NHL: Neither team wearing white?

njdevs7

Some time in the season that's just gone, Detroit and St. Louis both went into the pregame warmup period wearing their dark jerseys, and whoever was the home team (can't remember who) had to switch to their whites. I think that was mentioned in another thread on here before.

But yeah, it's not something I'd like to see much. Not a fan of the football/soccer "clash kit" nonsense.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Some time in the season that's just gone, Detroit and St. Louis both went into the pregame warmup period wearing their dark jerseys, and whoever was the home team (can't remember who) had to switch to their whites. I think that was mentioned in another thread on here before.

But yeah, it's not something I'd like to see much. Not a fan of the football/soccer "clash kit" nonsense.

It was a Detroit home game, St. Louis was wearing their alts. I *think* it was December 9 but I can't remember for certain. Looked fantastic, too bad they didn't get to play the game that way.

It was a Detroit home game, St. Louis was wearing their alts. I *think* it was December 9 but I can't remember for certain. Looked fantastic, too bad they didn't get to play the game that way.

Yeah. The teams had communicated about it before hand, but the Wings forgot and came out in their normal homes before the switch.

I think the "clash kit" philosophy is a great one and something both the NHL and NBA should adopt.

Im not so sure what the big deal is here.

MLB does this all the time.

NBA does as well. (Lakers play home games in yellow)

And just look at the World Cup. If any thing, i think its rare NOT to see a color uni vs. color uni.

As long as everybody is able to distinguish between the two teams, theres no reason not to allow this.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

And just look at the World Cup. If any thing, i think its rare NOT to see a color uni vs. color uni.

As long as everybody is able to distinguish between the two teams, theres no reason not to allow this.

Hockey players move around a heckva lot faster than players any of those sports

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Hockey players move around a heckva lot faster than players any of those sports

I see your point, but I still think certain matchups should be allowed in the NHL. If anything, I think a matchup like yellow versus red would be even better than white, in terms if being able to quickly spot which team is which.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

You also go back to the 80s, and neither LA or Vancouver even had a white jersey.

The difference was that they wore yellow helmets with their yellow jerseys (so did the penguins). In this case if the Bruins wore these yellow jerseys with black helmets against, say, Tampa, then the league would have an issue in today's era with both teams wearing black helmets.

I think the Bruins actually wore white helmets with these at one point. If I recall correctly.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's happened before as well. I think it was "test marketing" when the Rangers played the Canadiens in 1999-2000. However, because the teams both wore blue helmets after the first intermission, Montreal changed to white helmets to differentiate the teams. This was a set up as to the 2000 ASG when the North America and World teams would wear red and blue jerseys, while the goalies wore white.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Baseball could be played in streetclothes and you can tell who is who.

One team is the guys standing spread out on the field, the other team is the guy at bat or running on the bases.

It's not mixed and mashed like Hockey. Though I will say as someone who plays street hockey where nobody ever matches, and dek where you always have color-on-color and little uniformity apart from matching shirts, that it's really not all that hard of a thing to deal with if you're used to it and know who your teammates are, but I can almost understand the argument that TV audiences could have alittle trouble, and I can definitely understand that ice hockey is way faster than dek.

oBIgzrL.png

Yeah. The teams had communicated about it before hand, but the Wings forgot and came out in their normal homes before the switch.

I think the "clash kit" philosophy is a great one and something both the NHL and NBA should adopt.

All in all the clash kit idea can work in the NHL, but there are a few qualifiers.

The first is that the burden to wear the change kit has to fall on the home team. Otherwise you're creating a nightmare for equipment managers league wide. The second is that HD needs to become more widespread for it to work. Go back and re-watch some of those old ASGs that were colour on colour. They look pretty muddled. Now as HD becomes more widely available and improved upon the distinctions between colour on colour uniform matchups will become easier to see.

Archived