Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

And college sports dies just a little more with that press conference.

Goodbye, Civil War. Hello, Missouri selling its soul for $EC cash.

Yeah, cuz their primary concern should be "how will it make Kansas feel?"

Mizzou wants to continue the rivalry. It's KU who's whining and saying they don't want to play em.

Well when Mizzou's departure raises the threat of the Big XII's collapse and your team having to play in the Mountain West or Big East or Missouri Valley then yeah, I'd be a tad bitter too.

Make no mistake: if Texas or OU leaves the Big XII, KU (along with K-State, ISU and Baylor) are going to be left out in the cold.

Well, I think they would have looked nice with a B1G logo on the jersey, but their style of play definitely fits the SEC. The next 2 weeks should be interesting. The first major conference with 14 teams. I expect this to send a bigger ripple through the NCAA ranks. There is money to be had, had it will be.

Well the ACC has already expanded to 14, just waiting on to find out when Pitt and Cuse can come over. My guess whatever the WVU-Big East settlement is will guide for those two.

Well, Pitt and Syracuse could be any time from next year to 2014. No one really knows. Missouri seems to be starting play in 2012. Although the ACC is considered one of the 4 and 1/2 remaining major conferences, when it comes to football, the ACC is solid, but I wouldn't consider them a power house.

I felt like the big impact was going to come from either the Big Ten or the SEC pushing to 14 teams. I could even see the PAC 12 moving to 14, however I don't think it would be as big of a splash because the schools that they are likely to add are significantly smaller (Utah) or have been fairly irrelevant in college football for a long time (Colorado).

The big ripple would be from the Big Ten and SEC because they were likely to pick up teams along the lines of Notre Dame, Missouri, West Virginia, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. etc. etc.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The big ripple would be from the Big Ten and SEC because they were likely to pick up teams along the lines of Notre Dame, Missouri, West Virginia, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Texas, Oklahoma, etc. etc. etc.

Notre Dame is only going to be looking for a home for its non-football sports. Remember: they had ample opportunity to join the B1G but declined, even though every B1G school makes more money from the Big Ten Network than ND does from their NBC deal plus their Big East contract.

Also it's worth noting the B1G is the one conference that still pretends like academics mean something, which narrows the list of possible expansion candidates to AAU Member Institutions (or at the very least schools with reputable academics). That eliminates about half of the Big XII right off the bat, and limits the ACC to Maryland and Georgia Tech. (Virginia is joined at the hip with Va Tech, UNC and Duke are joined at the hip with Wake Forest and NC State.)

Notre Dame is only going to be looking for a home for its non-football sports. Remember: they had ample opportunity to join the B1G but declined, even though every B1G school makes more money from the Big Ten Network than ND does from their NBC deal plus their Big East contract.

Also it's worth noting the B1G is the one conference that still pretends like academics mean something, which narrows the list of possible expansion candidates to AAU Member Institutions (or at the very least schools with reputable academics). That eliminates about half of the Big XII right off the bat, and limits the ACC to Maryland and Georgia Tech. (Virginia is joined at the hip with Va Tech, UNC and Duke are joined at the hip with Wake Forest and NC State.)

If there are 4 or 5 conference of 16 teams, Notre Dame will join the Big Ten. As for the AAU schools, there still is Maryland and Rutgers, which the Big Ten has made it fairly clear that they are interested in. The only stipulation with Notre Dame is that they want to be the final member in the conference. They don't want to be an odd numbered team, nor do they want to be just another team in the realignment. If the PAC, SEC, ACC/East are all at 16 and the Big Ten is sitting at 15, Notre Dame will join.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Make no mistake: if Texas or OU leaves the Big XII, KU (along with K-State, ISU and Baylor) are going to be left out in the cold.

There were rumors way back when that the Big East would scoop up the Big 12 leftovers. Oh, and don't forget TCU.

I'm glad for Mizzou, but would've preferred them in the BigTen.

I agree about Kansas, KState, Iowa State and Baylor. They'll be left in the cold.

Texas Tech might be lucky enough to piggyback off the Longhorns and find a home. Meanwhile, Oklahoma/Oklahoma State are sort of a 2-for-1 special, apparently.

When this is all said and done, the Big12East mashup will probably fall apart or get relegated to non-BCS status.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I agree about Kansas, KState, Iowa State and Baylor. They'll be left in the cold.

Texas Tech might be lucky enough to piggyback off the Longhorns and find a home. Meanwhile, Oklahoma/Oklahoma State are sort of a 2-for-1 special, apparently.

When this is all said and done, the Big12East mashup will probably fall apart or get relegated to non-BCS status.

I could see the Big Ten being interested in Kansas State if they are looking for a 16th team, assuming Maryland, Rutgers, and Notre Dame have all agreed and Texas or Oklahoma are off the table.

I could see the Big Ten being interested in Kansas State if they are looking for a 16th team, assuming Maryland, Rutgers, and Notre Dame have all agreed and Texas or Oklahoma are off the table.

K-State isn't (and has never been) an AAU Member Institution - and their ranking of 143 by US News & World Report isn't exactly inspiring for a conference that actually takes academics into account.

I wonder what's really keeping Texas and Oklahoma in the Big XII Conference?

Something tells me the commissioner (whatever his name is) has handed those two schools "the keys to the car" -- giving them say in everything that happens within the conference. There is just no other way.....

6uXNWAo.png

I wonder what's really keeping Texas and Oklahoma in the Big XII Conference?

Something tells me the commissioner (whatever his name is) has handed those two schools "the keys to the car" -- giving them say in everything that happens within the conference. There is just no other way.....

So in other words, it's business as usual.

K-State isn't (and has never been) an AAU Member Institution - and their ranking of 143 by US News & World Report isn't exactly inspiring for a conference that actually takes academics into account.

K-State's getting a multi-billion dollar federal biowarfare research facility. The CIC would want in on that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

K-State's getting a multi-billion dollar federal biowarfare research facility. The CIC would want in on that.

Good facilities aren't what separates great universities from good ones, it's exceptional tenured faculty and a track record of having alumni who go out into the world and make big things happen (read: having things published in stuffy research journals).

Good facilities aren't what separates great universities from good ones, it's exceptional tenured faculty and a track record of having alumni who go out into the world and make big things happen (read: having things published in stuffy research journals).

And without research money you don't get either. If you get the money, the starving PhDs will come.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And without research money you don't get either. If you get the money, the starving PhDs will come.

... or you get tons of money and remain a Tier 3 school unranked by US News and World Report (just like Oklahoma State and Texas Tech).

Tech is still recovering from getting its accreditation suspended and Oklahoma State's sugar daddy fund didn't weather 2008 all that well.

Kansas State's FEDERALLY FUNDED facility is a different story entirely.

Today, we are all otaku.

You know folks, I was roundly criticized for my ideas on the Big East, NYU and other schools.

In light of Penn State, I agree with what was said about NYU deemphasizing sport. Penn State should do the same. Immediately. The toothless beat that is the NCAA can say what it wants; so can the Big 10. Penn State should be over. Go raid Maryland or whoever else you think fits the academic/demographic footprint.

The sport has become a travesty....USC, Ohio State, Miami and now this. Awful. Just awful.

Why can't we have a system like they have in Canada with Junion Hockey?