New UMBC Logo

BaltimoreFan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that the subject of UMBC logos has come up: Is the current logo supposed to play tricks on the eyes and mind, or is it just me? I see a dog with an open mouth sometimes, and other times the open mouth is just part of the neck and the dog looks straight-faced. Anyone understand what I'm saying? Anyone else ever been tricked by this?

I've never noticed until you just now pointed it out. I always saw the dog with the mouth open, which was a small reason why I didn't really like it.

Option 1 reminds me of a cross between NIU's logo and University of Washington's. It is still the best of the choices presented. The UMBC bugs me more than the dog. I can blame it on Phoenix Designs but I am tired of City or Berthold or Square or any other names for that font. It was great when the Michigan Panthers used it in the 1980's but it so overused today.

Seriously, no one sees this?

newlogos.jpg

Definately a rip.. look at the snout detail. Shameful!

There's definitely an influence--it's clear that the artist simply wanted to design a retriever in the style of the NIU Husky (same logo designer perhaps?). But the logos themselves are different enough that I don't find anything wrong the shared elements. From a copyright/trademark standpoint, I'm sure there will be no issues.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

If they wanted a "fiercer" logo pick another breed of dog. A retriever is by nature a big lovable friendly dog. Trying to make it "fierce" is just silly.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I think that #1 is the best of the bunch, having said that it... it isnt dynamic in any means, the font is awful.

You can do something unique with a dog. I did a logo for Pace University and they were they were the Setters.

Pace.jpg

A retriever is always alert and willing to pounce i think you have to take that idea into the drawing.

Nice to see a fellow Retriever in this forum. For the logos, option 1 is definitely the best of the three, but hardly anything to write home about. I wish they went with much a bigger change rather than just the dog. I've never liked the font they've been using.

JoseART

Archived