Favorite Basketball Uniforms

Lights Out

Thanks to Ice Cap and others. I really wasn't trying to be rude.

I was just saying what I've seen around here, which is alot more people like classic uniforms than crazy ones like I do. Just a different taste.

And some people like myslef, can also like both. Just a preference.

Just good to be in a place, like Preacher said, where people like us who pay attention and actually care about this kinda stuff can talk. Regardless if we see eye to eye.

2ly2w09.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not even going to bother posting in these threads, I'll just say refer to Lights Out's posts and it would be what I was going to put, haha.

I don't consider his taste out there, as I have the same taste. We just appreciate creative and inventive uniforms rather than plain and boring uniforms like so many seem to like for, I don't know why.

I can apprecaite some classic uniforms and like some, but I love alternate and flashy uniforms as well. They are so much better.

^I'm with you.

But some people think 'design' is changing the colors of stripes on a tired pattern that's been used a thousand times. Others appreciate actual design. Creating something. Not regurgitating the same old same.

I imagine these types of people as wearing only 1 brand of polo shirt- only in solid colors that don't vary much, and khaki pants every day of their lives. Sometimes they might get CRAZY and unbutton the top button.

Could be wrong. That's what's in my mind though.

Hey, you know what a really douchey thing to do is? Make broad, insulting generalizations about people just because they don't like what you like. Bravo.

... I said I imagine them as wearing the same types of simple clothing that mirrors their uniform preferences.

How is that insulting? It's a simple analogy. It wasn't "douchey"... trust me. I can go douche to the max. I was being nice. Lighten up, kiddo.

I like both- but I favor modern design because it's different and typically is a step in the right direction from a tired look. Others shun new looks simply because they're new and not what their grandpa would have liked. Look at the 70s. The unis were terrible, but they were an upgrade from the stuff the leather-heads were wearing.

I'm not even going to bother posting in these threads, I'll just say refer to Lights Out's posts and it would be what I was going to put, haha.

I don't consider his taste out there, as I have the same taste. We just appreciate creative and inventive uniforms rather than plain and boring uniforms like so many seem to like for, I don't know why.

I can apprecaite some classic uniforms and like some, but I love alternate and flashy uniforms as well. They are so much better.

^I'm with you.

But some people think 'design' is changing the colors of stripes on a tired pattern that's been used a thousand times. Others appreciate actual design. Creating something. Not regurgitating the same old same.

I imagine these types of people as wearing only 1 brand of polo shirt- only in solid colors that don't vary much, and khaki pants every day of their lives. Sometimes they might get CRAZY and unbutton the top button.

Hey, you know what a really douchey thing to do is? Make broad, insulting generalizations about people just because they don't like what you like. Bravo.

... I said I imagine them as wearing the same types of simple clothing that mirrors their uniform preferences.

How is that insulting? It's a simple analogy. It wasn't "douchey"... trust me. I can go douche to the max. I was being nice. Lighten up, kiddo.

I like both- but I favor modern design because it's different and typically is a step in the right direction from a tired look. Others shun new looks simply because they're new and not what their grandpa would have liked. Look at the 70s. The unis were terrible, but they were an upgrade from the stuff the leather-heads were wearing.

You really don't get it do you sparky? You can't insult people behind a passive-aggressive facade of innocence and not have it be insulting. Of course judging from your post record here, you're really nothing more then a troll, picking whichever side of a discussion will irritate the most people. I bet if modernists outnumbered traditionalists on this board you would be singing high praises for the Yankees and Celtics' looks.

Douche.

It seems like I went to a cat-fight and a uni discussion broke out...

Anyway, here are some of my faves.

The old...

Oakland Oaks/Washington Caps: Always liked the green and gold, and to this day, this is my favorite striping pattern of all time. This basic design was used by a ton of college and pro teams back in the 60s and early 70s, including the Univ. of Houston, LSU, Ohio State, Niagara, St. John's, Syracuse, UCLA (sans jersey side stripes), New York Nets, Virginia Squires, Detroit Pistons (sans jersey stripes), Kansas City Kings, etc. And I liked ever single one of them...

BarryLiftoffLigonClose.jpg

Especially the Hawks (think they wore these both in St. Louis and the first year or two in Atlanta). I really like the red-white-navy against the light blue background, and once again (as in my football favorites), I'm a sucker for the drop-shadow.

HAW70R23_W.jpg

Here's Elvin Hayes in the Houston version of this template, watching Lew Alcindor in another iconic uni:

1968_LewAlcindorCOVER.jpg

To this day, no one has done the combination of dark blue and light blue better, though seemingly half the NBA has tried in the last few years. And the second pic here has my favorite Knicks design of all time, too.

nba_g_baylor2_400.jpgElginBaylor.jpg

And I think these still look fresh and innovative 40 years later...

p0baxbpgemif35g5ql1xt4z3q.gifxgsrd3vnijq2lf31jm2hndnrh.gif

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

^I'm with you.

You really don't get it do you sparky? You can't insult people behind a passive-aggressive facade of innocence and not have it be insulting. Of course judging from your post record here, you're really nothing more then a troll, picking whichever side of a discussion will irritate the most people. I bet if modernists outnumbered traditionalists on this board you would be singing high praises for the Yankees and Celtics' looks.

Douche.

Yes, you're so right! Damned me and my own opinion!!

I wish I were also a robot- life would be much easier. Instead... I'm a 'troll" with my own identity. It's a sad life for me.

Signed,

Douche.

^I'm with you.

Douche.

I wish I were also a robot- life would be much easier. Instead... I'm a 'troll" with my own identity. It's a sad life for me.

Signed,

Douche.

Oh I have a great idea. Howz about everybody quit bit ching and ruining such a potentially great thread.

Where are mods when you need them?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Some wierd logic coming from the pro-modern side. I don't identify with either pro-retro or pro-newgangled, but I definitely do think the uniform of a professional sports team should look clean, and refined, and dignified, and imediately identifiable from half a block away, or the back row at the arena. I assume the folks some of you guys are lumping into the "boring, oldfashioned" group feel the same way. I can see the fun in wacky designs like some of the 90s stuff. But, I don't think a super-detailed, photo-realistic picture of whatever animal a team is named after belongs on a uniform. And crazy modern robotic stripes and piping often looks silly. But not always --- the capitals come to mind. I suppose the atlanta hawks don't look too terrible, but I hate the logo, and they shoulda kept their previous colour schemes. But some of the posts above seem almost like jokes to me. The grizzlies? I agree, the native-american banding thing is kinda cool, but that big dumb angry bear is ridiculous, and the wordmark is awful. Same for the original raps monstrosities (and I'm a die-hard raptor fan.) That said -- these are all just subjective tastes, and nothing worth fighting and namecalling over....

My favs:

The celtics -- call them plain or oldfashioned, but they're undeniably the best. So perfectly clean, and instantly recognizable, and dead-on for the city and mascot....timeless, not old fashioned.

The new jazz (though navy and yellow is kinda way overused)

the heat

raptors (current and purple with black back, sans chevrons)

pistons

current grizzlies (especially the alternate - a nice example of good-modern)

old green/yellow sonics

blazers (past and present)

lebron era cavs

^I'm with you.

Douche.

Signed,

Douche.

Oh I have a great idea. Howz about everybody quit bit ching and ruining such a potentially great thread.

Where are mods when you need them?

This is a uniform thread discussing tastes in uniforms. Forgive us, please for sharing our opinions on a message board created for doing so. It's not a big deal. Just skip the posts you aren't interested in. I do it consistently.

Now to contribute:

vince_carter_north_carolina.jpg

college-basketball-picks1.jpg

This is a uniform thread discussing tastes in uniforms. Forgive us, please for sharing our opinions on a message board created for doing so. It's not a big deal. Just skip the posts you aren't interested in. I do it consistently.

While I agree with you, I felt as though you guys were starting to cross the line of discussion or going into the realm of trash talk and insults. I didn't want this thread to be locked and graveyarded because a couple of guys couldn't keep their egos in check. This is one of the best forums on the Net. I enjoy coming here daily. I hope to help keep it a great place for people to openly discuss differing opinions without fear of persecution. That is all.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

While I agree with you, I felt as though you guys were starting to cross the line of discussion or going into the realm of trash talk and insults. I didn't want this thread to be locked and graveyarded because a couple of guys couldn't keep their egos in check. This is one of the best forums on the Net. I enjoy coming here daily. I hope to help keep it a great place for people to openly discuss differing opinions without fear of persecution. That is all.

Actually, considering there have been countless "Favorite Uniform" threads in the past (so I've been told), you shouldn't have to worry. Even if these threads are graveyarded, someone will probably start up a new one.

Some wierd logic coming from the pro-modern side. I don't identify with either pro-retro or pro-newgangled, but I definitely do think the uniform of a professional sports team should look clean, and refined, and dignified, and imediately identifiable from half a block away, or the back row at the arena. I assume the folks some of you guys are lumping into the "boring, oldfashioned" group feel the same way. I can see the fun in wacky designs like some of the 90s stuff. But, I don't think a super-detailed, photo-realistic picture of whatever animal a team is named after belongs on a uniform. And crazy modern robotic stripes and piping often looks silly. But not always --- the capitals come to mind. I suppose the atlanta hawks don't look too terrible, but I hate the logo, and they shoulda kept their previous colour schemes. But some of the posts above seem almost like jokes to me. The grizzlies? I agree, the native-american banding thing is kinda cool, but that big dumb angry bear is ridiculous, and the wordmark is awful. Same for the original raps monstrosities (and I'm a die-hard raptor fan.) That said -- these are all just subjective tastes, and nothing worth fighting and namecalling over...

Beautifully said. I'm glad this is coming from a Raptors fan, too. I can relate as a Ducks fan.. our team had arguably the WORST uniform in the history of North American professional sport ('95 Wild Wing third), and I can openly bash it while still loving my team. Same goes for our current threads. I HATE The wordmark logo and the BFBS is "meh", but I still love the team... I find it baffling that people actually post that they LIKE that Wild Wing third on here. Obviously it's just for attention.

I just wanted to end this by saying I share your views on this discussion 100% sir.

Cheers.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

john_wall.jpg

wall.jpg

I always thought these look like dresses. There's no "flow" to them... an ultra-tight cut-off tee matched with super baggy shorts? This actually represents everything that is wrong with modern day basketball uniforms.

But I suppose this is why I love this website.. so many differing views on unis and logos that are allowed to come together and voice their opinions. It's a beautiful thing (Even if those unis aren't!)

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

7crnwjghkt5sg6rp9zgxkzco7.gifu4ay5i0ft6rz7w7fhebh96fe8.gif

If anyone has ever wished I'd never joined this forum, you can blame these right here :D They made me a Bucks fan before I was even able to comprehend that they were my hometown team and that's why they were on TV so much. I actually remember being disappointed the first time I turned on a basketball game and discovered that not every game featured a team with a green rainbow on their jerseys.

Other favorites:

97p93o6v3jdfrdoup3rdxhqt6.gifighkqdigf0vglskm379fst8bl.gif

buq461iin2fv8tde1ez06kk9x.gif

200803122235813526490-p2.jpeg

Archived