Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I would think they try to get UNCA or East Tenn St( I know they regret leaving), or they trying to save them selfs when GA southern bolts??

Why would a football conference add basketball schools?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good for them!!! More schools need this to happen big I know with title ix and $$$$ it's hard. (Plus I'm only a hr away)

More schools need to extort even more money out of their student bodies? These teams aren't independently financially viable.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good for them!!! More schools need this to happen big I know with title ix and $$$$ it's hard. (Plus I'm only a hr away)

More schools need to extort even more money out of their student bodies? These teams aren't independently financially viable.

As far as the money directly generated by them... no, most don't. But schools that don't have football tend to have a much harder time soliciting alumni donations... especially in the fall when most alumni donations are made. Not to mention it's one of the most effective ways for a university to get its name and brand out there. I agree these programs shouldn't be a reason for schools to squeeze even more money from their students, but there are legit reasons why so many schools still keep them around.

• Like 1

Today Butler, Creighton and Xavier made their exodus to the new Big East official.

Kinda surprised they went with Creighton over St. Louis, given the Billikens' closer proximity and (well, greater) recent success. Think the Billikens and Dayton are on the horizon for 2014-15 expansion though...

bYhYmxh.png

Today Butler, Creighton and Xavier made their exodus to the new Big East official.

Kinda surprised they went with Creighton over St. Louis, given the Billikens' closer proximity and (well, greater) recent success. Think the Billikens and Dayton are on the horizon for 2014-15 expansion though...

St. Louis is part of Phase II

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

It's amazing to think about how far Butler has come in the past five years. If this was all taking place before their Final Four runs, they may not have been on the Big East/Catholic 7's radar screen at all.

A few years ago, they were stuck(?) in the Horizon League. Now they're joining forces with Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and some other historic programs.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

@McMurphyESPN New Big East: "Very happy at 10; whether or not we get to 12 (in future) is negotiable"

Today, we are all otaku.

As far as the money directly generated by them... no, most don't. But schools that don't have football tend to have a much harder time soliciting alumni donations... especially in the fall when most alumni donations are made. Not to mention it's one of the most effective ways for a university to get its name and brand out there. I agree these programs shouldn't be a reason for schools to squeeze even more money from their students, but there are legit reasons why so many schools still keep them around.

And small state schools with football don't have the alumni base or donations to balance out the football outlay either. And of course, saddling your student body with additional loan debt is going to limit what they have available to donate, so you're really robbing Peter to pay Paul. FCS-level football is honestly a financial crock and a parasite on the schools and student body.

Today, we are all otaku.

The schools with the highest percentage of their alumni doning over a rolling two year period do not have FBS football and most do not have football at all since most are your smaller enrollment liberal arts colleges. Less than ten percent of donors provide over 84% of the typical revenue through non-athletics advancement.

Remember, seat rights and tickets currently can be taken at 80% tax deduction for the public, but a student fee for athletics is something one can rarely opt out of.

@McMurphyESPN New Big East: "Very happy at 10; whether or not we get to 12 (in future) is negotiable"

They always say that...and then they always expand. (Might be a year or two from now, but they do)

bYhYmxh.png

They always say that...and then they always expand. (Might be a year or two from now, but they do)

Yeah, but why wait. It's not like you're dealing with a different conference for the other proposed targets. Just gut the A-10 now and be done with it if that is "the plan".

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm honestly surprised they invited Creighton already... I figured they'd wait at least a year. Now half the Horizon League is jockeying for position to replace them in the Missouri Valley. I'd say the most likely candidates are UIC, Wright State and Milwaukee, in that order. My guess is all but the four Illinois teams would love to have UIC, but I'm not sure how that effects their chances of joining one way or the other. Wright State has an on-campus arena and plays baseball, but if Milwaukee might leap-frog their way to the top of the MVC want list if they take ownership of the old MECCA building.

It's amazing to think about how far Butler has come in the past five years. If this was all taking place before their Final Four runs, they may not have been on the Big East/Catholic 7's radar screen at all.

A few years ago, they were stuck(?) in the Horizon League. Now they're joining forces with Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and some other historic programs.

It's really not all that surprising when you consider Marquette, Notre Dame, Xavier, Dayton and Saint Louis have all been Horizon League members at one point or another.

It's really not all that surprising when you consider Marquette, Notre Dame, Xavier, Dayton and Saint Louis have all been Horizon League members at one point or another.

Not two years before joining the Big East/Catholic 7 (at least that I can recall . . . but then I don't remember Notre Dame being in the MCC/Horizon League). It's not so much the path that is surprising as it is the speed with which they made the journey.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Apparently, the MVC is in no rush to replace Creighton, or so they say, but major market schools such as Denver, Milwaukee and Belmont (Nashville) are on their list.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/21/commissioner-says-missouri-valley-conference-in-no-hurry-to-replace-big-east/

I'm honestly surprised they invited Creighton already... I figured they'd wait at least a year. Now half the Horizon League is jockeying for position to replace them in the Missouri Valley. I'd say the most likely candidates are UIC, Wright State and Milwaukee, in that order. My guess is all but the four Illinois teams would love to have UIC, but I'm not sure how that effects their chances of joining one way or the other. Wright State has an on-campus arena and plays baseball, but if Milwaukee might leap-frog their way to the top of the MVC want list if they take ownership of the old MECCA building.

It's 3 Illinois schools ;) But UIC doesn't typically provide an RPI boost for anyone, which is going to make it a hard sell.

Apparently, the MVC is in no rush to replace Creighton, or so they say, but major market schools such as Denver, Milwaukee and Belmont (Nashville) are on their list.

http://www.foxnews.c...place-big-east/

Um wow, Fox News does sports. What's next? Mother Jones covering SEC spring football?

Today, we are all otaku.