Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

The main person behind the UVa/GT to B16 is a sports blogger for a TV station in DC with 500 Twitter followers trying to stir up crap and get more readers and followers. So far it has worked a bit as he is up to about 640.

He hasn't mentioned it since except to defend his source. This is just funny:

@Mr_KevinJones

Source: Georiga Tech and UVA will announce decision to leave ACC by Monday. Will join Big 10

@DavidGlennShow

@Mr_KevinJones that's a big story to break spelling one of the schools wrong, homey. Hope for your sake you're right but I doubt it.

@Mr_KevinJones

@DavidGlennShow source too credible not to report it

If it has legs, he may have just broken it too early or he misunderstood his source. Could have been they're talking and he said they're joining.

A WVU fan might have created rumors. In all likelihood, UVA and GT aren't going to leave IMHO.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Here is a tidbit on Barron's talk to FSU boosters today.

"He was very impressive and clearly focused on our academics. He did a great job. He did get one question on the ACC. He made it clear that there is a lot of nonsense on the boards and he called out the dude from WVU as being someone who is throwing out stories for his blog.

On the other hand, he made it clear that he studies all of this, he is in constant contact with "various presidents", and make no mistake - he is watching out for FSU and only FSU. To be blunt, he is all over this. Then he says cryptically that he thinks there will be changes. But he would say no more."

I'm telling you, the ACC is far from stable. I also don't think this is all a figment of a tweeter's imagination. Too much movement has been going on for us to continue to be oblivious to the master plan.

"He was very impressive and clearly focused on our academics. He did a great job. He did get one question on the ACC. He made it clear that there is a lot of nonsense on the boards and he called out the dude from WVU as being someone who is throwing out stories for his blog.

On the other hand, he made it clear that he studies all of this, he is in constant contact with "various presidents", and make no mistake - he is watching out for FSU and only FSU. To be blunt, he is all over this. Then he says cryptically that he thinks there will be changes. But he would say no more."

I'm telling you, the ACC is far from stable. I also don't think this is all a figment of a tweeter's imagination. Too much movement has been going on for us to continue to be oblivious to the master plan.

I really want FSU to stay so that the Big XII will collapse and enjoy the Louisville-FSU match-ups in the future. The "Dude" is just a WVU fan who is butt-hurt about Louisville's admittance to the ACC and how the ACC used academics to deny WVU from entering the conference. He's using rumors to get revenge on the ACC who didn't allow WVU and their "hillbillies" (How my fellow Cardinal fans call WVU fans) from entering the ACC. FSU is just better off staying in the ACC rather than risking their program's future in the Big XII.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

jackie-chan-wtf.png

Except the Dude has been floating expansion news/rumors for years now. This isn't just some butt-hurt move because WVU isn't in the ACC. WVU wanted SEC anyway.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I really want FSU to stay so that the Big XII will collapse and enjoy the Louisville-FSU match-ups in the future. The "Dude" is just a WVU fan who is butt-hurt about Louisville's admittance to the ACC and how the ACC used academics to deny WVU from entering the conference. He's using rumors to get revenge on the ACC who didn't allow WVU and their "hillbillies" (How my fellow Cardinal fans call WVU fans) from entering the ACC. FSU is just better off staying in the ACC rather than risking their program's future in the Big XII.

EDIT: I'll just say it this way, West Virginia fans aren't hillbillies.

Why would anybody at WVU care about Louisville and the ACC. The Big XII is ten times the conference the ACC is. Look at the beating WVU took in conference by the Big XII...Basically the same team that hung 70 on (ACC champion) Clemson last year.

1zqy8ok.gif

Why would anybody at WVU care about Louisville and the ACC. The Big XII is ten times the conference the ACC is. Look at the beating WVU took in conference by the Big XII...Basically the same team that hung 70 on (ACC champion) Clemson last year.

Does this mean we get to drop 49 on you guys again this year at the Pinstripe Bowl? FUTURE AY-SEE-SEE AY-SEE-SEE AY-SEE-SEE :P

Oh, and for more realignment lulz, some guy went on Twitter claiming to be a Wake Forest blogger that reported GT and Syracuse to the B1G. For a social experiment. I've now heard everything when it comes to realignment on Twitter.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Does this mean we get to drop 49 on you guys again this year at the Pinstripe Bowl? FUTURE AY-SEE-SEE AY-SEE-SEE AY-SEE-SEE :P

Oh, and for more realignment lulz, some guy went on Twitter claiming to be a Wake Forest blogger that reported GT and Syracuse to the B1G. For a social experiment. I've now heard everything when it comes to realignment on Twitter.

I fully expect Syracuse to score 49...and still lose by 15 :P

Air Raid Bitches! :upside:

1zqy8ok.gif

Louisville fans call West Virginia fans hillbillies.

L. O. L.

-----------------------------------------

More seriously, the ACC is on fire, owns the Notre Dame cuckoo, and has dangerous and unhealthy ideas about basketball's place in the world. Florida State cannot be blamed for wanting to head for the exit.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know next to nothing about college sports, nor do I really care (from a competition standpoint), however, I appreciate the history of these conferences and find it fascinating that the world is changing so drastically in the past few years since I can remember how big a deal it was when the Big 10 expanded for Penn State, and now that kind of thing is happening every other day.

So keeping in mind that I don't know much, I will pose three questions in the form of an enumerated list. Please answer:

1. Could these 16-team "super leagues" just make up their own rules, have their own conference semi-final and championship games, then agree with each other to sell the rights to games against the winners of the other super leagues? Like what could the NCAA do about it if these leagues just wanted to go rogue and govern themselves?

2. I realize there's existing TV deals that the NCAA signs (and presumably the conference leadership agrees to) but if say the "Big 10" were to dissolve or close up shop, would that void a deal? Then they just come back as Big 10 2.0 or something like that (same with the other super leagues?) It seems like there could be ways that everything that's currently in ink could be thrown out if these leagues wanted to do things on their own.

3. I was wondering why the season starts before labor day but ends around Thanksgiving, creating (in some cases) a 6+ week layoff for some big-time bowl teams. I guess it's because as you get in to finals weeks, many schools have them on Saturdays which could create conflicts for students and faculty who attend games, and the athletes themselves (though i'm sure their schedules could be worked around.) Is there a better reason? If #2 were to happen, there would have to be some December games, unless the "playoff" started in January, right?

So along with these questions, if these 4 super conferences are able to start dictating the rules (which I think they could be able to do) and become the defacto governing body for college athletics (at least football), could we see the end of Division 1 and 1-AA (FBS and FCS or whatever) as we know it, since for all intents and purposes, the 64 teams in the super leagues are really the 1st division? Like aren't FCS and FBS NCAA sanctioned designations? Couldn't the NWO of college athletics just say "look - it's us and only us."?

NCAA President Mark Emmert, who was formerly the President at both LSU and Washington, acknowledges that there is a disconnect when one school as a $100M budget, but another Division I school has a budget of just $20M.

Keep in mind that seven Division I conferences (ACC, Big10, Big12,BigEast, C-USA, Pac12, SEC) control nearly 39% of the voting power in NCAA committees. Plus, only Division I football playing teams can vote on football matters, and only in their (sub)division and there are rarely rollcall votes on matters.

There is a already a cases in which there was a formation of league to regulate itself away from the NCAA.

First was the AIAW, which ran women's sport in the early 1970's even before Title IX was passed in 1979 and was still the main organization until around 1982. They were the primary organization before the NCAA started women's competition, so the NCAA was paying expenses for teams to play in their events over the AIWA, as they did in the 1960's in gaining traction over the NIT for basketball.

Second and currently, Andy Staples of SI gave the example of college rodeo working by itself and could be the possible model for a football breakaway.

During this realignment period, the former NCAA President, Cedric Dempsey has been interviewed in the last two years on that subject and here are his thoughts especially over the ability to honor the true cost of a year in school outside of the tuition.

His 2011 thoughts.

His 2012 thoughts.

Well, you know he basically said there that "The Dude" throws a lot of crap on the wall and hope somethings sticks and he isn't legit............but he may be right on something here.

The things im hearing. Not one thing from twitter. I think FSU bolts before December ends.

Any sources? Just because it isnt twitter doesn't mean your source is any more credible.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The things im hearing. Not one thing from twitter. I think FSU bolts before December ends.

Any sources? Just because it isnt twitter doesn't mean your source is any more credible.

Lol, I know. TIFWIW. Don't take it for gold. Just my prediction. The source is nothing more than a friend. Again, just face value it.

Lol, I know. TIFWIW. Don't take it for gold. Just my prediction. The source is nothing more than a friend. Again, just face value it.

Oh, because you said something like "what I'm hearing". That is a bit misleading, especially with the now-debunked rumor of Georgia Tech and Virginia announcment yesterday.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Oh, because you said something like "what I'm hearing". That is a bit misleading, especially with the now-debunked rumor of Georgia Tech and Virginia announcment yesterday.

Well, I did just post an interesting link.

That board does bring up a great point...if Big XII DOES acquire Florida State and another eastern team (Clemson/Virginia Tech)...how would the divisions be set up?? I imagine OU, OSU, Tech, UT, and Baylor staying together to retain the divisional rivalrys but that means that Florida State and Clemson would have to share a division with IOWA STATE and KU/KSU.

Now what would work is if you did a North/South division. UT, Tech, Baylor, TCU, Florida State, and Clemson/VT in the "South" and OU, OSU, KSU, Kansas, West Virginia, and ISU in the "North". West Virginia would be the odd man out sadly but hey, THEY'RE the ones who went ahead with the Big XII.

GR30a5H.png