Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

What do you think of BU leaving the America East and now Stony Brook and UNH threatening to leave?

There hasn't been much news recently but it seems most of the schools are angry about the lack of football.

Any details?

If I remember right, BU leaving America East for the Patriot League has to do more with what the Patriot League is about. Boston U. has a strong academic reputation, which fits in very well along side with the other members of the Patriot League.

As for the other two, I haven't heard news of that yet. Both Stony Brook and UNH would be key should America East ever wants football as part of it's conference (remember, Albany and Maine also have football so they would need at least two more schools, either within the conference or as associates, in order to have a legit football playing conference).

If anything, I suggest going to collegesportsinfo.com for more on the conferences and any possible moves.

EDIT: Speaking of America East... Looks like they found their replacement for Boston U. It's... UMass-Lowell

Ugh. Not UML. I had heard rumors about Quinnipiac also which would be a good fit.

BU's main reason for joining the Patriot was because of lacrosse.

sport-scarf_reds_zpsbb317600.png

I dunno, but I think UMass-Lowell is a good fit for America East. It allows them to gain member in Massachusetts even though they are losing one. It keeps their geographic profile very well defined (even though geography means jack squat here).

The only other option for America East was NJIT, but I don't know if they can get the Highlanders before the NEC could snatch them up as a replacement for Monmouth.

Umass-Lowell jumping to Division 1? How many more schools are moving on up along with UNK and Grand Canyon?

There's Abliene Christian and Incarnate Word, who are joining the Southland in 2013.

Northern Kentucky and Nebraska-Omaha are already in the process of moving up.

I went to an NKU game last month and they have a pretty decent basketball team for a first year Division 1 program. Great facility too. They are doing pretty well in the A-Sun and wouldn't be surprised to see them in the tournament here in about 5-6 years.

mcbqza.jpg

Speaking to the 20 team B16 TEN, it lends itself nearly perfectly to scheduling, doesn't it? The B16 TEN has already said they are advocating a larger conference schedule, up to 10 games within the conference to promote a tighter, closer B16 TEN. If that's the case, and assuming 4 Division of 5 Teams, each team would play the other 4 teams in their divisions (4 games), then play 2 teams on a rotating basis from each of the other divisions (2 x 3 = 6 games), for a total of 10 conference game per year.

As far as how the Division rotation goes, there would have to be some sort of leap frog format. For example:

Ohio State would play every team in its own division, but then when it plays division B, is would play Team 1 and 2 the first year, then team 2 and 3 the second year, team 3 and 4 the third year, team 4 and 5 the fourth year, and team 5 and 1 the fifth year. Playing the same schools in back to back seasons will allow the Home and Home format, as well as providing more competitive balance. If one team is young and filled with sophomores and juniors, the next year they may be exponentially better as juniors and seniors, so playing in back to back years would give a better gauge of the talent of the team.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I know you should take tweets with a grain of salt but this is the guy who broke the Maryland news.

56 mins z5ji52veg37ov75ip31d_normal.jpegJeff Ermann@insidemdsports

1. Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.

If the Big Ten goes to 20, I hope they split the divisions into the "classic" Big Ten and the schools that joined after 1990... then don't have inter-divisional play until the championship game. That way, they appease the traditionalists while expanding their footprint and give the championship game a true "bowl game" atmosphere. Same thing with the Pac-12 if they go to 16.

• Like 5

I know you should take tweets with a grain of salt but this is the guy who broke the Maryland news.

1. Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer.

So if let's say all 3 do in fact have offers and accept them and whatnot.. do we throw out the 16 team stuff out the window and steamroll ahead to the super-dee-dooper 18 to 20 endgame?

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

So if true.... What was that about rivalry not mattering Coach K?

baltimoreravens.png

I'm so glad my U.S. sports history prof talked me into cutting off the narrative of the Big Ten's development at 1953. Otherwise It'd be May, I'd have a 30 page paper and the Big Ten would just announce they are adding :censored: ing Pitt and Florida State the day it was due.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

While that statement was very passive aggressive, it comes down to him just looking at the calendars of each school's governing bodies.

The UVa Board of Visitors meets Wednesday-Friday and starts with an Executive Committee meeting Wednesday morning with full board meetings later in the week. They do not meet fully again until May.

While it could be discussed in EC and voted on fully on Thursday or Friday, I am not sure that Rector Helen Dragas wants to have both the firing/rehiring of a University as well as conference shift on her hands in under 12 months. She and the school may wait until July 1 to announce a move since George Martin will assume the role as Rector.

UNC has a lame duck Chancellor to conduct business as he just announced Monday that he is going to bolt to Washington University (St. Louis) at the end of the semester instead of just resigning to a teaching role at UNC.

UNC's Board of Trustees is not scheduled to meet in February as of yet. They are dates to meet, but there is neither an announcement nor an agenda.

GT does not have its own board, rather the University System of Georgia's Board of Regents handles it all.

So if let's say all 3 do in fact have offers and accept them and whatnot.. do we throw out the 16 team stuff out the window and steamroll ahead to the super-dee-dooper 18 to 20 endgame?

Its full steam ahead to 20. Just like 14 is an awkward, clunky number, 18 is just as awkward and clunky.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

While that statement was very passive aggressive, it comes down to him just looking at the calendars of each school's governing bodies.

The UVa Board of Visitors meets Wednesday-Friday and starts with an Executive Committee meeting Wednesday morning with full board meetings later in the week. They do not meet fully again until May.

While it could be discussed in EC and voted on fully on Thursday or Friday, I am not sure that Rector Helen Dragas wants to have both the firing/rehiring of a University as well as conference shift on her hands in under 12 months. She and the school may wait until July 1 to announce a move since George Martin will assume the role as Rector.

UNC has a lame duck Chancellor to conduct business as he just announced Monday that he is going to bolt to Washington University (St. Louis) at the end of the semester instead of just resigning to a teaching role at UNC.

UNC's Board of Trustees is not scheduled to meet in February as of yet. They are dates to meet, but there is neither an announcement nor an agenda.

GT does not have its own board, rather the University System of Georgia's Board of Regents handles it all.

This guy has credibility. A lot of credibility.. He is not a dart thrower.

Wash U hired this guy after those UNC academic scandals? Ummm....wow. :Oo:

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes. He will be their Provost (the top academic administrator) as well as a Chemistry professor.

Never has the term "educated fools" been quite as fitting...

bYhYmxh.png

Yes. He will be their Provost (the top academic administrator) as well as a Chemistry professor.

Dang, I could see some poor low level school teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and/or the loss of accreditation, but Washington's supposed to be a top level school.

Today, we are all otaku.

Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

Maryland 247 is reporting that both Virginia and North Carolina have offers from the Big Ten. Maybe the UNC Chancellor bailing is related.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2013/2/19/4005512/report-north-carolina-has-big-ten-offer-virginia

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN