Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Air Force has national appeal.

Maybe among members of the Air Force, but not among a general nationwide audience... not even close.

Part of that is because nobody ever gets to see them play (Thanks again, The Mtn.!). Air Force has one of the most exciting brands of football around.

It's also worth noting that Air Force has little to gain from joining a BCS AQ conference, since the Service Academies are all run by the U.S. Government, and attending the US Air Force Academy comes with some pretty considerable commitments.

From the same person who kept me informed on Texas A&M situation.

Missouri is expected to go to the SEC West with Auburn moving to the east.

Just saw this on ESPN. Not happy.

Missouri is NOT Southern.

I consider Missouri "Southern" if you extend the Mason-Dixon line, but different strokes for differnet folks.

Word leaking now that WVU's applications to the ACC/SEC have been denied...

http://twitter.com/#!/McMurphyCBS/status/116175835815350272

This certainly won't do any favors for the likes of Boise State. A rather damning sign, really.

West Virginia has the longtime football/basketball history and bigger, more passionate fan base that Boise State doesn't have. Yet, got rejected by a conference known for academic prowess (ACC) as well as a conference known for athlethic success (SEC).

No way in hell Boise State gets invited by the Big Ten or Pac-12, seeing as how they also target schools with high academic appeal. Boise State's best hope is that whatever's left of the Big XII suddenly invites mid-tier schools and has sustained success in multiple money sports. Kansas basketball aside, good luck getting far with the likes of Baylor, Iowa State, and Kansas State.

It's a shame Syracuse and Pitt had to leave the Big East.

They could have had Navy as a conference foe.

I think the bigger news is, the Big East was targeting AIR FORCE? I thought TCU was a sketch but JESUS, that's almost Pac-12 territory! Might as well change their name just The Big, if you're going to go that far west.

How the hell is Air Force getting serious consideration for AQ status? Their market is smaller than Boise State's, considering that Colorado is Buffs country. They've also done jack :censored: compared to Boise State, TCU, or even Nevada lately. They're usually a tough team to beat but they also don't really have any signature wins.

Service academies have huge national followings. Certainly larger than Boise State. No matter where they play, there's a base within a couple hours' drive full of servicemen that'll come see their team play, no matter their record.

It's not all about success on the field. It's about potential money and national following.

Maybe West Virginia was too crazy for the SEC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As a Mizzou fan in Memphis, I'm stoked about this possible move to the SEC. I'd love being able to go to Starkville, Oxford, Fayetteville, etc. to see Mizzou play! Mizzou must go if they get an offer; they cannot wait around for OU and Texas to make up their minds. And they cannot wait for the B1G to come calling (we all know how well that worked out last time).

As George W. said, "Fool me once, shame on, shame on you...fool me...you can't get fooled again."

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I guess this whole "academics matter in conference realignment" spiel actually does matter in the case of WVU in ACC. I'm a bit bummed out by that, though. If they weren't able to go to the SEC, I would've loved for them to tag along with us and Pitt to the ACC and keep some good football rivalries alive (well, the Backyard Brawl will more than likely survive but you know what I mean).

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Maybe West Virginia was too crazy for the SEC.

It might have to do with the unofficial slogan "Win or lose, we still booze!".

At least it's not as bad as Maryland's "Win or lose, we still cause seven-figure dollar totals worth of property damage!"

Service academies have huge national followings. Certainly larger than Boise State. No matter where they play, there's a base within a couple hours' drive full of servicemen that'll come see their team play, no matter their record.

True, but what about ratings? Sure, plenty of servicemen will be watching every week, but how do you convince a general nationwide audience to watch Air Force, as opposed to non-AQ's that have actually won high-profile games and BCS bowls but still might get left out in the cold?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

True, but what about ratings? Sure, plenty of servicemen will be watching every week, but how do you convince a general nationwide audience to watch Air Force, as opposed to non-AQ's that have actually won high-profile games and BCS bowls but still might get left out in the cold?

Nobody watches Boise games because they just assume they're going to blow everybody out. And usually, they're right. Even if they were in a BCS conference, the novelty would wear out after the first year. And i saw you change your post, and we still know who you're talking about :)

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

You know, Boise might not be in terribly bad shape staying in the Mountain West. They'll get some of the scraps from the Big 12, probably keep TCU with the Big East disaster going on, they've got the WAC's stronger programs coming in next year, and who knows they might get the Big East/Big 12's BCS bid to keep it 6.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

You know, Boise might not be in terribly bad shape staying in the Mountain West. They'll get some of the scraps from the Big 12, probably keep TCU with the Big East disaster going on, they've got the WAC's stronger programs coming in next year, and who knows they might get the Big East/Big 12's BCS bid to keep it 6.

Hopefully you're right, because that would be the best-case scenario for just about everyone... but I'm still mentally preparing myself for yet another screwjob courtesy of the BCS cartel.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Oh and the Mizzou is not southern idea is kind of right, kind of not. IMHO, driving from Memphis to St. Louis, the south ends around Sikeston, MO (halfway point) at Lambert's Cafe where they throw rolls at you.

But when did geography and counting become important in naming college football conferences. My alma mater plays in a 14-team basketball league known as the Atlantic 10.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Big East football leadership minus Cuse and Pitt met in NYC tonight.

KySportsRadio Matt Jones

Big East Commish says remaining teams have pledged to stay in league: UL, Cincy, USF, West Va, TCU, Rutgers and UCONN. Adding 2 replacements

11 minutes ago

Navy and Army?

Can't say I wouldn't argue with that. Wouldn't mind giving the Irish an ultimatum though.

Oh, and in case my quote from another forum wont suffice you, here's the ESPN story:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6998720/commissioner-john-marinatto-says-schools-committed-big-east

Oh and the Mizzou is not southern idea is kind of right, kind of not. IMHO, driving from Memphis to St. Louis, the south ends around Sikeston, MO (halfway point) at Lambert's Cafe where they throw rolls at you.

But when did geography and counting become important in naming college football conferences. My alma mater plays in a 14-team basketball league known as the Atlantic 10.

I'm in Cape where a line would be better drawn. :)

Hey, at least we border 3 SEC states. That's a rarity nowadays.