Saskatchewan Roughriders Centennial Jersey

docrocket

So the Roughriders are dressing like... the Rough Riders?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So the Roughriders are dressing like... the Rough Riders?

Sigh. The one game I pick to go to, and there's no point in even wearing my jersey.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Wow... you don't dress the green and white in black and red.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

This just seems wrong. What kind of crazy bizarro world are we living in where the Riders aren't wearing green and white?

It's one thing for teams to wear different colors when they represent a different team from the past - like when the Leafs wear their green St. Patricks jerseys.

But this? Give me a break. And the worst part is that the jerseys don't even look good.

FAIL

This just seems wrong. What kind of crazy bizarro world are we living in where the Riders aren't wearing green and white?

It's one thing for teams to wear different colors when they represent a different team from the past - like when the Leafs wear their green St. Patricks jerseys.

But this? Give me a break. And the worst part is that the jerseys don't even look good.

FAIL

FAIL? How clever.

How is this any different from the Leafs wearing St. Pats throwbacks? Like the Leafs the Riders are wearing throwbacks from an era of their team's history that featured a different colour scheme.

Now like the NY Jets and their Titans throwbacks, these Centennial Roughriders uniforms have the potential to become a milestone around the team's visual identity if they're worn to much for to long, but for one or two games for one season to honour their pre-1947 roots it's ok.

FAIL

Do any of the CFL's jerseys look good?

FAIL

No. The Reebok styled jerseys have to go.

Ugh they look like the Stampeders!!

Strongly dislike.

The Jets don't look good In Navy and Old Gold - Saskatchewan just made a pattern.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

FAIL

No. The Reebok styled jerseys have to go.

Correction. The Bombers make that white jersey work, son.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

FAIL? How clever.

How is this any different from the Leafs wearing St. Pats throwbacks? Like the Leafs the Riders are wearing throwbacks from an era of their team's history that featured a different colour scheme.

Now like the NY Jets and their Titans throwbacks, these Centennial Roughriders uniforms have the potential to become a milestone around the team's visual identity if they're worn to much for to long, but for one or two games for one season to honour their pre-1947 roots it's ok.

The difference is that the St. Pats were a different club. The Roughriders are synonymous with green and white, and trying to exhume a jersey which basically looks like Ottawa's old jersey (to anyone under 90) or Calgary's current jersey (to anyone under 15) is a terrible idea from an aesthetic standpoint. Those red and black colours mean nothing to anyone who isn't a centenarian or a historian.

While I'm sure the Riders will sell tons of these jerseys (unless their fans have the good sense to pass on them), I'm not here to comment on the business merits of their decision. They look bad and they are totally at odds with the Roughriders cherished tradition of green and white.

P.S. So you're still engaging in intellectual property theft, huh?

FAIL? How clever.

The difference is that the St. Pats were a different club. The Roughriders are synonymous with green and white, and trying to exhume a jersey which basically looks like Ottawa's old jersey (to anyone under 90) or Calgary's current jersey (to anyone under 15) is a terrible idea from an aesthetic standpoint. Those red and black colours mean nothing to anyone who isn't a centenarian or a historian.

While I'm sure the Riders will sell tons of these jerseys (unless their fans have the good sense to pass on them), I'm not here to comment on the business merits of their decision. They look bad and they are totally at odds with the Roughriders cherished tradition of green and white.

Nope. The St. Pats (and Arenas for that matter) are considered part of the same franchise as the Maple Leafs. Like the Leafs in St. Pats sweaters the Roughriders are simply homaging a period in their team's history. Now I admit, if they wear these things three games a season every season it'll get old. As a one season celebration of team's history though, it works. The team wore black and red for thirty five years. Surely it's ok to give a nod to that era one or two times for one season.

P.S. So you're still engaging in intellectual property theft, huh?

You're still an unbearable troll.

Nope. The St. Pats (and Arenas for that matter) are considered part of the same franchise as the Maple Leafs. Like the Leafs in St. Pats sweaters the Roughriders are simply homaging a period in their team's history. Now I admit, if they wear these things three games a season every season it'll get old. As a one season celebration of team's history though, it works. The team wore black and red for thirty five years. Surely it's ok to give a nod to that era one or two times for one season.

Perhaps they were technically the same franchise, but for all intents and purposes it was different - different owners, different colours, different identity. The St. Pats and Leafs have about as much shared history and tradition as the Carolina Hurricanes and the Hartford Whalers, or the Cleveland Barons and the San Jose Sharks.

It seems to me that the Riders move is at best an adoption of irrelevant, ugly jerseys for no good reason, while at worst it is a cynically manipulative attempt at getting their fans to buy some "retro" jerseys which few living beings would even associate with the club.

You're still an unbearable troll.

Hater.

Perhaps they were technically the same franchise, but for all intents and purposes it was different - different owners, different colours, different identity.

So wait - are you also saying that the New York Jets and New York Titans are not the same franchise?

It seems to me that the Riders move is at best an adoption of irrelevant, ugly jerseys for no good reason, while at worst it is a cynically manipulative attempt at getting their fans to buy some "retro" jerseys which few living beings would even associate with the club.

Proof that the CFL watches what its "big brother" down south does. :P

photo1.jpg

Archived