2010 NFL Season

NEW.ERA

I'd prefer St. Louis. The less the Vikings have to play in grubby Detroit, the better.

I'd have to imagine this is an extremely huge pain in the ass for the NFL and everyone involved. What a mess.

Also a pain for those who had tickets. There's a foreign exchange student in my history class from Germany who was going to go. Now she won't be able to. Only chance for her to get to a pro American football game.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another reason the Vikings won't want to play at TCF Stadium is because they don't sell alcohol there. At least that was a major reason why the Vikings refused to partner with the U of M when the Gophers were planning their new stadium.

But why couldn't they serve beer there for Vikings games and not Gophers games?

I've only been to two college football stadiums...Beaver Stadium (Penn State) doesn't serve beer, but The Rose Bowl did when I was there...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Now, New Orleans is being mentioned as a possible venue. Perhaps a gift from the NFL, since New Orleans lost the Saints games during Katrina.

Not to mention that the most favored venue at this point (Detroit) could be digging out under from the same weather system that hit Minnesota by this time tomorrow night.

CCSLC signature.png

But why couldn't they serve beer there for Vikings games and not Gophers games?

For this particular game, it's logistics. Even if the U of M were to lift the alcohol ban in the stadium they would still have to get enough beer trucks and beer equipment to the stadium to accommodate 50,000 fans on very short notice, which is hard enough to do under normal traffic conditions when the streets aren't slicked with snow and ice.

On a more permanent basis, if the U lifts the ban "only" for Viking games they'll start coming under pressure from a big chunk of their own season-ticket base to lift it completely. In other words, it's a slippery-slope deal.

CCSLC signature.png

Now, New Orleans is being mentioned as a possible venue. Perhaps a gift from the NFL, since New Orleans lost the Saints games during Katrina.

Plus Favre has such fond memories as a Viking at the Superdome...

Seems they should do everything possible to keep it local so the fans can go. It'll be weird if they play it somewhere else. Won't the stands be empty?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

New England vs. Chicago will be a lot of fun to watch today. Wind chills below zero, 50+ MPH gusts.

Oh yes it is. I am totally jacked, I haven't seen the Bears play a game like this at home I don't think ever.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I would have thought St. Louis made the most sense since the Giants were already in KC. Surprised Detroit travel is a better option, but who knows what all goes into these decisions.

(And thanks to Viper for pointing me to where the conversation is so I stopped talking to myself in the Vikings stadium thread. :) )

Can we please get off Katrina already? It was like 5 years ago. I thought the Saints winning the Super Bowl last year completed the "great" story.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I would have thought St. Louis made the most sense since the Giants were already in KC. Surprised Detroit travel is a better option, but who knows what all goes into these decisions.

TV logistics were apparently the deciding factor, as Fox already has a crew in Detroit for today's Packers-Lions game.

I wonder what kind of crowd they'll have at tomorrow night's game, and how it compares to attendance at the Lions' own games this year.

And now they're saying the Dome might not even be good to go in time for next Monday night's game with the Bears.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived