Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

Maryland 247 is reporting that both Virginia and North Carolina have offers from the Big Ten. Maybe the UNC Chancellor bailing is related.

http://www.landgrant...-offer-virginia

Already being talked about.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

Maryland 247 is reporting that both Virginia and North Carolina have offers from the Big Ten. Maybe the UNC Chancellor bailing is related.

http://www.landgrant...-offer-virginia

Holden Thorp announced he was going to step down as UNC Chancellor in September 2012. Thorp was recruited to Wash U. by their chancellor as they both attended Cal Tech and worked together within the AAU.

He (Thorp) also has to address SACS in April regarding UNC before he leaves anyway.

I know the UVA/UNC angle was already being discussed, I was just adding that another media source was running the story. I wasnt very clear.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I know the UVA/UNC angle was already being discussed, I was just adding that another media source was running the story. I wasnt very clear.

It's the same source.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's the same source.

Yeah, not my finest post. It was late and I was adding that from a tablet, so I missed some of the earlier conversation.

Back to a 20 team Big Ten. If UVA and UNC are #15-16, who are the other four? All ACC members, or does the league consider making offers to schools like Kansas and Missouri?

Interestingly enough, a 20 team format allows for two divisions of 10 (or 4x5), but it cleverly allows the league to market themselves as "The Big Ten(s)"

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

It's the same source.

Yeah, not my finest post. It was late and I was adding that from a tablet, so I missed some of the earlier conversation.

Back to a 20 team Big Ten. If UVA and UNC are #15-16, who are the other four? All ACC members, or does the league consider making offers to schools like Kansas and Missouri?

Interestingly enough, a 20 team format allows for two divisions of 10 (or 4x5), but it cleverly allows the league to market themselves as "The Big Ten(s)"

Considering North Carolina and Virginia as 15 and 16... Gerogia Tech will definitely be in play with Kansas or Kansas State being 17 and 18. I would lean towards Kansas State because they are receiving heavy research dollars and their basketball and football teams are more competitive than Kansas', however Kansas does have a larger national following in football. Not to mention, the recent surge of the B16 TEN in basketball.

As for 19 and 20, I think there is some room for dispute. I think they ultimately would like to add Missouri (as I believe Missouri was in the long term plans before they jumped to the SEC). I would have to believe Clemson and Florida State would also be in play and strongly pushed for.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

It's the same source.

Considering North Carolina and Virginia as 15 and 16... Gerogia Tech will definitely be in play with Kansas or Kansas State being 17 and 18. I would lean towards Kansas State because they are receiving heavy research dollars and their basketball and football teams are more competitive than Kansas', however Kansas does have a larger national following in football. Not to mention, the recent surge of the B16 TEN in basketball.

As for 19 and 20, I think there is some room for dispute. I think they ultimately would like to add Missouri (as I believe Missouri was in the long term plans before they jumped to the SEC). I would have to believe Clemson and Florida State would also be in play and strongly pushed for.

And we have gone through the looking glass.

Today, we are all otaku.

Also according to Realignment McCarthy on Twitter, the Catholic 7 are breaking way apparently next fall, which also means Notre Dame is looking to move into the ACC next season

So next fall WAC & Big East football are no more?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Catholic 7 retain Big East name. Wonder what happens to the "other" Big East schools & the schools that were/are supposed to join the conference in the coming years?

They are going to move and remain in the "new" conference because they cannot go anywhere else at this late a date.

Each of them know the marketplace and their overall value, which is little to both TV and to other conferences.

Also according to Realignment McCarthy on Twitter, the Catholic 7 are breaking way apparently next fall, which also means Notre Dame is looking to move into the ACC next season

So next fall WAC & Big East football are no more?

Big East football will go on as planned.

Today, we are all otaku.

Oh and Creighton's rumored to be #10 in the Basketball Big East, throwing the Missouri Valley Conference into a state of disarray.

I wonder how often Bradley's cursed Jim Les' name the last few months.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, Bradley could always subscribe to the theory that "It can't hurt to ask".

Seriously though, Bradley in the Basketball Big East?

Crazyspin.gif

/They'd probably be better on the court than DePaul though....

Today, we are all otaku.

The league will just have a new name. It will still be the same league.

Not really, it's just Conference USA 2.0.....and this coming from a fan of a team in the new conference.

My hope is that more dominoes fall ahead of USF, so that the ACC will have to replenish their Florida presence.

If Norte Dame was smart( I know it's a stretch) they would not even bother with the acc and just join the "big east". They would have there catholic buddies for other sports AND keep the Indy label in football. Oh and the MAAC dropping football caused all this to happen, the lack of northeast football thing? No NYC or Dc or even really Philly teams in FBS that's the root of all this.

If Norte Dame was smart( I know it's a stretch) they would not even bother with the acc and just join the "big east". They would have there catholic buddies for other sports AND keep the Indy label in football. Oh and the MAAC dropping football caused all this to happen, the lack of northeast football thing? No NYC or Dc or even really Philly teams in FBS that's the root of all this.

The death of MAAC football had less than zero impact on what happened in Division I-A. Georgetown, by choice, has had football at the "it's a hobby, really", level for decades. NYU dropped football in the 1950s, Fordham de-emphasized it to the point where it's sharing a league with Georgetown at that same time, Saint John's never played at the major level, the Ivies were kicked out of I-A in 1982, and the rest of the NY and Philly schools also dropped out of the major football level long ago or never were at that level to begin with.

Today, we are all otaku.

And we have gone through the looking glass.

Clemson and Florida State are more viable candidates than Kansas State, and will certainly be on the offer list. Florida State has actively sought a new conference in the past and has limited history in the ACC (and is likely barred from the SEC), and neither school will have much incentive to stick around after the ACC implodes with key members departing.

KSU is NOT coming to the Big Ten, not now, not ever. Kansas is a long-shot, and only even possible if Missouri re-enters as an option or Texas comes on board. The B1G had a chance to bring in Missouri and look at Kansas when Nebraska joined, and the B1G rejected them.

Ever since BTN, I've been pushing that the B1G look to 16 or 20 teams and look to consume the best schools from the Big 12 or ACC. IMO, taking Nebraska was a mistake without moving on the then-Big 12 schools worth something (Missouri, KU, OU, OSU, Texas, and A&M), but what's done is done, and by now the Missouri ship has likely sailed.

At 14 with MD and Rutgers, the next move is that they're going to be looking to get into new markets in the south. Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and Virginia are the no-doubt next 3 to be offered. At that point, you're at 17, the ACC is dead, and you're competing with the SEC directly.

From there, I would list preferences as follows:

1. Notre Dame - past aside, take them if they want to come

2. Texas - take them if they want to come, and if they do, take Oklahoma and Kansas (or Oklahoma State).

3. Florida State

4. Boston College

5. Miami

6. Clemson

7. Syracuse

8. Pitt

9. NC State

10. Missouri

11. Oklahoma

12. Kansas/Oklahoma State

13. Louisville

14. West Virginia

This whole thing is controlled by expanding/dominating TV networks and cable/satellite subscription packages. That's why in realignment schools like Kansas State and Iowa State and Baylor are garbage leftovers no one wants.

If I'm not mistaken all conferences except the Pac-12, the SEC and the Big Ten have lost members. Could you ever see them losing a existing member in any of this mess? I could see Missouri as a big if, but I can't really imagine any others from the SEC or any in the Big Ten and Pac 12 doesn't really have anywhere else to go.

Thoughts?