Around the NBA

Carter23

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those Houston alternates look awful. Maybe they wouldn't be so bad if they didn;t have the yellow side panel and were therefore a bit closer to the actual red/yellow rockets unis.

i've wanted the rockets to return to yellow ever since they went to those pajama jerseys, but i have to agree with you... something seems "off," but I can't pinpoint it... maybe the white outlining the yellow, since they're both lighter colors?

The thing that's off is the fact the only yellow on the "classic" Rockets jerseys only fairly subtle trim, and the only think these jerseys really throwback to is the jerseys of forgettable 1970s Rockets.

Interesting thing is that the comments section seems attuned to this, but the boards are pining for the days of Rudy T and Calvin Murphy rather than Hakeem.

Funny thing is, those action pics look a little bit better than I thought they would.

The only thing that I can even think to argue with that the Mark Price era jerseys aren't anything short of fantastic is the logo, everything else is great, colors, layout, simplicity, all fantastic. The logo could use some work, but it was a 90's logo...

Not to get all anal, but that logo was introduced in 1983...

I love that the Magic's throwback even has the gold NBA logo from the 50th anniversary season. THAT is attention to detail. :D

It?s not the 50th Anniversary NBA logo, it?s the Hardwood Classic NBA logo.

Now THAT is attention to detail. I was going to point that out too. :D

But but but but but but but but wait, I thought that the Hardwood Classic logo was the NBA logo with a bit of a dark fade to it (the red is a little maroon, the white is creamish, & the blue was navy)...guess I was wrong. Still looks nice, though.

What you are describing is the Hardwood Classic logo, which is different from the 50th Anniversary NBA jersey logo you mentioned. That logo was a shiny gold outline of the NBA logo without any red or blue.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I love that the Magic's throwback even has the gold NBA logo from the 50th anniversary season. THAT is attention to detail. :D

It?s not the 50th Anniversary NBA logo, it?s the Hardwood Classic NBA logo.

Now THAT is attention to detail. I was going to point that out too. :D

But but but but but but but but wait, I thought that the Hardwood Classic logo was the NBA logo with a bit of a dark fade to it (the red is a little maroon, the white is creamish, & the blue was navy)...guess I was wrong. Still looks nice, though.

What you are describing is the Hardwood Classic logo, which is different from the 50th Anniversary NBA jersey logo you mentioned. That logo was a shiny gold outline of the NBA logo without any red or blue.

Here's the differences between all three.

NBA_Logos.png

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

The good....

Those Magic uniforms are awesome. The current set needs to take more cues from them, specifically the stars on the shorts. A Pistons-esque update of the original set would give them some of the best looking uniforms in the league.

The bad....

The Rockets' current identity with gold in place of silver has been tried, and it looks terrible. The Rockets currently have one of the simplest and iconic logos/uniform sets in the NBA. Hopefully this less then pleasant experiment with the old colours will make them and the fans calling for a return to the boring old set realize that.

The ugly....

On aesthetics alone, those Cavs throwbacks aren't as bad as the Rockets' alternates. When taken into context, however, they are much, much worse. The Rockets' alt may seem awful compared to the primaries, but at least it retains the same general brand. The primary colour is the same, and the same font and logo is used. It does succeed in tying itself to the existing identity. The Cavs throwbacks, however, fail at this. They're from a period in the team's history when they had a completely different (and much worse) visual identity then they do now. While the colours and logo kind of work, even if it's in a sort of knock-off Knicks way, they just don't hold a candle to the existing "primary" set (which includes the primary alternate, a term that makes my head hurt).

It would be one thing if this was a one season thing to celebrate an anniversary. While it is the team's 40th anniversary this isn't a one-season occurrence or the only "alternate" they've trotted out. The Cavs, despite having one of the best visual identities in the NBA, have felt the need, for seasons now, to dilute their brand with numerous throwbacks in a single season, plus a wide variety of pointless fauxback special event jerseys (didn't they make up a throwback a season or two ago to celebrate a new official message board or something?).

A team should have three sets of uniforms, at most. A home, road, and alternate. The alternate can be a throwback if the team decides so, but they can only have one, and they can only wear it a limited amount of times. If the team opts not to make the alternate a throwback, then throwbacks should be restricted to seasons when a big anniversary is celebrate or an old player is honoured.

Again, this is tragic because the primary set (whine road, white home, navy primary alternate, uggg) is very, very good, and looks amazing when worn as intended.

Add another Uniform to the Cavaliers wardrobe... or is it going to be CAVS? Tonight they are wearing either a pink uniform (or a uniform with pink) to support Breast Cancer Awareness.

CAVS in Pink

Headline: Fans and Players will be "In the Pink" to "Box Out Breast Cancer" at Cavs vs. Chicago Bulls Game Friday Night at The Q

Why was that put in quotations? Is that supposed to be funny? Or am I the only person that read way to much into that?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Add another Uniform to the Cavaliers wardrobe... or is it going to be CAVS? Tonight they are wearing either a pink uniform (or a uniform with pink) to support Breast Cancer Awareness.

CAVS in Pink

Headline: Fans and Players will be "In the Pink" to "Box Out Breast Cancer" at Cavs vs. Chicago Bulls Game Friday Night at The Q

Why was that put in quotations? Is that supposed to be funny? Or am I the only person that read way to much into that?

Maybe it sounds like "In the Paint"? Boxing out, in the paint...I don't know. Maybe they are making the paint Pink. Their hardwood/fan games have recolored floors apparently, so why not?

CAVS in Pink

Maybe it sounds like "In the Paint"? Boxing out, in the paint...I don't know. Maybe they are making the paint Pink. Their hardwood/fan games have recolored floors apparently, so why not?

Wait, the Cavs recolored their floor for the Hardwood Classic games?

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

There's something fishy about this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Outside of the most obvious (the numeral font), and some subtle differences (like a darker blue for Cleveland), the 1989-94 Cavs roads and the Knicks old road blues pretty much look the same.

While the similarities are evident, the two uniforms are also different in many ways. Back in those days most NBA teams had similair uniforms.

A few differences here are:

- Cavs have 3 colored collars, Knicks have 2.

- Waist bad is different.

- Player name is different style.

- Knicks have side inserts on the shorts

- Knicks have logo on shorts

But yeah, definetely very similair.

Archived