBA on this one.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Marlins did a lot of that last night. Music, spanish PA announcer, post game concert. To add insult to injury they scheduled UM Family Night and Hispanic Night at once. So imagine everything I've mentioned + stadium decked out in UM banners (and ring of honor) + Hurricanes graphics on the LED boards and videoboards + Ibis coming out every two innings getting 38,000 people to do the 'ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh ::ground rumble:: C-A-N-E-S CANES!' chant.

1997 | 2003

By a landslide.

that would have taken actual effort

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Apparently the Marlins are too cheap to even have an intern look up the translation of "Marlins" in babelfish.

Marlins is one of those team names that isn't translated by the Spanish-language media so the lack of translation is actually correct.

But team names usually aren't translated by any media. For example, you would not expect ESPN to report a story on the Munich Bavarians. It's a German team, and its name in German is Bayern Munich, so in English we call it Bayern Munich rather than translating the name into English. That would not make it "correct" if Bayern Munich decided to have an American appreciation night and they slapped the word "The" on their jersey. The only sensible way to change up your jersey for this kind of a promotion is to translate the name, as the Brewers and Giants do (and as the Nationals did for a t-shirt giveaway once, though without either translating their actual on-field jersey script or slapping on a "los" patch). That, or don't change up your jersey at all.

My Caribbean fishing guidebook says that common Spanish names for the blue marlin are abanico, aguja, castero, prieta, and voladora. That last one has a nice ring and good jersey-script letter shapes, especially a first letter that it a Marlin could wrap around attractively. A Voladoras jersey would be pretty sweet. And by any reasonable measure more "correct" than what the Marlins actually did.

20082614447.png

LosArsenal.jpg

That is as ill-placed as this if the Anaheim Arsenal decided to do a Histhpandex (Butt-head said that) Heritage night. Seeing as how the Clippers were their affiliate, this would have made corporate sense. However this jersey would've been so cluttered the fans would need eye bleach.

Archived