Halloween Unis

BallWonk

I'm going to a huge costumed Halloween party on October 30, and decided for the first time ever to go with a sports-uniform costume.

I decided to go for a late-1950s Washington Senators uniform, because I already have a numbered Senators throwback jersey and the appropriate cap.

This meant I had to find pinstriped baseball pants, socks and stirrups, a vintage or vintage-style glove, and a vintage-looking undershirt. Fortunately, the jersey is modern poly, not flannel, so I was able to find someone with simple Rawlings baseball pants in my size with navy pinstripes. I found a pair of navy stirrups on eBay for $5 shipped. And I tracked down an Akadema Bob Feller model reproduction glove. Got a navy blue henley shirt from Target that resembles an old baseball undershirt. I'll be wearing a pair of very plain black lace-up shoes that sufficiently resemble old-time cleats for Halloween purposes. (I have vintage-style cleats for my vintage ball club, but metal cleats aren't practical for a party.)

While searching for the pants on eBay, I came across a cheap knockoff New York Knights jersey that looked like it was done using modern tackle-twill on a polyester jersey. From the Philippines. I put in a bid and won it for what I consider thrift-store price, and it arrived today. Very thin jersey material, but very well done lettering, number, and patches. Nothing I would ever wear normally -- I'll buy a real flannel one from Ebbets someday -- but perfect for costume purposes. (In case I wasn't sure that it was an Asian knockoff, it came packaged with a bootleg Blu-Ray of Anaconda 3 and a couple of obviously fake Dominos Pizza coupons.)

Since I have an Ebbets Knights cap, I might make a last-minute substitution and pinch-hit Roy Hobbs for my planned Senators costume. The only flaw would be no thick piping down the side of the pants.

Putting it together was slightly harder than I expected. First, because properly matching baseball pants can be hard to find, and all but impossible if you have to match pants to a flannel jersey, and second because proper stirrups are basically impossible to find. I have a pair of Senators stirrups on the way via Stirrup Club, but they may not arrive in time. If they don't, I'll be stuck with solid navy stirrups. Nobody else will know they're not accurate, but I will. It's almost enough to make me wear my replica 1961 Twins jersey instead. It would match the pants, and the Twins actually wore solid navy stirrups. Except I don't have a number on the back of that jersey, or a legit throwback Twins cap.

Anyway, a question: Have you dipped into your jersey collection for Halloween? If so, what jersey and when, and if not, why not?

I'll post pix after the party.

20082614447.png

One year while in college my friend and I went as First Round Hockey Draft Picks. He wore a Sharks jersey and I wore a Ducks jersey over a dress shirt, slacks, and tie. Last year I went as a Clippers bench warmer by wearing the home Clips uni, shooting shirt, and white warm ups. This year I will probably go as an inactive college football player again by wearing the jersey with some team colored warm ups.

sig.jpg

I once wore an erik kramer jersey for halloween. it freaked the crap out of some people, others it just left really confused

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Halloween '06:

1358722183_l.jpg

The eyeball hanging from the stick blade is my tribute to the legendary Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken.

Also, this past summer, for my friend's 4th of July WiffleFest, I dressed in a full 1994 Milwaukee Brewers uniform. For this Halloween, my almost-wife is thinking of going as me, which likely means a hat and a Whalers jersey.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Nice looking Blades jersey there Sod!

A few years ago I saw 4 or 5 guys who went as the Mighty Ducks. Averman, Banks, Conway, Goldberg were all in attendance. It was pretty good, they had the jerseys, purple hockey pants, helmets, sticks, and roller blades. Of course I had to ask the cake eater how his wrist was feeling.

One year while in college my friend and I went as First Round Hockey Draft Picks. He wore a Sharks jersey and I wore a Ducks jersey over a dress shirt, slacks, and tie. Last year I went as a Clippers bench warmer by wearing the home Clips uni, shooting shirt, and white warm ups. This year I will probably go as an inactive college football player again by wearing the jersey with some team colored warm ups.

That's my plan for tomorrow. I have the 2008 Maple Leafs draft cap, an Edge jersey, my Hockey Fights Cancer tie, dress shirt, and some slacks. It's really not much different from what I wear to work any other day, other than the jersey and the hat. I work in an office with a bunch of stiffs, so I can't go too over the top, otherwise I'd break out the hockey gear!

I was an Ohio State football player in 3rd grade. My dad's friend played for the team in the 80's and I wore all of his equipment. The gag was that all of the pads and helmet were way too big for a 9 year old.

PvO6ZWJ.png

i was once a gorilla wearing a 70's soviet hockey jersey and brown cargo pants.

i like to mix and match costumes. why be a baseball player or a zombie, if you can be a zombie baseball player? why be a gorilla or a doctor, when you can be dr. bananas?

Didn't receive my Senators-striped stirrups in time, but otherwise a reasonably authentic 1959/1960 Senators uniform, rendered in modern poly.

15149_1259199446523_1425764334_769340_1364447_n.jpg

The number on the back is 24, which doesn't stand for any particular player. (In the late 1950s, several not particularly memorable pitchers wore #24 for the Nats.) So I told people who asked that I was Joe Boyd.

Not sure if this qualifies for an OCD diagnosis, but I even vintage-ized the ball. I sandpapered off all the markings on the ball, then went back over it with a very fine grain to smooth the surface, then soaked it in coffee to get a rubbed-in-mud game ball patina.

20082614447.png

I was at an 80s-themed birthday party last weekend (everyone dressed like it was the 80s) and suddenly "Jim Craig" walked in, complete with the USA jersey (and contrasting nameplate) and draped in a flag. Someone who was at the party had to have posted pics.

Didn't receive my Senators-striped stirrups in time, but otherwise a reasonably authentic 1959/1960 Senators uniform, rendered in modern poly.

15149_1259199446523_1425764334_769340_1364447_n.jpg

The number on the back is 24, which doesn't stand for any particular player. (In the late 1950s, several not particularly memorable pitchers wore #24 for the Nats.) So I told people who asked that I was Joe Boyd.

Not sure if this qualifies for an OCD diagnosis, but I even vintage-ized the ball. I sandpapered off all the markings on the ball, then went back over it with a very fine grain to smooth the surface, then soaked it in coffee to get a rubbed-in-mud game ball patina.

Archived