Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Tulane to the Big East old Conference USA.

That's what the Big East has become. Conference USA featuring Temple.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Exactly. Especially with ECU joining. The ACC is becoming the old Big East.

Edit: Navy to the ACC is a hot rumor today. Obviously a Notre Dame push. If it is true, that is.

...and Conference USA was just the old Metro featuring a couple schools from the Midwest.

Edit: Navy to the ACC is a hot rumor today. Obviously a Notre Dame push. If it is true, that is.

I'd consider adding Army too. Adding the east coast service academies would keep some of the "prestige" associated with the top-level academic institutions in the ACC, plus would give a presence (though muted) in both the NYC and Washington/Baltimore area markets. And of course, Army-Navy would be a conference game, adding more meaning to an already meaningful game.

Assuming you added Army/Navy and UConn/Louisville:

Army

Boston College

UConn/Louisville

Clemson

Florida State

NC State

Syracuse

Wake Forest

Duke

Georgia Tech

Miami

Navy

North Carolina

Pittsburgh

Virginia

Virginia Tech

* Plus Notre Dame for all other sports than football.

That's not half-bad, honestly. The question is, would it allow them to compete with the B1G and Big 12 when all is said and done?

I'd consider adding Army too. Adding the east coast service academies would keep some of the "prestige" associated with the top-level academic institutions in the ACC, plus would give a presence (though muted) in both the NYC and Washington/Baltimore area markets. And of course, Army-Navy would be a conference game, adding more meaning to an already meaningful game.

Assuming you added Army/Navy and UConn/Louisville:

Army

Boston College

UConn/Louisville

Clemson

Florida State

NC State

Syracuse

Wake Forest

Duke

Georgia Tech

Miami

Navy

North Carolina

Pittsburgh

Virginia

Virginia Tech

* Plus Notre Dame for all other sports than football.

That's not half-bad, honestly. The question is, would it allow them to compete with the B1G and Big 12 when all is said and done?

or until Florida State, Virginia Tech & Virginia leave :D

I'd consider adding Army too. Adding the east coast service academies would keep some of the "prestige" associated with the top-level academic institutions in the ACC, plus would give a presence (though muted) in both the NYC and Washington/Baltimore area markets.

Are you talking about adding Army and Navy in football only or in all sports? They could arguably compete in football and non-revenue sports. However, neither school has the facilities or potential talent level to be ACC-worthy in basketball. They each play in an arena that seats less than 6,000, with no nearby off-campus facility to use as a standby (a la Georgetown, Seton Hall or St. John's).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Yeah, Army and Navy are going to look great on the ol' RPI.

That said, they won't join for basketball and Olympic sports. Patriot League's possibly a bigger bastion of NCAA amateurism than the Ivy League and hoo boy they'd be getting massacred for decades if they tried to join a major conference from where they are at.

• Like 1
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why would Tulane subject themselves to a dying conference.

Seems appropriate for a school that features a dying athletic department

Dying athletic department? The school is beginnning construction of an on-campus football stadium, and a couple of years back it opened a brand-new on-campus baseball stadium (Turchin Field). More like after about 40 years of denying/downplaying the importance of collegiate athletics, Tulane finally "gets it".

Just heard the end of the press conference on the radio. They officially begin play w/ Big East in July 2014. Seems like basketball postioning is as (if not more) important with this affiliation than football.

It is what it is.

I am curious to the B16 TEN's end game. I still think they pine for Notre Dame, even if it doesn't increase their footprint. I think Virginia is definitely in the B16 TEN's sights, and will probably be the 15th member.

I am curious if they then extend an invite to Notre Dame one final time, or if they go ahead and try to add either Kansas State or North Carolina (I don't think Georgia Tech is a legitimate possibility). The only reason I see the B16 TEN inviting Kansas State or North Carolina over Notre Dame goes back to the cliche of "living well is the best revenge." Adding Virginia and Kansas State/North Carolina, would certiantly lead to Virginia Tech and NC State joining the SEC, would give almost a big middle finger to Notre Dame saying yeah, go join the ACC with the rest of the football left overs.

I think the ACC needs to be proactive rather than reactive. If Virginia, Virginia Tech, NC State and possibly UNC all leave the conference, the ACC could be on the outside looking in as the Big XII could then snatch up Florida State and Clemson and become a REAL Big XII. The Big XII certaintly won't be in the same shape they were in pre-Realignment, but they will definitely be sitting at the Adult table instead of the Kids table.

As we have seen, upping the exit fee isn't really having the effect that we thought. Sure, $50 million is a big number, but when the B16 TEN and SEC are hanging profits of $25-$30 million in the first year... a school sees a $50 million as a small set back that could be covered completely, in the first 2-5 years of joining the new conference.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Let's recap because a lot of good points have been made.

1. The Big East has officially become Conference USA. I actually do think Tulane is a good move though. They are in a major metropolitan area-like every current Big East school, except East Carolina and UConn.

2. Notre Dame will take control of the ACC. Suddenly, what Notre Dame wants to happen will start happening. I think Navy is a very realistic choice for football because it replaces the Baltimore market. The ACC is going to ask to ND to commit to the conference for football, possibly giving Notre Dame essentially, the right to chose their division. I think ND, seeing that the B1G might "give ND the finger" when SuperConferences form, will see that they need the ACC to survive and will commit for football.

Notre Dame

Navy

Syracuse

Boston College

Pittsburgh

Connecticut

Georgia Tech

Miami

Florida State

Clemson

UNC

Duke

NC State

Wake Forest

Virginia

Virginia Tech

If Notre Dame becomes a full member, I also think that prevents FSU and Clemson from darting to the Big XII although it may not keep other teams from defecting to the B16 Ten or SEC.

3. Seeing ESTONES6's post above got me thinking about K-State. While KSU's academics are very sub-par compared to the snotty Big Ten, but their rise to relevance in football might make them a better candidate than scandal-stricken and bowl-banned UNC or 1-11 Kansas. We'll see!

3. Seeing ESTONES6's post above got me thinking about K-State. While KSU's academics are very sub-par compared to the snotty Big Ten, but their rise to relevance in football might make them a better candidate than scandal-stricken and bowl-banned UNC or 1-11 Kansas. We'll see!

For the last time...Kansas State's academics are not in issue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cincy appears to also be joining the "let's join the ACC" fray. Appropriate mood music for this race/stampede follows.

Today, we are all otaku.