2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

The bowl officiating crews have been announced, as far as which conferences are concerned.

ACC (4): Little Caesars, BBVA Compass, Outback, Sugar

Pac-10 (4): Hawaii, Las Vegas, Texas, Fiesta

SEC (4): Meineke Car Care, Sun, GoDaddy.com, Rose

Big Ten (4): Pinstripe, Music City, Champs, BCS Championship

Big 12 (4): Liberty, Capital One, Kraft Hunger, Orange

Big East (3): Military, Chick-fil-A, Gator

C-USA (3): New Orleans, Alamo, Cotton

Mountain West (3): Humanitarian, Holiday, TicketCity

MAC (2): New Mexico, Insight

Sun Belt (2): Beef 'O' Brady's, Independence

WAC (2): Poinsettia, Armed Forces

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good gracious...these bowl game names sure have gotten sucky over the last couple years. But I know--it's all about the $$$. Somehow I feel like someone should draft a quiz: this bowl game used to be called what???

fake edit: there's a Military Bowl? And what tha eff is a Kraft Hunger Bowl?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Good gracious...these bowl game names sure have gotten sucky over the last couple years. But I know--it's all about the $$$. Somehow I feel like someone should draft a quiz: this bowl game used to be called what???

fake edit: there's a Military Bowl? And what tha eff is a Kraft Hunger Bowl?

The real question is what is Beef O' Bradys?

1zqy8ok.gif

Holee sheeit. Didn't even see that one.

I did look up there and had to do a double take when I saw BBVA Compass Bowl...at first when I saw it, I thought it said BBTV Compass Bowl. I was finna be like "oh sh**."

(I should probably go to sleep soon...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Allow me to get my oddball on for a moment...

I don't give a damn what Al Golden has or hasn't done at Temple (26-32, for the record) or how great or suck ass his defenses were at Virginia. Who the hell knows how he's going to do at The U? Whitlock may "know" the MAC because he is one of the 63 people that gives a rat's ass about their football, but he has no clue. This is the same guy that still thinks Jeff George would be a viable NFL quarterback for crying out loud! Besides, when Gene Chizik can go 3-9 and 2-10 in two years at Iowa godforsaken State but in his second year at Auburn lead the Tigers to a BCS National Championship... man, anything can happen!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Mark Cuban is now looking into funding a college football playoff.

In other news, Mark Cuban is now currently one of my favorite people in sports.

Old news, he talked about this two weeks ago on a non-ESPN station. since he did not talk to them, it apparently was not news. Plus, he wants to buy the football and basketball programs in an effort to pay the athlete.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I am watching the FCS Semifinal from Eastern Washington. As bad as the red turf is in a photo, it is three times worse in HD.

10atwpRedTurfFirstPractice6641.jpg

Ironically, they could have made their athletic track any color, and they settled on the basic brick red.

It's damn near unwatchable. The Boise State turf gives me something of a headache, but I can sit there and actually watch the game played on the blue turf.

IUe6Hvh.png

I think the red turf is hilarious. I mean, come on. Eastern Washington could of went with a plain old regular turf.

This may be a gimmicky field, but to say that it doesn't work would be a lie. EWU won last night on that red turf against the defending champions from Villanova. They also won their previous FCS playoff games (2nd Round vs. SE Missouri State and the Quarterfinals vs. North Dakota State) on that turf. They also finally wrestled away the Big Sky championship from Montana's grasp with a win in the field's debut against the Grizz.

It's far too early to see what it can do in the long run, but for the short term 'The Inferno' is actually working for the Eagles.

It looks like Maryland is about to give Friedgen the boot in favor of Mike Leach.

His agent says otherwise

The fact that he is suing his former school is a big reason why he is not being interviewed.

As for Ralph, he just got his 2nd ACC Coach of the Year, and is taking the Terps to their 7th bowl in the past 10 years. (Yes, it is a crap one--travel a bit better, eh, Terps fans?) Attendance is down therefore don't charge so much for tickets.

I think the red turf is hilarious. I mean, come on. Eastern Washington could of went with a plain old regular turf.

Nothing against you, but I think it's ridiculous and an abomination to college football. Same goes for Boise State's field. It's a clear advantage to the home team and should have never been allowed. You play under the same controlled circumstances as everyone or don't compete. I just don't find the humor or appreciation for it.

Both are also horrendously ugly. Oh, and cheap and gimmicky.

It is ridiculous.

I don't mind sponsorship at all, but it should only be an addition to the permanent title of the game. For example:

I don't mind the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl. It is the Peach Bowl. Eliminating the Peach and just calling it the Chick-Fil-A Bowl is retarded.

Every bowl should have a solid name and then have a sponsorship attached to it because we all know how often they rotate. It's confusing and has no chance for tradition. Like a team that changes uniforms every year.

Nothing against you, but I think it's ridiculous and an abomination to college football. Same goes for Boise State's field. It's a clear advantage to the home team and should have never been allowed. You play under the same controlled circumstances as everyone or don't compete. I just don't find the humor or appreciation for it.

True, it does give that team a home field advantage and it is cheap and gimmicky. But, it does produce success. Look at Boise State, look at Eastern Washington. There is something to the oddly colored turf that works for these teams.

Plus, if weren't for these fields, would Boise State be as well known for their football program?

OK, I'll bite.

How does the color of the field negatively impact the opponent alone.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

OK, I'll bite.

How does the color of the field negatively impact the opponent alone.

And I'll add this, are both teams running around constantly looking at the ground or something?

It's a big slab of synthetic grass. Both teams are playing under the same "controlled circumstances." Other than making it hard for the fans to see the players, what's the difference between blue or red, and plain old green turf?

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Archived