2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

My BCS Predictions

Sugar Bowl

Ohio State 14

Arkansas 38

Ohio State stays winless against the SEC, and I honestly think this one could get even uglier than I predict. If Mallet is even decent, it's gonna be a long one for the Buckeyes. He's the best overall QB in college football right now and while I'd love to see my Gamecocks playing in this game, I know Arkansas is definitely the 2nd best team in the SEC this year.

We'll see. B)

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just when you think it's safe to swim in the NCAA football thread Boise :censored:-ing State rears it's head again. Honestly, why are we going on for another 2 pages debating the merit of the team that finished second in the :censored:-ing WAC?

Don't worry. Once the MAACO Bowl is over, we won't have to listen to Boise State talk for a few months.

C'mon December 23rd!

Because nothing bad happened the last time this school hired someone from Oklahoma.

Ponderable: If a :censored: ty football program gets hit with the death penalty, does anybody notice?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And he's right. Boise State beat NOBODY this year. Nebraska is a far better team. And had they played, the Huskers would rout Boise.

Really? Have you seen the Cornhuskers play?

This season, we're a tale of two teams. When our offense shows up and Martinez is healthy, we hung 40-50 points on Washington, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, etc.

When the offense decides to outthink themselves and get cutesy, we have 17-3 wins over South Dakota State or a 6-9 loss to Texas A&M.

To be fair though, assuming we re-beat Washington in the bowl game, we'll wind up 11-3, which is pretty respectable in my opinion.

On a side note, how stupid is it that we'll play Washington 3 times within a 12 month span?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I don't care how dumb it is, it's all about the chance for sweet, sweet revenge in the Holiday Bowl.

(I'll probably concede next year's game at Lincoln since the Huskies will be much younger next season)

Um, yeah, the ACC Champion Hokies sure are nobody.

Again, James Madison happened. Thanks.

ZOMG! SUCH A HUGE LOSS IT SURELY ENDED THEIR SEASON!

That was one of their two losses. They went undefeated in conference play.

Which brings us to the subject of the ACC by and large being a catastrophic pile of suck ALMOST on par with the Big East. Woohoo, you went undefeated. That's almost as hard as running the table in the WAC.

--------------------------------------------------------

Wait, how did Temple get dicked out of a Bowl? I thought NCAA bylaws said 6-6 teams can only get bids once all of the teams that actually bothered to win more than half their games get bids.

I think the bylaws say that 6-6 teams can only get at-large bids once all the 7-5's and above get in. Perhaps all the 6-6 teams got bids that were contracted to go to a specific conference?

I believe that is the case.

My BCS Predictions

You missed the Fiesta Bowl.

My mistake.

Fiesta Bowl

Oklahoma 34

Connecticut 27

Interesting matchup that, from a quick look, appears to be the weakest of the BCS bowl games. You have Oklahoma, a team with only 2 losses- both coming to conference opponents, on the road, and in position to win both games until wasting away in the fourth quarter. Close victories against Air Force and Cincinnati look a bit suspect, but they were early in the season and the opposition was better or at least par for the course that UConn saw week after week in the Big East.

With that said, I see the game being a little closer than paper would predict. Oklahoma hasn't been rock solid lately in the postseason; they are true to their Big 12 colors in giving up quite a bit of points at times, and they do it a lot in the 4th quarter. Connecticut will also be looking to prove they belong in a BCS matchup.

Just when you think it's safe to swim in the NCAA football thread Boise :censored:-ing State rears it's head again. Honestly, why are we going on for another 2 pages debating the merit of the team that finished second in the :censored:-ing WAC?

And likewise, I'm tired of hearing about Ohio State, the SEC, and the same boilerplate complaints about Boise ad nauseum. However, those aren't going away anytime soon, and neither is Boise State.

And it WAS a three-way tie. Boise lost to Nevada who lost to Hawaii who lost to Boise. Simple.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Someone here will tell you they finished in a 3 way, first place tie.

foreshadowing coincidence? :P

I thought it was common sense that when a conference has no championship game and there are more than one team with the same conference-leading record, all teams involved get a share of the conference championship. But I guess that makes me a homer, apparently.

Because nobody cares enough to look that far into it. As far as their BCS worthiness goes, "finished in a three-way-tie for first place in the WAC" doesn't look a whole lot better than "finished second in the WAC."

My guess is that nobody realized Hawaii lost only one WAC game. Which doesn't say a whole lot of good about the level of play in the WAC, to be honest.

IUe6Hvh.png

^ Very true, it doesn't.

The WAC is what it is: the Weaker Athletic Conference.

(Weakest being the Also-ran Coastal Conference...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I thought it was common sense that when a conference has no championship game and there are more than one team with the same conference-leading record, all teams involved get a share of the conference championship. But I guess that makes me a homer, apparently.

I just can't believe the conference doesn't have a format setup for tie-breakers.

I just can't believe the conference doesn't have a format setup for tie-breakers.

Even if they did, the teams are still co-champions. I mean, it's not like Michigan State and Ohio State are not co-champions with Wisconsin in the Big Ten. They are. It's just that Wisconsin gets the BCS bid.

LvZYtbZ.png

I'm tired of hearing about Ohio State

Seriously, how much Ohio State talk is there? I'm the biggest Buckeyes fan here and I go out of my way not to talk too much about them. Everyone here knows I'm an Ohio State fan. I don't feel the need to bludgeon everyone with how great I think my team is and I'm certainly not going to spend half my time whining and crying because no one here "respects" the Buckeyes. Talk to me when your team becomes a national punch line. Until then, how about you settle down and be happy that your mid-major team is even in the national discussion.

But that's got nothing to do with my original point. Talking about Boise State is no big deal. All I'm saying is how much longer do we have to debate how good they are? That's all.

BB52Big.jpg

Someone here will tell you they finished in a 3 way, first place tie.

foreshadowing coincidence? :P

More like a firm grasp of the obvious. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Even if they did, the teams are still co-champions. I mean, it's not like Michigan State and Ohio State are not co-champions with Wisconsin in the Big Ten. They are. It's just that Wisconsin gets the BCS bid.

Yeah, but "We were co-champs" is just something you tell the alumni and boosters to save your ass. Granted it didn't work for the Wannstache this year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived