ESPN's 50 Most Painful Outcomes in the History Of NCAAF

cameroncrazie07

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two more that should make the Top 20:

1) The "fifth down" game in which Mizzou stopped Colorado on downs near the end of the game, but the officials mistakenly gave the Buffs offense one more play, in which they scored the game-winning TD.

2) Even though it's not usually thought of as a "painful" moment in college football history, The Play cost Stanford a rare winning season and John Elway what would have been his one and only college bowl game appearance.

CCSLC signature.png

Two more that should make the Top 20:

1) The "fifth down" game in which Mizzou stopped Colorado on downs near the end of the game, but the officials mistakenly gave the Buffs offense one more play, in which they scored the game-winning TD.

2) Even though it's not usually thought of as a "painful" moment in college football history, The Play cost Stanford a rare winning season and John Elway what would have been his one and only college bowl game appearance.

Agreed I was thinking when the fifth down game would come up.

And I think that "the play" will make it too

You know what...nevermind.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5th Down was way more devastating than "The Play" and a few others ranked high on that list. This is probably just ESPN's way of hating on the soon-to-be-defunct Big 12 (then Big 8). As we all know, ESPN only gets in bed with you if you're sexy.

And since I mentioned it, I am sick and tired of "The Play". Stunned it wasn't #1 on this list, becuase it tops every other college football play list. It happened during a meaningless Cal-Stanford game. So Elway didn't get to play in a bowl game as a senior because of it? Yeah, reeeeeeal crushing! <_<

6uXNWAo.png

Yeah but...but...TEH BANND WUZ AHN DUH FEEYLD!!!!4222110!111

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yeah but...but...TEH BANND WUZ AHN DUH FEEYLD!!!!4222110!111

The quote is actually "Oh, the band is out on the field!"

Everyone gets this wrong.

topic? I don't see why the OSU-Michigan tie is on the list, but the66 MSU-ND tie is not. That game was basically the national championship.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

5th Down was way more v than "The Play" and a few others ranked high on that list. This is probably just ESPN's way of hating on the soon-to-be-defunct Big 12 (then Big 8).

I guess that explains why there was a (then-future) Big 12 team involved in their #1 most painful game. Yeah, they're definitely hating on the Big 12.

Tuck Fexas.

Grow up. This whole "Get the Red out for Texas" stuff is beyond juvenile. Sad, I've always thought Husker fans were classy.

Yes, yes, remember the media narrative that Texas is the victim and not the crazy high maintenance bitch that will blow everything up the second Bevo TV is up and running. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I believe that ESPN's criteria for selecting these "pains" is probably different than what a fan might conclude. They were going based off whether it was a rivalry game and if conference or national title hopes were on the line primarily. I know that they missed a lot of games though. For instance, as a Husker I was proud to see the "Flea Kicker" last minute win against Mizzou and a couple NU-Oklahoma matchups, but they completely missed the thrashing that NU gave to Florida in the 1995 National Championship. The final score of 62-24 is still both the highest score in a NC and the largest margin of victory in a NC.

Really wish they would have included that.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Tuck Fexas.

Grow up. This whole "Get the Red out for Texas" stuff is beyond juvenile. Sad, I've always thought Husker fans were classy.

Most of us are. I still think that Vince Young got cheated out of a Heisman. Good luck in October, BTW.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Tuck Fexas.

Most of us are. I still think that Vince Young got cheated out of a Heisman. Good luck in October, BTW.

Thanks buddy, best to you as well.

newsig.jpg

I know one thing, seems like whenever the Badgers find the most boneheaded way possible to lose, it will happen in the Michigan game. The two that stick out in my mind are the 01 game at Camp Randall (in which we learn the value of knowing where the ball is the hard way)and the 08 game at Ann Arbor (which was a more garden variety "let's stop making any effort and blow a huge lead on the road")

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Tuck Fexas.

Yes, yes, remember the media narrative that Texas is the victim and not the crazy high maintenance bitch that will blow everything up the second Bevo TV is up and running. :rolleyes:

Never said we were "victims" Ram. Blame the Big XII for creating an unequal disbursement ratio. I don't like it either and it will probably destroy what's left of the conference. FWIW I stopped being a crazy high maintenance bitch right after high school.

newsig.jpg

Archived