WKRP in Cincinnato

mfoster

I was watching a classic episode of WKRP recently (Fish Story, Herb dresses like a carp while Fever confuses a state trooper with sobriety test results that defies belief), and noticed something wonky with Venus' jacket...

wkrp2.jpg

wkrp1.jpg

The show commonly featured Cincy-based team pennants in the bullpen, I remember seeing Stingers and Xavier on the wall... did the Reds not grant permission of use, or the producers not want to pay for use, hence the lettering on the Reds jacket?

As God is my witness I thought yurkeys could fly.

That was a good episode. Too bad I remember the early 90s spinoff (which I watched more of) instead of the original show.

Back to the jacket, I would guess that they put three pieces of white tape on the last "I" to avoid paying a royalty fee to the Reds for use of the logo.

Some scenes (and the second pic) it really looks like a tape job. Others, not so much. There's also text on the back, but you never get a clear view. If it's not "FLYTRAP", we can probably guess it in 3-4 tries based on the Reds' roster of the day...

This seems to be a bit overcompensating. Yes it's a red colored jacket that says "Cincinnati" on it, but it doesn't say "Reds" nor does it have a logo on it. Somehow I don't think the baseball team held copyright on the color red or especially the city's name. And even if they did use a plain block font, they really couldn't claim exclusive copyright on that either as many teams today create and hold rights to a custom designed font. Even if the Reds did try to make a lawsuit of it, could they really have a leg to stand on in court?

If I had a green jacket that said "Boston" on the front in plain white block letters, and I put that on TV, should I expect a visit from the Celtics even though it doesn't say Celtics, has no basketball on it, no team logo or a shamrock to suggest otherwise?

Does simply implying a sports team warrant the hold or violation of copyright?

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

This seems to be a bit overcompensating. Yes it's a red colored jacket that says "Cincinnati" on it, but it doesn't say "Reds" nor does it have a logo on it. Somehow I don't think the baseball team held copyright on the color red or especially the city's name. And even if they did use a plain block font, they really couldn't claim exclusive copyright on that either as many teams today create and hold rights to a custom designed font. Even if the Reds did try to make a lawsuit of it, could they really have a leg to stand on in court?

If I had a green jacket that said "Boston" on the front in plain white block letters, and I put that on TV, should I expect a visit from the Celtics even though it doesn't say Celtics, has no basketball on it, no team logo or a shamrock to suggest otherwise?

Today? Probably. Back then? I would be surprised.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Especially since in other episodes I'm seeing Reds pennants in the bullpen and studio...

The Reds should've been honored to be included in a fine show like KRP. Show's more real than you think. Too bad the DVDs couldn't get the rights to the music they used in episodes, which sorta ruins a lot of the feel.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I, along with half the city of Cincinnati had that jacket. My version had the reds logo on the left sleeve which I don't see here. Maybe they were just being overly careful.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Some scenes (and the second pic) it really looks like a tape job. Others, not so much. There's also text on the back, but you never get a clear view. If it's not "FLYTRAP", we can probably guess it in 3-4 tries based on the Reds' roster of the day...

It probably says WKRP. If you watch "Hoodlum Rock" from the first season, Andy wears a similar jacket right before they fight Scum of the Earth. You can see the WKRP several times. Also, it appears that the front actually says "Cincinnati" in that episode, but the last letter is hard to see from the way he's wearing the jacket.

You appear to be correct - the answer today is "Yes", but that wasn't settled until 2006.

The Reds should've been honored to be included in a fine show like KRP. Show's more real than you think. Too bad the DVDs couldn't get the rights to the music they used in episodes, which sorta ruins a lot of the feel.

The generic rock with which they have replaced the original score sounds like it was produced in the San Fernando Valley (if you know what I mean). In many cases it has screwed up the scene... If you remember the original version of the classic Thanksgiving episode, there's this great exchange between Fever and Carlson:

(apologies for the quality, a lot of this stuff is harder to find than it used to be)

That's a scene directly resulting from the music being played. But if you watch it on Hulu, there's new music dubbed in and most of the scene has been cut out.

The jacket was pretty identifiable across the country in those days, with that show debuting just a couple of years after the Big Red Machine won back-to-back World Series. If copyright was the issue, it would have been hard to argue that a straight "CINCINNATI" in block letters on a red and white jacket wasn't a Reds jacket.

Archived