Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

never mind

Brooklyn...

Na, they will be the New York somethings. Thats my money. Global brand. Brooklyn is too bourough specific. Only guys from Brooklyn or transfers to Long Island would like a Brooklyn specific team. "New York" can keep all its old fans in jersey, old New York Nets fans and pick up Connecticut and Yonkers and Queens and even Manhattan and Europe and Asia. But Brooklyn would be too narrow.

New York Nets there is your winner.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm....Brooklyn DOES have huge brand appeal, or did you ignore that discussion in the thread?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

never mind

Brooklyn...

Na, they will be the New York somethings. Thats my money. Global brand. Brooklyn is too bourough specific. Only guys from Brooklyn or transfers to Long Island would like a Brooklyn specific team. "New York" can keep all its old fans in jersey, old New York Nets fans and pick up Connecticut and Yonkers and Queens and even Manhattan and Europe and Asia. But Brooklyn would be too narrow.

It's already been confirmed that they will go by Brooklyn.

Nets is probably better than anything they can come up with. Nets is at least not soulless. Dr. J played with that name on his chest.

I'd like to see someone design a modern version of this.

dr-j.jpg

On a slightly off-topic note, I kinda dig how Dr. J used his sweatbands to emphasize the asymmetric design of the uni. Of course, I think today's NBA has rules preventing a player from wearing "mismatching" sweatbands.

At least one person understands the intricacies of the language.

Thanks for telling me I don't understand the intricacies of the English language because I got the idea that people slur their words! :)

'At least one person understands' as in 'a minimum of one person understands'. Not as in 'this person and no one else understands'.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Nets is fine with me.

But still.... I'd rather it be Brawlers. Sorry, but other than 'Dodgers' or 'Brusers', Brawlers is the first to come to mind.

Or how how about.... dare I say it... the Brooklyn BEASTIES?

beastieboys.jpeg

...hey, just throwin em out there.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Nets is fine with me.

But still.... I'd rather it be Brawlers. Sorry, but other than 'Dodgers' or 'Brusers', Brawlers is the first to come to mind.

beastieboys.jpeg

I'm sure the NBA is gonna allow a team called the Brawlers.

Nets is fine with me.

beastieboys.jpeg

I'm sure the NBA is gonna allow a team called the Brawlers.

... yeah, I guess not.

I mean, Washington basically just went back to their Bullets uniforms WITHOUT renaming themselves the Bullets.

Still, I like Brawlers.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Nets is probably better than anything they can come up with. Nets is at least not soulless. Dr. J played with that name on his chest.

dr-j.jpg

On a slightly off-topic note, I kinda dig how Dr. J used his sweatbands to emphasize the asymmetric design of the uni. Of course, I think today's NBA has rules preventing a player from wearing "mismatching" sweatbands.

Dr. J looks like the coolest dude around.

dr-j.jpg

Dr. J looks like the coolest dude around.

Dr. J IS the coolest dude around.

Nets is fine with me.

beastieboys.jpeg

Shorten that to Brooklyn Beasts and you have a real option. If it was the '90s I guarantee they'd go with Beasts.

never mind

Brooklyn...

Brooklyn is the most populated borough, and I disagree about it only drawing Brooklyn people. NY is a very fair-weather town when it comes to Basketball. When the Knicks are good, they are the hottest ticket in town. When they are bad, you can get tickets for $7 on StubHub. If the Nets are whatever they call themselves are good and the Knicks are not, people will go to Nets games.

As far as the name, when the plan to move to Brooklyn first surfaced the talk was they would become the Brooklyn Eagles, after the newspaper, "The Brooklyn Eagle", that used to be printed across the street from the arena location. However, that was under the previous owner, haven't heard anything about it lately.

I still maintain the name should be Brooklyn Knights. Not only does it sound like Brooklynites, as positive alternative to Brooklynettes, but it's a common team name not used in any of the 4 major leagues that doesn't sound amateurish.

The problem with 'Knights' is that its 2 letters away from 'Knicks'... Not sure if a team intending to be an "alternative" to the Knicks would like to have a name so similar.

I still maintain the name should be Brooklyn Knights. Not only does it sound like Brooklynites, as positive alternative to Brooklynettes, but it's a common team name not used in any of the 4 major leagues that doesn't sound amateurish.

The problem with 'Knights' is that its 2 letters away from 'Knicks'... Not sure if a team intending to be an "alternative" to the Knicks would like to have a name so similar.

I don't think that would be too big of a problem. 'Knights' and 'Knicks' don't sounds anything alike. They'd also have entirely different logos and color schemes, so I don't think the similarity in spelling would hurt their branding.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived