2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

It is a shame that Cam Newton did not win the Heisman Trophy unanimously. Obviously, the voters that didn't vote for Newton have not been watching college football this season.

Or they have been watching what has been going on off the field as well.

But Auburn and Cam Newton and his father did nothing wrong. SEC schools have been allowed to pay their football players since 1995 - it is a special privilege of being an elite conference.

Can we ban this guy already? Is it not painfully obvious that he's just a troll?

IUe6Hvh.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a shame that Cam Newton did not win the Heisman Trophy unanimously. Obviously, the voters that didn't vote for Newton have not been watching college football this season.

Or they have been watching what has been going on off the field as well.

But Auburn and Cam Newton and his father did nothing wrong. SEC schools have been allowed to pay their football players since 1995 - it is a special privilege of being an elite conference.

So why didn't Reggie Bush and USC get that special privilege? Unless, of course, you believe that the Pac 10 is not an elite conference.

As a board, we need to band together and ignore him. Don't reply to any of his posts, don't talk about any of his posts, don't even talk about how crazy he is. Just let him go and he'll stop. He gets his jollies over you guys talking about him the way we do. Don't feed the troll, rule number 1 of internet message boards.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Heisman curse ENGAGE!

I know its a myth, but I really don't want to hear about the dominance of the SEC all offseason. I really really don't.

The last 4 National Champions came from the SEC with a 5th possible for this season. If that isn't dominance, I have no idea what is.

That just means that your top programs are among the best programs in college football per anum. That said, it has a lot more to do with the individual characteristics of both Alabama schools, Florida, and LSU's programs, rather than them somehow being better battle-tested by the SEC schedule.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As a board, we need to band together and ignore him. Don't reply to any of his posts, don't talk about any of his posts, don't even talk about how crazy he is. Just let him go and he'll stop. He gets his jollies over you guys talking about him the way we do. Don't feed the troll, rule number 1 of internet message boards.

But if I ignore Lights Out, I can't educate him on how college football really works...

I suppose this should go beside "2010 - Cam Newton" ... * We can change the definition of that when appropriate... So, today * stands for: "For now..."

But if I ignore Lights Out, I can't educate him on how college football really works...

I thought the subject was willmorris... but Lights Out will do just fine as well...

I saw, I came, I left.

I've decided that willmorris is either one of the legions of idiot Paul Finebaum callers, or Paul Finebaum himself. I'm not sure which possible identity is scarier.

I hate to break it to you but when it comes to college football, you and willmorris are basically interchangeable. If we changed SEC to Boise State in will's posts and switched Boise State to SEC in your posts would anyone even notice the difference?

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Heisman curse ENGAGE!

I know its a myth, but I really don't want to hear about the dominance of the SEC all offseason. I really really don't.

The last 4 National Champions came from the SEC with a 5th possible for this season. If that isn't dominance, I have no idea what is.

I never said they weren't; I said I don't want to hear about it all off season. :P

I've decided that willmorris is either one of the legions of idiot Paul Finebaum callers, or Paul Finebaum himself. I'm not sure which possible identity is scarier.

I hate to break it to you but when it comes to college football, you and willmorris are basically interchangeable. If we changed SEC to Boise State in will's posts and switched Boise State to SEC in your posts would anyone even notice the difference?

I know this isn't Facebook...

But I Like this post because it's true.

IUe6Hvh.png

In other news, the All-American Team came out, and Scam Newton isn't on it.

Oh, I get it. "Scam" instead of "Cam." Good one.

Repeating Viper, but this was a pretty stupid decision. Cam Newton -- to me as a casual observer -- is as good as Vince Young was when he was with Texas, or Michael Vick when he was in Virginia Tech. There's no more exciting, or dominant, player in college football this season and he absolutely should be recognized for his achievements on the field.

What happens off the field, to me, is more an indictment of the college football system than any one player. If you think Newtown is the only player paid to play, you're crazy.

This is exactly how I feel about the whole situation. College sports as a whole, especially football, are run very poorly. In fact, it's such an incredibly poor setup in football that I really wouldn't be totally surprised to see it scaled back somewhat within the next decade. Eventually somebody will figure out a way to get players to play for their leagues over playing college football, and if they're ever able to scrape together the money, I could see a league like the UFL become to the NFL what the NBDL is to the NBA. If these players are really good enough (in some cases) to go straight to the NFL out of high school, then why in the world would they, not get paid for their services, worry about recruiting violations, go to classes, and everything else a college player has to deal with for three full years if they didn't have to?

That thought is the same idea which Mark Cuban is thinking about. On Dec. 1, Cuban was on local radio (D/FW) talking about the Mavs, Cavs, and if he was going to buy the Stars. At the end of the interview, the hose went into "tech talk" and asked Cuban about if a Kindle or iPod was best, or if he even reads paper books...the conversation went to what he is reading and it was "Death to the BCS". He thinks that the NCAA could be put out of business if some people come to a group of 8-10 schools who will allow their football and basketball departments to be bought out.

Now-former Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is the new head coach at Florida. That sound you hear is me breathing a sigh of relief because IT'S NOT DAN MULLEN.

It also seems as if Will has brought Major Applewhite as his OC to Gainesville as well. I am unsure on how that will work or how they will recruit. Miami is giving a sign of relief for now.

Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you agree.

BB52Big.jpg

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No, it isn't. I speak truth, he speaks opinion.

LvZYtbZ.png

I don't care.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived