Virginia Football Going Pro Combat

tron1013

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty excited to see what they've come up with, I think it'll be pretty cool. I think a return to a white helmet would look really nice for the Cavs if they did it.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The problem with the Cavs is there look has been all over the place. They have the great "V" and swords. Then the modern helmet striping, then they go with pants that have blue-orange-blue striping on them at home with pants that are blue-white-blue striping on the road. My favorites were the ones from the late 80's with the blank white helmet, orange and blue stripes, orange jerseys with white pants at home and the reverse on the road.

I'm actually excited about the Pro Combat jerseys. I found them all to be very well done, except for the fact that there were way too many white jerseys. Hopefully they do a solid color jersey for the Cavaliers....either Orange or Navy.

This leads me to another question are any other schools announcing they are going Pro Combat next season other than UVA?

As a UVA fan I can't wait to see what they look like, Hopefully they'll do something like sizemorematters said, with the modernized logo.

baltimoreravens.png

nothing beats the old school Shawn Moore unis:

1990_UVA_MD_Shawn_Moore.jpg

though Tiki Barber era were nice:

tikibarber.jpg

I am on the fence that they should have had an alt Orange jersey with the "V" but Groh never wanted it.

What about these beauties?

fb1999_10_30.jpg

(the designer messed up that V logo in the bottom corner)

I really like Virginia's current home uniforms a lot, aside from the helmet stripes. Hopefully they don't mess this one up.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Could someone tell me why these are called PRO Combat? Last time I checked, college players weren't getting paid. (Although they should be.)

Not sure why they call them Pro Combat, but lets not turn this thread off course into a "college players should be paid" tangent. Really don't want to go down that road yet again. Definitely not what this thread is about.

Another look at those 1998-1999 unis:

I love the numbers AND the trim. Probably one of the all-time greats as far as college unis go.

Correct me if I'm wrong - the white part of the trim is supposed to be columns, right? What's the blue part? And I really like the number font because it was the same font used on the state license plates.

I loved the Shawn Moore set, especially with the ultra-dark gray facemask, but I was also a huge fan of the Tiki Barber unis when they arrived. The current set is decent except for the helmet stripes. I'm sure it would be different if the Ravens and Titans hadn't used them.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I love the numbers AND the trim. Probably one of the all-time greats as far as college unis go.

Correct me if I'm wrong - the white part of the trim is supposed to be columns, right? What's the blue part? And I really like the number font because it was the same font used on the state license plates.

I loved the Shawn Moore set, especially with the ultra-dark gray facemask, but I was also a huge fan of the Tiki Barber unis when they arrived. The current set is decent except for the helmet stripes. I'm sure it would be different if the Ravens and Titans hadn't used them.

It looks to me like the blue part on the trim is supposed to be the shadows from the columns. If, of course, they're intended to be columns.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

It looks to me like the blue part on the trim is supposed to be the shadows from the columns. If, of course, they're intended to be columns.

Wow - good call! Honestly, I would have never thought that. But that's what it looks like...if they are indeed columns.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Wow - good call! Honestly, I would have never thought that. But that's what it looks like...if they are indeed columns.

They were intended to represent the colonades that are prominently featured on the Grounds at UVa, including those that surround Lambeth Field, the original playing field for the the football team. http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/24272/wm/pd1782048.jpg

Archived