Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brooklynettes?

Man, I hope not.

Sounds for all the world like a Phil Spector group, which is just what you want when you're a basketball team owned by Jay-Z. I guess. But hey, Brooklyn! They go hard! To the net!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

(Actually, there is a New York Cosmos, again, so never mind).

So? Nobody has a problem with the MLB and NFL both having teams named the Cardinals, and nobody cared when the NHL and NFL both had teams named the Jets.

Unfortunately, they both play in the same city.

Still think Brooklyn Knights is an awesome name. The team should have a navy and orange scheme though.

To be similar to their neighbors the Knicks?

(Actually, there is a New York Cosmos, again, so never mind).

So? Nobody has a problem with the MLB and NFL both having teams named the Cardinals, and nobody cared when the NHL and NFL both had teams named the Jets.

Unfortunately, they both play in the same city.

Still think Brooklyn Knights is an awesome name. The team should have a navy and orange scheme though.

To be similar to their neighbors the Knicks?

I agree. No Orange and Blue. But, they should go with a more royal blue and red to mirror the Dodger colors.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Not that I like the name Nets (because I don't), but I think Knights is a terrible name. To me, it is too generic and bland for a pro team. Every high school athletic conference in the nation has Cougars, Wildcats and Knights in it. Knights sounds like the name they give a pro team in a movie that didn't want to pay for the rights to use real team names. I could see them sticking with Nets because there is history behind it, but I believe they could have come up with something better than Nets and Knights.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not that I like the name Nets (because I don't), but I think Knights is a terrible name. To me, it is too generic and bland for a pro team. Every high school athletic conference in the nation has Cougars, Wildcats and Knights in it. Knights sounds like the name they give a pro team in a movie that didn't want to pay for the rights to use real team names. I could see them sticking with Nets because there is history behind it, but I believe they could have come up with something better than Nets and Knights.

"Knights," in my opinion, is no less generic then "Eagles," "Bears," or "Tigers."

"Knights," in my opinion, is no less generic then "Eagles," "Bears," or "Tigers."

No, but it is a little more generic. :P

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Knights seems super-generic because it's probably the most self-evident sports team name not represented in the four leagues or with any college programs of significance. "Wildcats" is the next one on the list but there are a few of those in the college ranks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Knights is a generic name but doesn't sound amateurish like Wildcats, Bulldogs, etc. It could definitely work for a team today.

Brooklyn Knights is in no way generic when you consider people from Brookyln are called Brooklynites. It's rather clever.

Follow my attempts to rid the world of the evil that is Laura Dern @LDisadirtbag.

My dog Folsom has a Twitter that's nothing but pictures of him pooping and sharing what he likes @folsomcanpoop.

If that's not enough, I have my own Twitter @DieZombieScum.

From the New Jersey Americans to the New York Nets to the New Jersey Nets to the Brooklyn...?

If I had to speculate, I'd say Brooklyn Knights (as in, "Brooklynites"), but who knows. Don't wait for the rush - start doing your USPTO TESS searches now! LOL

Like it.

Or:

Brooklyn Dodgers (make it happen, NBA)

Brooklyn Robins (after Jackie Robinson)

And add me to the (probably huge) list of people who want to buy sports merchandise that says "BROOKLYN" on it when this change happens. In terms of new uniforms for any team in any sport, is there anything that has more potential than this?

Brooklyn Dodgers will never happen, nor should it. I like the Brooklyn Robins (even though the Dodgers were at one time called that as well), especially in paying homage to Jackie. Or you could go with the Brooklyn Jacks. I think all along since this whole thing has started to come to fruition under Prokhorov I've been hoping for Brooklyn Knights, but I would like something like the Robins or Jacks or something.

Knights is a generic name but doesn't sound amateurish like Wildcats, Bulldogs, etc. It could definitely work for a team today.

Brooklyn Knights is in no way generic when you consider people from Brookyln are called Brooklynites. It's rather clever.

Agreed Nacho. Not to mention this name has been thrown around for over a year now for that very reason. While "Knights" is a generic name in general, it works perfectly in this situation. Sometimes depending on the circumstances the simplest most generic names work the best.

I like that color scheme and they can definitely do it in a way where it unique to them and not too similar to the Knicks. I like the Navy and Orange though because those are the NY Knights colors from The Natural lol

Navy and Orange? I don't know. That's too similar to the Knicks IMO.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Archived