Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I wish someone could step in and centralize some of this musical chairs crap, but the problem is that if the NCAA tried, everyone would just quit the NCAA. Bunch of feudal lords and their vassals, minus the v.

Some say the Big 4 are expanding to break away from the NCAA. Play by their own rules.

I see Texas as the next domino to fall. Texas and another solid academic school like Kansas would give the Big Ten 16 teams and plunge realignemnt into chaos for one final time. I just don't see Virginia and UNC going to the Big Ten. No huge TV market!

It could be argued that by taking UNC and UVA, you bracket the DC market as well as Raleigh Durham (#27 US market), Norfolk/Virginia Beach (#43) and Richmond (#58) and lock them all down as Big Ten territory all in one fell swoop. Plus by bringing UNC on, you get the benefit of boosting the conference's basketball cachet.

I see Texas as the next domino to fall. Texas and another solid academic school like Kansas would give the Big Ten 16 teams and plunge realignemnt into chaos for one final time. I just don't see Virginia and UNC going to the Big Ten. No huge TV market!

1. North Carolina is a bigger TV market than Kansas.

2. The Big 12 teams aren't leaving the Conference. The TV money is centrally distributed by the Conference to which they just signed their TV money and broadcast rights over to for the next decade. And no, the Big XII won't give you the money even if you ask nicely, because Baylor, TCU, and Iowa State have everything to lose by giving up on said Conference and nothing to gain. So, nobody's leaving.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't see Florida State going to the SEC. If the Big XII makes it through all of this and the ACC does not, I think FSU and Clemson can be penciled in for the Big XII, with Georgia Tech and North Carolina shortly there after.

I also think they will land in the Big12. I do think the SEC is more possible than people think. It wasn't that long ago they got invited.

Yeah but this isn't your daddy's conference expansion. There are new rules, there are new players, there are new forces controlling the moves. I think Florida State could be a possibility to the SEC, but I think a number of other things must fall through before it happens. Most of all, I don't think Florida State wants to be in the SEC. I think that they think they can compete, but I think they think they can compete BETTER in the Big XII. Let's face it, FSU has been picked by a lot of experts to either be in the BCS Championship Game or be a top 5 team the last 2-3 years, and they have fallen short of the expectations.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I think the ony way for the ACC to survive is for Notre Dame to become a football member. They could set up the divisions so ND could still play BC, Pitt, Miami, Wake Forest, etc. every year. I think if ND joins as the 14th football member, FSU and Clemson won't leave and the ACC will stay at 14 barring Big Ten or SEC expansion.

I don't see Florida State going to the SEC. If the Big XII makes it through all of this and the ACC does not, I think FSU and Clemson can be penciled in for the Big XII, with Georgia Tech and North Carolina shortly there after.

I also think they will land in the Big12. I do think the SEC is more possible than people think. It wasn't that long ago they got invited.

Yeah but this isn't your daddy's conference expansion. There are new rules, there are new players, there are new forces controlling the moves. I think Florida State could be a possibility to the SEC, but I think a number of other things must fall through before it happens. Most of all, I don't think Florida State wants to be in the SEC. I think that they think they can compete, but I think they think they can compete BETTER in the Big XII. Let's face it, FSU has been picked by a lot of experts to either be in the BCS Championship Game or be a top 5 team the last 2-3 years, and they have fallen short of the expectations.

And yet their ESPN games outdraw ABC competition. FSU still is a top draw.

Here are two types of conferences, those with a network and those without. Each have different aims in expansion. For the network conferences the aim is to expand into new markets witha lot of tv sets. Those without it is to fortify the conference in hopes you can increase rights fees to keep up. Those with are Big Ten, SEC (in the works), and Pac-12. Those without are the ACC, Big 12 and the "Gang of Five"

Now I think after the ACC added ND as a partial the Big Ten saw them taking steps to becoming a network conference, that may have prevented them from expanding east as their plan and their was a sense of urgency to add UMD and Rutgers. I don't think there is that urgency anywhere else now so I don't think anything will happen soon. I think the SEC will expand once the network is up running and operating in the black. As for the Big12, they aren't a network conference so they have to worry about splitting the pie. Though adding FSU and Clemson (and maybe others) and getting back a championship game may be too lucrative if they see themselves getting outpaced by the Big Ten and SEC. Again though that could be a couple of years down the road.

I think the ony way for the ACC to survive is for Notre Dame to become a football member. They could set up the divisions so ND could still play BC, Pitt, Miami, Wake Forest, etc. every year. I think if ND joins as the 14th football member, FSU and Clemson won't leave and the ACC will stay at 14 barring Big Ten or SEC expansion.

Yes, but it won't happen. ND could have joined the Big East in 2003 and Miami, VT and BC would still be there. They could have joined full time a year or so ago and Pitt and Cuse wouldn't have left. They could have joined the ACC in full allowing the conference to also add Rutgers so the conference could have started a network and MD likely would not have left. They aren't joining full time.

But what about how Notre Dame makes a glorious commitment to America by playing against Army and/or Navy?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Notre Dame is more vulnerable than ever though. In 2003 or 2012, the Big Ten was still an option for the Irish as was the ACC. Notre Dame has since joined the ACC leaving the Big East for dead. And we all know that ND to the ACC really ticked off the Big Ten. Notre Dame can't just fall back into the arms of the Big Ten now if SuperConferences were to form. I don't think ND is in the plans of the Big Ten anymore. They are going for large, public, AAU, research universities. Notre Dame needs the ACC to have a seat at the table when SuperConferences come and once that becomes clear to them, they should join the ACC for football to strengthen the conference. Whether they realize that, I don't know.

But what about how Notre Dame makes a glorious commitment to America by playing against Army and/or Navy?

And what about how just about every other FBS school makes a glorious commitment to playing a tough gauntlet by playing against [insert favorite FCS school here]?

6fQjS3M.png

And what about how just about every other FBS school makes a glorious commitment to playing a tough gauntlet by playing against [insert favorite FCS school here]?

MDWM

That said I will acknowledge how Notre Dame plays Navy out of a real sense of World War Two obligation for how the Navy kept their doors open then. Although I'm sure the fact that the Middies typically remember their present place in the pecking order when they face Notre Dame also helps.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If thats true expect V-Tech to the SEC rumors to become more prevalent.

Yup....If it is true. That is the fun about all of this. A lot of wacky rumors get thrown around. The fun begins when one actually sticks. There is always one every year it seems.

Early morning rumor. UVA is having their B1G vote today.

The Board of Visitors legally cannot have a vote today.

While there is a regularly scheduled meeting for Wednesday, it is classified as Closed/Executive Session and a vote would still need to be public by Virginia law to adopt their decision. The BoV has this to say about tomorrow's agenda:

This meeting will be held in closed session for the purpose of conducting a routine annual evaluation of the President. There is no action that will come out of the meeting. There will not be an opportunity for comments from the public at this meeting.

Sorry, there is no vote going on. Just discussion. So says a Clemson and FSU guy for 247 sports. The FSU guy is tame and usually doesn't jump the gun. Good sign for anti ACC guys. I am chalking my lack of reading to my bourbon soaked weekend. Depression soaking from FSU. Then joy soaking from the Jags.

Sorry, there is no vote going on. Just discussion. So says a Clemson and FSU guy for 247 sports. The FSU guy is tame and usually doesn't jump the gun. Good sign for anti ACC guys. I am chalking my lack of reading to my bourbon soaked weekend. Depression soaking from FSU. Then joy soaking from the Jags.

They (BoV) can discuss it in Closed Session and leaving a conference is legally a contract and an exit fee in its size would need to be talked about. But again, they cannot vote by law.

Even if there was a meeting today, it would have had to been made public last Tuesday as it must be made public three business days before the meeting and Thursday and Friday were holidays. Unless another meeting is called, the next time the BoV will meet is February 21-22.

Legally, Maryland violated their state's open records law two weeks ago.