Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Since I can't say anything right around here without sounding like an idiot, here is an intelligent article I found on the latest round of realignment and why the Big XII isn't making any moves soon.

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2012/11/28/big-12-football-louisville-we-hardly-knew-thee/

Also, could you see BYU getting a partial football membership (5 games like ND) for the Big XII. I don't think the Big XII should add them as full members but if BYU played half of the Big XII teams each year in football, I think that would be a win-win situation.

Also, could you see BYU getting a partial football membership (5 games like ND) for the Big XII. I don't think the Big XII should add them as full members but if BYU played half of the Big XII teams each year in football, I think that would be a win-win situation.

Win-Win? The Big XII does not need BYU and the $4M/year they receive from their ESPN contract.

Why split up the football portion of the media pie into an 11th section? The current Big XII media agreement is for basketball.

Win-Win? The Big XII does not need BYU and the $4M/year they receive from their ESPN contract.

Why split up the football portion of the media pie into an 11th section? The current Big XII media agreement is for basketball.

It only makes sense if Utah has a high level of interest with other teams in the Big XII. If a significant portion of the population are Oklahoma or Kansas State fans, it could be the same mentality the B16 TEN is using by adding Maryland and Rutgers. Get in to markets that have significant numbers of fans of OTHER teams, not necessarily the team that's in that particular state.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

This is an interesting tweet from a 247 guy.

Tim_Matty247 @ Tim_Matty247

Sources are indicating that the # B1G has approved # GT as its 15th member. Stay tuned... @ CFravel247 @ Clemson247

TIFWIW but Jeff Ermann of 247 sports was the first to break Maryland and Rutgers. He has been saying that GT has been fighting for a spot and the Big10 is listening.

This is an interesting tweet from a 247 guy.

Tim_Matty247 @ Tim_Matty247

Sources are indicating that the # B1G has approved # GT as its 15th member. Stay tuned... @ CFravel247 @ Clemson247

TIFWIW but Jeff Ermann of 247 sports was the first to break Maryland and Rutgers. He has been saying that GT has been fighting for a spot and the Big10 is listening.

I get that ultimately, its about dollars, and to get the dollars you need households. Even though Georgia Tech has the households and is a member of the AAU, I just don't see it in the cards. I think the B16 TEN really wants to emphasize the contiguous footprint.

I also don't see the B16 TEN adding 4 teams in a month. It seems like their long term plan is to go about it in stages. Not just one huge expansion move. There has been quite a lull in the expansion rumor mill once Maryland and Rutgers became official. I don't see how/why the B16 TEN would would add Maryland and Rutgers and then a few weeks later at Georgia Tech as the 15th member without having a 16th member lined up. It will be interesting.

The only issue with all this expansion if sure, the universities are getting money from TV, but its going to be hard for the better teams to get fans in the stands, especially with ALL the bowl games being played out west or down south. Taking the B16 TEN for example... if there are 4 divisions of 4 teams, there is a chance that Nebraska would have to play Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, and Ohio State in the same rotation. That means 4 long road trips just for the regular season. Add in the B16 TEN title game, and that will be a 5th trip, half way across the conference. Now throw in a major bowl, like Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl, and that a cross country trip that the fans are going to have to take? Could be a downfall.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Do you think the B1G will create 4 divisons if they expand to 16? Or just keep the Leaders and Legends divisions?

That's been the rumor since ESPN said that the B16 TEN invited Nebraska, Mizzout, Rutgers and ND back in like... late 2010. That is the end game. 12 barely works, 14 is a disaster, 16 lends itseld perfectly.

I'm anticipating either a 3 year cycle where A plays everyone in their division + A plays B in year 1, A plays C in year 2, and A plays D in year 3... or where A plays everyone in their division every year, + 2 teams from A, 2 teams from B, then 2 teams from B and 2 teams from C, then 2 teams from C and 2 teams from A.

A pod system could work, but you would need to make sure it's balanced. Obviously, you would probably start by splitting up Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. And some of the pods almost create themselves.

I'm sure most upper-midwest fans would be fine with a Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin pod.

But what about the Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue pod? Those four teams all have natural rivalries among each other, but they would also be the annual doormat division. If you're not going to put one of the Big Four into a given pod, you'd at least want to balance it with like a Wisconsin-Michigan State combo or something.

Thoughts?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Do you think the B1G will create 4 divisons if they expand to 16? Or just keep the Leaders and Legends divisions?

That's been the rumor since ESPN said that the B16 TEN invited Nebraska, Mizzout, Rutgers and ND back in like... late 2010. That is the end game. 12 barely works, 14 is a disaster, 16 lends itseld perfectly.

I'm anticipating either a 3 year cycle where A plays everyone in their division + A plays B in year 1, A plays C in year 2, and A plays D in year 3... or where A plays everyone in their division every year, + 2 teams from A, 2 teams from B, then 2 teams from B and 2 teams from C, then 2 teams from C and 2 teams from A.

With a four-team pod system, that's only seven games out of 12. The SEC, currently with 14 teams, plays 8 in-conference games, six within division, two from the other division ONe of those is a permement opponent, one is rotating.

Going to sixteen teamsand a twelve game schedule, conferences may have to make the move to nine conference games.

If the pods are kept within "divisions" (West/East, Atlantic/Coastal, Legends/Leaders) an idea for an 9 game roating pod schedule might be like this: you play all teams in your pod every year (3 games) alternate between 2 of the 4 teams in your division's other pod on a home/home basis (2 more games), then alternate playing 1 pod in the other division every year (4 more games). 5 games in division, 4 out of division.

It is what it is.

I see it. The Big10 wants markets. They took Rutgers for NYC. They took Maryland for DC/Baltimore. They would love Atlanta. GT don't give a crap about being on an island. They want in the Academics Sports Club.

And I would like a pony. Neither one of us is getting what we want.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

14 and 8 conference games works great for the SEC. You can have 6 ten win teams in a good year provided the schedules shake out the right way (like this year) and ZOMG the SEC is so frickin' tough y'alls.

BTW, the above is likely why the Big XII will ultimately expand, because while the Big XII is the deeper league, it doesn't look that way to outsiders because the 9 game round robin precludes that many 10 win teams and this is seriously going to start dicking the league out of access Bowl bids in a few years.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With a four-team pod system, that's only seven games out of 12. The SEC, currently with 14 teams, plays 8 in-conference games, six within division, two from the other division ONe of those is a permement opponent, one is rotating.

Going to sixteen teamsand a twelve game schedule, conferences may have to make the move to nine conference games.

If the pods are kept within "divisions" (West/East, Atlantic/Coastal, Legends/Leaders) an idea for an 9 game roating pod schedule might be like this: you play all teams in your pod every year (3 games) alternate between 2 of the 4 teams in your division's other pod on a home/home basis (2 more games), then alternate playing 1 pod in the other division every year (4 more games). 5 games in division, 4 out of division.

I forgot about the protected cross over game. I would think 3 games within your division, 4 games from Divisional rotation, 1 game for your Projected Cross Over (Yes, this will still exist even when they move to 16... the B16 TEN understand the value of "The Game" every year, and they also understand the money that would result in Michigan -vs- Ohio State for the B16 TEN Championship, in an NFL Stadium, during Prime Time TV). So that would give 8 conference games... leaving 3 for out of conference scheduling. Since the B16 TEN and PAC-12 have a new working agreement... I would expect 1-2 games per team, per year against the PAC-12.

I forgot about the protected cross over game. I would think 3 games within your division, 4 games from Divisional rotation, 1 game for your Projected Cross Over (Yes, this will still exist even when they move to 16... the B16 TEN understand the value of "The Game" every year, and they also understand the money that would result in Michigan -vs- Ohio State for the B16 TEN Championship, in an NFL Stadium, during Prime Time TV). So that would give 8 conference games... leaving 3 for out of conference scheduling. Since the B16 TEN and PAC-12 have a new working agreement... I would expect 1-2 games per team, per year against the PAC-12.

The Big Ten-Pac 12 schedule agreement died a few months back.

Today, we are all otaku.

If I were the Big XII and I were going to take an ACC team that had orange in their colors, Miami would third on the list of three.

Recruiting standpoint: FSU gets you the SoFla market

TV stand point: FSU gets you the SoFla market

Miami has attendance issues even when they're not in the NCAA's cross hairs. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football