New Heinz Ketchup packets

Top Shelf

For decades there was only one way to use the humble ketchup packet,and it was messy. Now, fast-food lovers have a choice: the traditional squeeze play ? or the option to dunk.

You want fries with that, in the minivan? No problem.

Thenew ketchup pack, unveiled Thursday by H.J. Heinz Co., is shaped like ashallow cup. The top can be peeled back for dipping, or the end can betorn off for squeezing. It holds three times as much ketchup as atraditional packet.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100204/ap_on_bi_ge/us_heinz_ketchup

And the obligatory image:

capt.661adcb68c8940949293037aff9b67df.heinz_ketchup_nybz129.jpg

IeHVybT.png

Just because it is cool or smart does not mean that it will make them or the companies they sell to money. I am not a condiment guy at all, but for salsa, however there is an economic thing to realize.

1-McDonalds, even from the story is ConAgra (Hunts) for the most part. If they are selling burgers at a neat loss, why should they bring on this packet? Whataburger uses the pocket, but their fries also aren't very good.

2-Heinz is just on board for just Wendys/Arbys and BK. BK franchisees are really losing money as it is, so will they be able to absorb the potential additional costs? This could help them internationally more than it could in the USA.

Looking at this from a different perspective, they could have changed the packet much simpler. Instead of having the pack rip from the top (along a short side of the packet), just having it open from one of the long sides (but near the end) would have made tearing the end off the pack and squeezing it out that way much easier.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Just because it is cool or smart does not mean that it will make them or the companies they sell to money. I am not a condiment guy at all, but for salsa, however there is an economic thing to realize.

1-McDonalds, even from the story is ConAgra (Hunts) for the most part. If they are selling burgers at a neat loss, why should they bring on this packet? Whataburger uses the pocket, but their fries also aren't very good.

2-Heinz is just on board for just Wendys/Arbys and BK. BK franchisees are really losing money as it is, so will they be able to absorb the potential additional costs? This could help them internationally more than it could in the USA.

I'm failing to see where economics or the fact that we care if it makes them more money or not should factor into if we think the design is cool or not. :)

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Is this another sign of society becoming fatter? Was one packet enough at some point in time? Right now I need at least three so this sounds like a great idea!

I don't think so.

Ketchup is used to cover up bad tasting food or give bland food taste. Eat better quality food and you won't need ketchup or any other condiments.

Agreed. While it's nice for crappy things like fries, it sickens me to see people putting ketchup on pretty much everything. My dad puts it on steak. Goddam steak. That's why when I eat at their house and do the shopping for dinner, he always gets the cheapest cut of steak - it doesn't matter because he'll just be tasting the ketchup anyway.

When you're at nice dinners with people either for a business function or even socially, it's always kind of funny to see who asks the server to bring out the ketchup.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived