Angels Considering Return To 'california'

CubsFanBudMan

This was briefly mentioned in the "New looks" thread, but I thought it warranted a separate one...

I have seen it mentioned in a couple of columns that new Angels owner Arte Moreno is considering a switch back to California or even Los Angeles. The team has already taken steps to broaden its appeal to L.A. by flooding the city with its "A-Team" ads, switching "Anaheim" to "Angels" on its road uniforms, and -- instead of reverting back to

"Anaheim Stadium" after Edison International pulled out -- choosing to go with "Angel Stadium."

Even the tickets I got for a July trip out there say "Angels vs. Los Angeles Dodgers." No reference to Anaheim anywhere. And those are just generic Ticketmaster versions, the kind that always say both names.

All this, Moreno says, to tap into the fact that the Angels are part of the second-largest market. Funny thing is, it seems to be working . L.A. apparently is buzzing much more about the Angels' new regime than the Dodgers'. Guess Vlad and Colon can do that for a team...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should just revert back to Los Angeles Angels and be done with it. If the Rams got away with calling themselves the LA Rams while playing in there, and the Giants and Jets can still call themselves New York in spite of playing in Jersey, why not?

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

two LA bMLB teams? I don't see the point. California's a better go IMO if they even bother...Anahien Angels sounds good enough

Well there's two MLB teams in Chicago, and New York, so it wouldn't be anything new.

I think I'd like a switch back to Los Angeles... just cause it'd be cool to have another 2 teams to put brackets beside on scoretickers:

Los Angeles (NL) 5 vs San Francisco 7

Toronto 9 vs Los Angeles (AL) 2

Kinda cool :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Well, there is a difference between the Angels and LA than the Giants and Jets and NY. The Giants and Jets play 6 miles from New York, where I belive anahiem is about 40 miles from LA.

I would like the LA Angels, becuase it makes sense with thier name and why they are names that. But it would be odd, sense they don't play that close to LA.

as most of you know I am STRONGLY against them going with the "california" moniker. after all, it makes no sense to name a team after a state when they share the state with FOUR OTHER TEAMS now right?

they should stay "anaheim", but if they go "los angeles" that would be okay too. either way they are still trolls and deserve to burn in hell

Meh, I don't like the Los Angeles Angels moniker simply because if you translate the city name into english, it's then called "The Angels Angels." I think they should just stick with Anaheim, like someone said, because they won the WS under that name.

No no no no no no no!

I'm already mad at them for dumping "Anaheim" from the road jerseys. What's the point of having the exact same jerseys anyway (just a different base color)? I'm looking at you too, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Baltimore.

All home uniforms should have the team name or a logo (see Tigers, Diamondbacks, etc.) and all road uniforms should have the city name. No exceptions.

/ Ignites a spark for a flame war...

All home uniforms should have the team name or a logo (see Tigers, Diamondbacks, etc.) and all road uniforms should have the city name. No exceptions.

*yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn*

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

two LA bMLB teams? I don't see the point. California's a better go IMO if they even bother...Anahien Angels sounds good enough

Well there's two MLB teams in Chicago, and New York, so it wouldn't be anything new.

I think I'd like a switch back to Los Angeles... just cause it'd be cool to have another 2 teams to put brackets beside on scoretickers:

Would that create more work for the scoreboard operator?

I saw, I came, I left.

The scoreboard operator would get a raise

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

noooooo, i really hope this doesn't happen. i think "Anaheim Angels" has such a good ring to it, and it really gives props to the awesomel city that Anaheim is (i was there last spring), rather than just grouping with the mega-city that is LA.

If they DO go back to LA, i hope they dont change a thing on their unis. They have one of the sharpest looks in the league IMO.

The Texas Rangers makes sense as a name, with the nod to the classic law enforcers. For the Angels, either name would be fine, as long as they stick with it. It hasn't even been 10 years as Anaheim, so why change so soon?

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

The scoreboard operator would get a raise

Sounds like economic stimulus to me!

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

So does unending expansion, the DH, bad pitching and tightly wound baseballs made by happy Dominicans. And none of those things are good for baseball. :)

Archived