Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

SEC denies that Mizzou has been invited to the conference:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post?id=28515

They did the same thing with Texas A&M. Once again, they don't want to seem like the aggressor in all of this.

That's what I'm going with. It changes so often that for now I'm just picking a lane and sticking with it. This carousel of conferences is starting make me dizzy.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6999866/big-12-discuss-commissioner-dan-beebe-job-status-source-says

Expansion also will be on the table for the presidents, the source said, with the three likely candidates BYU (Independent in football/West Coast Conference in other sports) and Big East schools Louisville and West Virginia. Those were three of the five schools that the Big 12 athletic directors were charged to call when Texas A&M announced it was leaving.

baltimoreravens.png

Talks about saving the Big 12 are under way. From what I hear A&M (obviously) and Missouri are out. SMU, Houston, TCU, and BYU are reportedly getting invited in.

Wow, the Big XII is really desperate aren't they?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I think ODU would need more seating capacity, if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Probably so, but that could easily be accomplished by adding on to the north end zone bleachers. Further expansion could be accomplished by building decks over the current (historic) east and west stands.

I believe ODU made their football team with the intent to play in the CAA for the foreseeable future. ODU has big rivalries in-state with JMU and W&M which would be lost with a unilateral move to FBS. Also the non-AQ FBS options aren't particularly attractive to ODU right now. C-USA would be a lateral move in basketball and the travel costs would be a huge drawback.

All good points. OTOH, FBS would give ODU a chance to play in a serious bowl game, which can help with recruiting as well as the school's national profile (both athletically and academically). The only way for schools like ODU to continue growing is to take the step to the next level - if they're ready to cover the increased costs involved.

UNC-Charlotte, on the other hand, has made it clear they are going all-in with their bid to get into FBS. I think they're aiming to join C-USA to give East Carolina a travel partner and a conference rivalry the Pirates currently lack.

Could be, but remember that Charlotte isn't going to start playing until 2013 and even then they're only going to be at the FCS level. There's no specific date at which they'll move up to FBS and their stadium will only hold about 15,000 in the short term. It may be 5-7 years from now before they actually take the next step.

Talks about saving the Big 12 are under way. From what I hear A&M (obviously) and Missouri are out. SMU, Houston, TCU, and BYU are reportedly getting invited in.

Why would they invite TCU who is already joining the seemingly stable for now Big East?

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

If I'm Oklahoma, I'm still looking for a divorce from Texas. It's pretty clear Texas isn't getting rid of their network and because of that, Oklahoma got denied their move. I don't want to see college football change so drastically, but I think it would be in Oklahoma's best interest to find a new home that isn't shared with the Longhorns.

The Big East? :blink:

TLN isn't part of basic cable, is it? If not, it'll probably end up like The Mtn. - unwatched and irrelevant, and more trouble than it's worth. Hopefully, for the sake of college athletics as a whole, Texas cuts its losses sooner rather than later.

Unintentional puns, HURRAH! In all seriousness, I would like to see OU, Ok St, TT, and Houston to join. That would not only make the conference much more competitive, but it would also expand the market a bit. The only other option other than Houston would be Nevada or UNLV, and we've discussed that to death.

Any combination of those teams would get Colorado steamed for bringing in schools that would divide the conference into east and west (even if it is in four-school segments - it would still be NE/NW/SE/SW).

Pod system I saw kicked around was round robin against your pod and 2 games against the other 3 pods. That guarantees every "east" school two trips to the West Coast per season.

Only two? Colorado has at least three trips to the west coast guaranteed - four if they don't play at Utah - every season with the deal they have in place now. It's entirely possible with the addition of OU, Okie State, TTech, and ____ that they play a conference schedule in football one season without ever setting foot in the state of California.

Not under the pod system. All of the California schools would be in a pod, which means one guaranteed trip to California for everyone.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The University of Richmond may consider a move to the Big East. Another FCS school going big?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/college-sports/2011/sep/21/tdsport01-big-east-calling-a-possibility-for-ur-ar-1324892/

ACC should swap Duke with them.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, I don't see the Oklahomas being keen on sticking around in that scenario.

Today, we are all otaku.

All good points. OTOH, FBS would give ODU a chance to play in a serious bowl game, which can help with recruiting as well as the school's national profile (both athletically and academically). The only way for schools like ODU to continue growing is to take the step to the next level - if they're ready to cover the increased costs involved.

Yes! Yes! Think of the prestige that comes from losing a million dollars playing in front of 10,000 shivering people in the MagicJack Who Gives A :censored: Bowl in Random Southern Crumbling Stadiumsburg, USA.

Today, we are all otaku.

The University of Richmond may consider a move to the Big East. Another FCS school going big?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/college-sports/2011/sep/21/tdsport01-big-east-calling-a-possibility-for-ur-ar-1324892/

nvm

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

A little taste of your own medicine.

Richmond would be better than Duke? The same school that has an 8,000 seat stadium would bring in more money than one of the richest universities in the country, not to mention the biggest tv draws (in terms of basketball) in the country. They should be ousted for an FCS school? Yeah, good luck with that.

That Joke.

Your Head.

6fQjS3M.png

A little taste of your own medicine.

Richmond would be better than Duke? The same school that has an 8,000 seat stadium would bring in more money than one of the richest universities in the country, not to mention the biggest tv draws (in terms of basketball) in the country. They should be ousted for an FCS school? Yeah, good luck with that.

That Joke.

Your Head.

Well, I've always sucked at detecting sarcasm. I guess I was just over anxious. Sorry about that.

Yes! Yes! Think of the prestige that comes from losing a million dollars playing in front of 10,000 shivering people in the MagicJack Who Gives A :censored: Bowl in Random Southern Crumbling Stadiumsburg, USA.

Playing in the FCS National Championship game is much better?

FBS is always better than FCS, even if you have to deal with playing in the Champs Sports Bowl or whatever for a decade or more.

What I mean by national profile is this: Virtually no one outside of the east coast knows what or where ODU is currently. Playing at the FBS level could put the school on national TV, giving the school a chance to make a name of itself through advertising both its athletics and academics. It'd let people all across the country know who they are. This is the reason why some FCS schools are hot to trot to make it to the FBS level (ie, Charlotte, Georgia State, UTSA, etc.).

FBS is always better than FCS, even if you have to deal with playing in the Champs Sports Bowl or whatever for a decade or more.

What I mean by national profile is this: Virtually no one outside of the east coast knows what or where ODU is currently. Playing at the FBS level could put the school on national TV, giving the school a chance to make a name of itself through advertising both its athletics and academics. It'd let people all across the country know who they are. This is the reason why some FCS schools are hot to trot to make it to the FBS level (ie, Charlotte, Georgia State, UTSA, etc.).

Most people don't really differentiate between random Conference USA/MAC/Sun Belt team and certainly cannot specifically identify them as such. As for Bowls, seriously, those things cost schools serious jack. Shoot, Connecticut lost a couple of million dollars for playing IN A BCS BOWL. Is this really worth it?

Today, we are all otaku.

Most people don't really differentiate between random Conference USA/MAC/Sun Belt team and certainly cannot specifically identify them as such. As for Bowls, seriously, those things cost schools serious jack. Shoot, Connecticut lost a couple of million dollars for playing IN A BCS BOWL. Is this really worth it?

No, it's not. That's part of the reason why Montana hasn't been in a rush to join FBS (along with the fact that it would probably be joining the WAC if it did make the jump).

ODU realizes that success in basketball is easier for them to attain than success in football in terms of becoming a national presence, as they only really need to look across the CAA to rivals VCU and George Mason. Winning all one's games at the FBS level doesn't guarantee you anything when you play in the MAC (just ask Ball State) or Conference USA (just ask Tulane). And that's probably where ODU would end up if they made the leap.

There's also the travel cost aspect. Flying to El Paso to play a Thursday night game on ESPN U is a headache for everyone.

How much seats should a Division 1 FBS stadium hold?

I believe the minimum is 15,000.