Unpopular Opinions

Is it an unpopular opinion to think the Phillies looked best during the 70s-80s in their maroon and white jerseys? I especially liked the "P" logo, and maroon isn't a color seen anywhere else in the MLB right now.

Nah, maroon and white looked grat for the Phils. They should have used the new park as a reason to go from bright red back to maroon.

Colored pants look good in baseball. For alternates.

I'd like to see Pittsburgh wear yellow pants with black jerseys but other than that I don't think I want to see pants in anything but white or grey.

I loved the Philliies in maroon. It was unique.

IMO, the Pittsburgh Pirates are a team that can get away with wearing just about anything, probably because they essential have throughout their history.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I feel that the "Jazz" nickname is, in many ways, more synonymous with Utah than New Orleans. Stockton and Malone, the '97 and '98 Finals against Jordan's Bulls, and Jerry Sloan's long tenure in Utah have all made it such an appropriate fit.

I don't see how that makes it an appropriate fit. Just because they have more history in Utah doesn't mean that the name makes more sense than it does for New Orleans. Jazz music is one of the things New Orleans is best known for. Utah is about as well known for jazz as Winnipeg is for beaches and bikinis.

I feel that the "Jazz" nickname is, in many ways, more synonymous with Utah than New Orleans. Stockton and Malone, the '97 and '98 Finals against Jordan's Bulls, and Jerry Sloan's long tenure in Utah have all made it such an appropriate fit.

I don't see how that makes it an appropriate fit. Just because they have more history in Utah doesn't mean that the name makes more sense than it does for New Orleans. Jazz music is one of the things New Orleans is best known for. Utah is about as well known for jazz as Winnipeg is for beaches and bikinis.

I'm guessing he means that he's now come to associate the Jazz nickname as being something he associates with more with Utah than New Orleans. While Jazz itself is not something Utah is famous for, Satomiblood now sees the nickname as being a better fit for Utah than any other team. (Of course this is just my guess.)

Edited by 1insaneguy

And that is the very reason why Jazz fans (not to mention most people roaming these boards and making the decision-makers in the NBA) are against changing the name. It would be a revisionist nightmare of epic proportions.

EDIT: Not to forget that the franchise is entering its 36th season of play in Salt Lake as opposed to its first 5 in New Orleans

How is that revisionist? No one is suggesting they should pretend the Utah Jazz never existed, just that the name should be changed.

People grew up saying "Utah Jazz", so when people say it, they don't give it a second thought, it's just "right" to them. Sure, "New Orleans Jazz" makes more sense when you think about it. Heck, if the Jazz moved from New Orleans to Utah today, I bet they would have renamed to something else.

People grew up saying "Utah Jazz", so when people say it, they don't give it a second thought, it's just "right" to them. Sure, "New Orleans Jazz" makes more sense when you think about it. Heck, if the Jazz moved from New Orleans to Utah today, I bet they would have renamed to something else.

Right. I am 41 and have probably been familiar with all NBA team names for 35 years. And I am not old enough to Remember the New Orleans Jazz. It's been Utah Jazz that entire time.

I hear the argument that they should have changed names when they moved, but now they have 35 years of history in Utah. They have a fan base that is accustomed to that being the team name. The ship has sailed and there's not much benefit to going back now. I don't think anyone in Utah is clamoring for a new name. And I don't think we have a Bobcats/Hornets situation in New Orleans where the entire community's support is dependent on the old name.

And yeah, Jazz is not great for Utah. But Dodgers was a very Brooklyn name and makes no sense for LA. Same with Lakers, which makes much more sense in Minnesota. Grizzlies in Memphis?

The Jazz move is a product of a different era. Some teams back then kept names (Flames, for Example). And while Jazz may not be the best one, it's reflective of the unique history of sports. Would they have kept the name if the move occurred today? No way. But sports history is fun and I think it's great to see that stuff like that happened. Why try to bury it?

If it were up to me, a team would either change names right upon relocation or never. So we'd have the Tennessee Oilers, New Orleans Hornets, etc.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)