Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

If I were the Big XII and I were going to take an ACC team that had orange in their colors, Miami would third on the list of three.

Recruiting standpoint: FSU gets you the SoFla market

TV stand point: FSU gets you the SoFla market

Miami has attendance issues even when they're not in the NCAA's cross hairs. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I think they are getting by on two things. To make FSU feel at home in the Big12. Also, Miami still brings in ratings. Strange, I know. I can see Fox wanting them.

If I were the Big XII and I were going to take an ACC team that had orange in their colors, Miami would third on the list of three.

Miami has attendance issues even when they're not in the NCAA's cross hairs. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I think they are getting by on two things. To make FSU feel at home in the Big12. Also, Miami still brings in ratings. Strange, I know. I can see Fox wanting them.

Miami's also about to get carpet bombed by the NCAA. I'm not sure Florida State will want to bring along Miami after that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Miami's also about to get carpet bombed by the NCAA. I'm not sure Florida State will want to bring along Miami after that.

They wont get it as bad as people think. No way they get it worse than Penn St.

There's no dispute about the NCAA's jurisdiction here and Miami has far fewer resources with which to build a recovery. The NCAA also just flat out said that they'll assume the testimony they got is truthful unless the former Miami players come to them to contradict it.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There's no dispute about the NCAA's jurisdiction here and Miami has far fewer resources with which to build a recovery. The NCAA also just flat out said that they'll assume the testimony they got is truthful unless the former Miami players come to them to contradict it.

I have a feeling Miami's self imposed bowl ban is going to save them a lot of trouble (the NCAA seems to get off on schools punishing themselves).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I have a feeling Miami's self imposed bowl ban is going to save them a lot of trouble (the NCAA seems to get off on schools punishing themselves).

Which is why Ohio State REALLY should've self-imposed a bowl ban after going 6-6 last season; instead of losing the Gator Bowl last season, the Buckeyes could've been playing in the BCS National Championship.

Of course, that would mean my Badgers would likely have had to settle for the Buffalo Wild Wings or Meineke Car Care bowl...

bYhYmxh.png

*sometimes. They sometimes go easier. And you seem to be forgetting that the NCAA has found evidence of Golden's staff using Shaprio's right hand man in a shady manner. This whole situation is murky as hell right now but either way FSU would likely prefer Clemson heading to the Big XII with them over Miami. Clemson has passed Miami for FSU's second rivalry and Miami just continues to fall back.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

In regards to the Pac 12

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN

Pac 12's Larry Scott: "At this stage, I see no reason to go beyond 12 teams." If they did he said Pac-12 would look at Boise, SDSU

So I guess take any of the academic concerns the Pac 12 would have in getting to 14/16 and shoot them out of a cannon into the Pacific Ocean. Also the absurdity of the Pac 12 raiding the Big East would just be the most conference realignment thing to happen in conference realignment.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

In regards to the Pac 12

Pac 12's Larry Scott: "At this stage, I see no reason to go beyond 12 teams." If they did he said Pac-12 would look at Boise, SDSU

So I guess take any of the academic concerns the Pac 12 would have in getting to 14/16 and shoot them out of a cannon into the Pacific Ocean. Also the absurdity of the Pac 12 raiding the Big East would just be the most conference realignment thing to happen in conference realignment.

"Will look at Boise St and San Diego St" translates to "we're desperate to add teams and we're not sure we can get all of or any of the Oklahoma/Texas 4."

In regards to the Pac 12

"Will look at Boise St and San Diego St" translates to "we're desperate to add teams and we're not sure we can get all of or any of the Oklahoma/Texas 4."

I am hoping that translates to, "We think we wont be able poach the Big12 because they are about to add FSU." Fingers crossed.

I really hope it's not Georgia Tech. Virginia would be a very solid move and could force a change of heart in Notre Dame. These conferences are not taking in to account the fans and their travel distances. In the twelve team era, fans had one or two major trips and a bowl game if they were lucky. Now in the 16 team era, we are looking at teams having to travel five or six states, 3 or times per year, and if they are having a good season, a big bowl game. The fan support will be an all time low... Which could be exactly what these conferences want. Less people at the game, means more watching at home.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

In regards to the Pac 12

So I guess take any of the academic concerns the Pac 12 would have in getting to 14/16 and shoot them out of a cannon into the Pacific Ocean.

Considering the PAC-12 already has Cal, Stanford, UCLA, and USC, I think they're pretty stacked academics-wise. If they're really that concerned, then they should invite BYU instead of SDSU.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

In regards to the Pac 12

I am hoping that translates to, "We think we wont be able poach the Big12 because they are about to add FSU." Fingers crossed.

FSU isn't why they would or wouldn't be able to poach the Big 12. The Grant of media rights is. That said, you really wanted Oklahoma to lose today because the only thing that will really force the Big 12 to expand is the sense that the 9 game round robin is dicking the Conference out of access bowl bids.

Monday will be an interesting day. GT and UVA to the Big10 is starting to get some serious legs. We will see how serious in a couple of days.

Goddamnit. Rutgers and Maryland are stupid adds, but have some semblance of logic and reason backing them up. Georgia Tech would be an insanely stupid add, just to get a foothold in a market that is completely spoken for in college football (while Virginia is a bridge to nowhere). It'd be like the SEC adding Northern Illinois to get them into Chicago (or the Big East adding DePaul).

Also, :censored: Notre Dame. I don't want them in the Big Ten-they wreck every league they are in solely because they are hellbent on looking out for themselves alone; their loyalties within the league would always be suspect; and they make unreasonable demands that would instantly cause the league to fly apart.

• Like 1
Today, we are all otaku.

IMO Big12 really wants their championship game. They also want Florida. They will get FSU if they can. Even if that means a CCG that will make them millions more at Jerry World. The SEC doesn't have any problems getting extra teams in the BCS.

IMO Big12 really wants their championship game. They also want Florida. They will get FSU if they can. Even if that means a CCG that will make them millions more at Jerry World. The SEC doesn't have any problems getting extra teams in the BCS.

That's because their big boys don't really play each other all that often.

Today, we are all otaku.

If I'm the Pac-12 and I wanted to expand, it HAS to be Texas and Oklahoma. If they're going to water-things-up by adding Boise and San Diego State, they might as well take a hard look at UNLV, Fresno and UNM. <_<

And while I'm on the topic of Big XII schools -- Are they just waiting around for their 10 remaining teams to get picked off by other conferences? Sure fells like it.

6uXNWAo.png

I know next to nothing about college sports, nor do I really care (from a competition standpoint), however, I appreciate the history of these conferences and find it fascinating that the world is changing so drastically in the past few years since I can remember how big a deal it was when the Big 10 expanded for Penn State, and now that kind of thing is happening every other day.

So keeping in mind that I don't know much, I will pose three questions in the form of an enumerated list. Please answer:

1. Could these 16-team "super leagues" just make up their own rules, have their own conference semi-final and championship games, then agree with each other to sell the rights to games against the winners of the other super leagues? Like what could the NCAA do about it if these leagues just wanted to go rogue and govern themselves?

2. I realize there's existing TV deals that the NCAA signs (and presumably the conference leadership agrees to) but if say the "Big 10" were to dissolve or close up shop, would that void a deal? Then they just come back as Big 10 2.0 or something like that (same with the other super leagues?) It seems like there could be ways that everything that's currently in ink could be thrown out if these leagues wanted to do things on their own.

3. I was wondering why the season starts before labor day but ends around Thanksgiving, creating (in some cases) a 6+ week layoff for some big-time bowl teams. I guess it's because as you get in to finals weeks, many schools have them on Saturdays which could create conflicts for students and faculty who attend games, and the athletes themselves (though i'm sure their schedules could be worked around.) Is there a better reason? If #2 were to happen, there would have to be some December games, unless the "playoff" started in January, right?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BBTV-

For #2, the NCAA does not handle TV contracts for football at all. They are signed by the conferences.

There was a SCOTUS decision in 1984 which held the NCAA in violation of the Sherman Act and Clayton Act for antitrust for controlling TV revenues. Since they started after/became bigger and later bought the NIT, the NCAA basketball tournament does not apply.

For #3, the NCAA manual, which the schools vote on and agree to does set when the seasons (for all sports) start and end play.

2016 could be a year for any breakaway since that is the first year in which tougher academic standards for Freshmen will take effect. Basically, those in as HS Freshmen now have to follow the stricter academic standards.