ESPN's 50 Most Painful Outcomes in the History Of NCAAF

cameroncrazie07

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT FOR GRAMMAR - The fact that they used the adjective "painful" is sensationalizing in its own way, which ESPN likes to do as much as they can.

:blink: Huh?

There goes that whistling sound again.

Ok, I got the first joke. But now, yes, this joke went right over my head. Still don't understand....

Even though one is the greatest game ever and the other is the greatest finish ever, the 2006 Rose Bowl and 2007 Fiesta Bowl have to be on this list too for the losing teams (USC and Oklahoma).

For every amazing and awesome moment in sports, there is the crushing other side of it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

A couple others came to mind:

I forgot what year it was, but the UCLA-Miami game in the late-90's or maybe 2000: The game got postponed until December because of a hurricane, and UCLA entered the game #2 in the polls. All they needed was a win, and Cade McNown had a lousy game. Miami wins, and UCLA has to settle for the Rose Bowl.

Georgia Tech-Clemson 2004: Clemson's undefeated at the time, and is leading most of the game. Tech scores a couple late TD's to make it close, but Clemson has the ball with just a minute or so left. One first down ends the game. Instead...Whitehurst slides short of the first-down marker, another run gets stopped for no gain, Tech calls timeout, and Clemson throws the ball incomplete. Then, on the punt attempt, the snap bounces to and past the punter, and he falls on it on his own 10-yard line with like 20 seconds left. Tech takes a shot at the end zone and Calvin Johnson leaps over a Clemson defender to catch the TD pass. Tech wins.

Gotta figure Michigan vs. Appalachian State will be top 5, if not #1.

I'm sure this list is open to interpretation, since every school will have their own "most painful" moment.

I just watched that game on Youtube, and as a Gophers fan, it was one of the best moments I've had in my lifetime (since the Gophers do diddly squat).

I can't think of a painful moment in Gophers history (or at least in my time) that is worthy of being considered for "most painful".

The one where Iowa closed out your Metrodome career with a complete and utter 55 point violation probably counts. Especially when the Iowa fans tried to take the goal posts out of the stadium.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm sure this list is open to interpretation, since every school will have their own "most painful" moment.

I just watched that game on Youtube, and as a Gophers fan, it was one of the best moments I've had in my lifetime (since the Gophers do diddly squat).

I can't think of a painful moment in Gophers history (or at least in my time) that is worthy of being considered for "most painful".

The one where Iowa closed out your Metrodome career with a complete and utter 55 point violation probably counts. Especially when the Iowa fans tried to take the goal posts out of the stadium.

I remember that one. But, I thought of it just like any other awful Gophers loss. They are just an average team, who are lucky to win 6 games a year.

Knowing ESPN, if it doesn't involve USC or Notre Dame, I'd think Boise State over Oklahoma might get shoehorned into that spot. There really wasn't anything major on the line in App St-Michigan, since it was the first game of the season, but I still wouldn't doubt seeing it make it up near the top of the list.

I forgot what year it was, but the UCLA-Miami game in the late-90's or maybe 2000: The game got postponed until December because of a hurricane, and UCLA entered the game #2 in the polls. All they needed was a win, and Cade McNown had a lousy game. Miami wins, and UCLA has to settle for the Rose Bowl.

That was 1998...and it made the list at #33. I also remember the Arkansas-Tennessee game you mentioned. Man, Clint Stoerner had to feel like the sickest man in America after leaving that ball on the ground. And since we're on the optic of the SEC, that Bluegrass Miracle game had better be up there in like the top 5 or something. I can still remember the one defensive lineman who straight up busted into tears after that last-second touchdown (and if you can find the YouTube video, he clearly screams "F***!" in the middle of crying.)

Here's one many might have forgotten, but I certainly haven't: the 1996 Sugar Bowl. This was for the national title. (Yeah--talk about "stakes".) The teams: #3 Florida vs #1 Florida State. These teams had just met a few weeks prior, in the annual end-of-season archrivalry game, and were then ranked #1 and #2 respectively. Florida State beat the Gators at the Doak en route to an undefeated season, the #1 ranking, and a sure spot in that season's national championship game. Through a series of consequences (namely Ohio State beating Arizona State), the Seminoles' opponent in the 1998 title game ended up being their archest of rivals, who came in ranked #3. The Gators then proceeded to roll on the Seminoles en route to a 52-20 victory and the national title.

To this day, I can still remember the t-shirts made up after that game: "'Sugar' Sweet...revenge never tasted so good." Needless to say, I was heated about that one.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

To me as a Washington fan, I'd go towards the 'Bottom of the Barrel Bowl', otherwise known as the 2008 Apple Cup game.

Washington comes in at 0-10 and Wazzu wasn't any better at 1-9 at that time. The fact that the game went into overtime was sickening enough, but to lose to your arch rival, the one school you as a fan know is your most disliked rival, the one school who you know would be more then willing to be the sacrficial lamb... Didn't.

Wazzu went 2-10 while Washington finished that season at 0-12... The worst season ever for the Huskies.

I'm no USC fan but I can distinctly remember the end of the Rose Bowl against Texas. Everybody in the universe knew that with only one play left Vince Young was going to run. It's the most obvious thing in the world. To see him get into the endzone was absolutely unbelieveable to me, how could you not stack against him running? That's all he can do for cripes sakes, what did you think was going to happen in the biggest play of the season!? :wacko:

I'm no USC fan but I can distinctly remember the end of the Rose Bowl against Texas. Everybody in the universe knew that with only one play left Vince Young was going to run. It's the most obvious thing in the world. To see him get into the endzone was absolutely unbelieveable to me, how could you not stack against him running? That's all he can do for cripes sakes, what did you think was going to happen in the biggest play of the season!? :wacko:

I know right I remember thinking the exact same thing

I think dfwabel's point is that these losses aren't "painful" because they don't involve any realistic pain or injury for the fans of the teams involved and ESPN's use of the word is just sensationalism.

It's a weak point, but it's a point nonetheless.

The CCSLC had a most painful/sad game thread nearly three to fours years ago.

IMO, Marshall should be #1 overall. The current ESPN criteria speaks of the game and its impact. Marshall lost that 1974 game to East Carolina...then lost members of the team in the plane crash back.

Archived