2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than hating the SEC I didn't have a dog in the fight, but Dyers wrist was down.

Meh.

1) A wrist is not a knee. It wasn't even a downed wrist at that. More like a palm.

2) It about evens out though, considering that Oregon's last TD drive was spurred by a ref setting a screen for the Oregon rusher.

Any part of the body that isn't a hand or a foot is considered down. If you say his palm was all that touched, then it'd be fair to say that's not done, but I've seen stills that imply otherwise.

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2011/1/11/1927960/auburn-michael-dyer-wrist-was-down

There's a reverse angle still somewhere that shows the white wrap on his wrist/forearm touching the turf, but I can't find that now.

I'm just bummed to see the game end on a fluke play like that, especially when maybe it shouldn't have.

We all know Boise St. would've crushed Auburn in this game.

*waits for it*

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Other than hating the SEC I didn't have a dog in the fight, but Dyers wrist was down.

Meh.

1) A wrist is not a knee. It wasn't even a downed wrist at that. More like a palm.

2) It about evens out though, considering that Oregon's last TD drive was spurred by a ref setting a screen for the Oregon rusher.

Any part of the body that isn't a hand or a foot is considered down. If you say his palm was all that touched, then it'd be fair to say that's not done, but I've seen stills that imply otherwise.

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2011/1/11/1927960/auburn-michael-dyer-wrist-was-down

There's a reverse angle still somewhere that shows the white wrap on his wrist/forearm touching the turf, but I can't find that now.

I'm just bummed to see the game end on a fluke play like that, especially when maybe it shouldn't have.

Everything I've seen there looks like it was his palm. I can see that how from some angels it may look like a wrist was down, but the key word is inconclusive. The call on the field was that he wasn't down. Is there enough video evidence to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was his wrist, and not his palm, that was down? I don't think so.

This really is all for not. Auburn's championship will likely be vacated in three years or so.

And Oregon's would be too if they'd won it, so it really doesn't matter.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

If only Light's Out would have been rooting for Auburn...

As a Alabama fan, this sucks, we got to brag about it for a year and now Auburn fans are going to be bragging about this all year. Oregon couldn't figure out for some reason that the read option wasn't working and that you can't run it up the middle when the other team's D-line is twice as big as your O-line. Also that play where Dyer rolled over the guy was exactly like the play in the Arkansas-Ohio State game which they called the player down, but in that game I thought it was a bogus call so I guess I can't really say anything. Enjoy it while you can Auburn, you may only get to keep it for a month or two.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I made fun of those "I Love My Ducks" guys on Twitter so they retweeted it and now all of the angry crying Nikegon fans are trying to harass me. Good times.

Oregon's play calling was awful at times. They were unable to run the ball successfully for the bulk of the night, and they get the ball inside the five yard line and run the ball four straight times? Really?

IUe6Hvh.png

Oregon's play calling was awful at times. They were unable to run the ball successfully for the bulk of the night, and they get the ball inside the five yard line and run the ball four straight times? Really?

Not only that, but they tried to punch it in the same gap they had been trying to do all night. Their misdirection runs were horribly ineffective, as was their inability to grasp the concept of the "forward pass" when the situation called for it. I mean, we all saw how good Auburn's defensive line was, beyond just a mere size advantage, but most of your biggest gains were to Tuinei when you decided to stretch the field... but wait, let's try to make sure Captain Wildcat dumps it off to somebody for a passing play of negative 3-5 yards, or perhaps fake the hand-off, only to get slammed to the ground by Fairley within about a half-second of doing just that.

Sorry to rant, and I'm honestly not familiar with Oregon at all (I only heard about their scores, never watched a single game until tonight), being that I watch mostly Big Ten, SEC, and occasionally Big 12 games. However, if this is all Oregon did the entire year, it's no wonder they got smothered by Auburn's defense. All in all, their defense was the only thing that kept the game from being a blowout... definitely, it was one of those games that might have been close, but was ugly as hell to watch.

By the way, what genius on their coaching staff thought it was a good idea to lateral the ball on a kickoff when you were leading by four points, only to get taken down at the 5-yard line.

Evidently 6 or 7 weeks gives you plenty of time to forget the KISS principle and believe your own press releases. Chip Kelly should have maybe stepped away from football a week or two during the break.

On a related note, is anyone else tired with having said 6-7 week layoff build up a lot of rust on both Championship teams and lead to an increase in sloppy play for the first half of the game? If the NCAA is going to insist on preserving the Bowl system, why don't they play the National Championship Game within a week or two of the Conference Finals and then let everyone get on to the meaningless exhibition games.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Evidently 6 or 7 weeks gives you plenty of time to forget the KISS principle and believe your own press releases. Chip Kelly should have maybe stepped away from football a week or two during the break.

On a related note, is anyone else tired with having said 6-7 week layoff build up a lot of rust on both Championship teams and lead to an increase in sloppy play for the first half of the game? If the NCAA is going to insist on preserving the Bowl system, why don't they play the National Championship Game within a week or two of the Conference Finals and then let everyone get on to the meaningless exhibition games.

My guess is that hey don't want people stop watching before all the Bowl games are over. Look at the NFL. No one watches the Pro Bowl because people are done with NFL football for six or so months once the Super Bowl is over. The NCAA may feel that if they play the National Championship game before other Bowl games then those other games will suffer ratings-wise.

My guess is that hey don't want people stop watching before all the Bowl games are over. Look at the NFL. No one watches the Pro Bowl because people are done with NFL football for six or so months once the Super Bowl is over. The NCAA may feel that if they play the National Championship game before other Bowl games then those other games will suffer ratings-wise.

I don't think the ratings hit would be as big as you make it out to be. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of a Bowl Game's viewership consists of hard core football fans who will watch the game because it is football, and the teams' fanbases, who won't not watch for obvious reasons.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think the ratings hit would be as big as you make it out to be. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of a Bowl Game's viewership consists of hard core football fans who will watch the game because it is football, and the teams' fanbases, who won't not watch for obvious reasons.

I'm not making anything out to be anything. I'm just trying to understand the NCAA's reasoning. If they feel there's a chance viewership will drop off after the National Championship game then they may not want to risk it.

The NCAA does not care about how the post season in FBS football occurs because they are not in charge of it. All they do is create the calendar on when the regular season must end, when bowl games must be played, and (sometimes) rule on eligibility. If the game has been licensed by the Championships/

Sports Management Cabinet, then the game can run it anytime they want too, but coaches would complain about practive time.

Archived