Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

Brooklyn Nets is a good name. That name the Nets has history that goes along with it. Why go with a soul less name like the Brooklyn Knights or Brooklyn Bombers or whatever you can come up with.

nets1.jpg

Source: http://www.michael-weinstein.com/tags/new-york/

By the way the logo is laid out I can tell you are a professional designer that understands the relationship of type.

But you still choose to use Agency as a font without you client forcing you to, which is a shame, as its an overused monstrosity.

Its not bad, but using that font to me, as a peer, seems like a cop-out of your obvious skills.

I don't mean to inflame or insult. But you might as well just used serpentine or copperplate.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Nets" would be a silly name if it didn't come about to match the Mets and Jets. Within this context, however, what else would you call New York's second basketball team. I like it, and sometimes lament that we couldn't name the Islanders the Pets. Bearing this in mind, "New York Nets" is the only sensible name, as any other location scuttles the continuity of the B-team nomenclature, and you're better off casting a wide net (ugh) over the tri-state area and not trying to milk the Brooklyn nostalgia teat dry. Also, "Brooklyn Ballers" is stupid.

Hey, Brooklyn Ballers isn't that bad!

Tf9TG.jpg

By the way the logo is laid out I can tell you are a professional designer that understands the relationship of type.

But you still choose to use Agency as a font without you client forcing you to, which is a shame, as its an overused monstrosity.

Its not bad, but using that font to me, as a peer, seems like a cop-out of your obvious skills.

I don't mean to inflame or insult. But you might as well just used serpentine or copperplate.

Dexter didn't make that logo. It was somebody's Nets concept in a series of NBA redesigns they had done last year (which Dexter linked to), and the Nets logo in particular has been floating around the Internet.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

"Nets" would be a silly name if it didn't come about to match the Mets and Jets. Within this context, however, what else would you call New York's second basketball team. I like it, and sometimes lament that we couldn't name the Islanders the Pets. Bearing this in mind, "New York Nets" is the only sensible name, as any other location scuttles the continuity of the B-team nomenclature, and you're better off casting a wide net (ugh) over the tri-state area and not trying to milk the Brooklyn nostalgia teat dry. Also, "Brooklyn Ballers" is stupid.

Hey, Brooklyn Ballers isn't that bad!

No, it's worse.

RIP Brooklyn Nets... what couldve actually been a cool team name

How exactly is that a cool team name? How is "Nets" a relevant team name at all? It's like a baseball team being the New York Bases, or football team being the New York End Zones.

Go 'Zones!

Screw you! New England 25 Yard Lines all the way!

spacer.png

The color scheme I see from the announcement and website is either Black/Sky Blue/White or Graphite/Sky Blue/White. Either would be acceptable, but I will literally be praying for a Graphite & Sky NBA team. It would be unique and has the potential to translate damn well on logos/uniforms/court/ads.

Brooklyn Knights in Graphite/Sky would be better, but I can live with Nets.

Brooklyn Nets is a good name. That name the Nets has history that goes along with it. Why go with a soul less name like the Brooklyn Knights or Brooklyn Bombers or whatever you can come up with.

nets1.jpg

Source: http://www.michael-weinstein.com/tags/new-york/

I just can't help but think of the planet Saturn when I look at this. Is there a moon orbiting Saturn named Brooklyn????

Knights is a generic name but doesn't sound amateurish like Wildcats, Bulldogs, etc. It could definitely work for a team today.

Brooklyn Knights is in no way generic when you consider people from Brookyln are called Brooklynites. It's rather clever.

Agreed Nacho. Not to mention this name has been thrown around for over a year now for that very reason. While "Knights" is a generic name in general, it works perfectly in this situation. Sometimes depending on the circumstances the simplest most generic names work the best.

Also, the Brooklyn Knights initials are BK, which is ANOTHER nickname for Brooklyn. They could just use the initials on merchandise and it will be instantly identifiable with the team and with the area.

oakqb4.jpg

Knights is a generic name but doesn't sound amateurish like Wildcats, Bulldogs, etc. It could definitely work for a team today.

Brooklyn Knights is in no way generic when you consider people from Brookyln are called Brooklynites. It's rather clever.

Agreed Nacho. Not to mention this name has been thrown around for over a year now for that very reason. While "Knights" is a generic name in general, it works perfectly in this situation. Sometimes depending on the circumstances the simplest most generic names work the best.

Also, the Brooklyn Knights initials are BK, which is ANOTHER nickname for Brooklyn. They could just use the initials on merchandise and it will be instantly identifiable with the team and with the area.

At this point, Brooklyn Knights only makes sense.

spacer.png

The color scheme I see from the announcement and website is either Black/Sky Blue/White or Graphite/Sky Blue/White. Either would be acceptable, but I will literally be praying for a Graphite & Sky NBA team. It would be unique and has the potential to translate damn well on logos/uniforms/court/ads.

I see Barclays corporate colors. Nothing more.

I see Barclays corporate colors. Nothing more.

Don't dash our dreams like that...here's hoping for graphite & sky as well, eRay. and yea, this was a wasted opportunity to make them the Knights, though its not like we're going to see NBA basketball this season anyway.

Archived