MLB Postseason and World Series thread

infrared41

EDIT: one should never tuck one's jersey into one's jeans. Never.

homer-hankies.jpg

Usually I'm not much of a stickler when it comes to "the rules of fashion" (or whatever it's called) but in this case I wholeheartedly agree.

Minneapolis in the late '80s/early '90s probably didn't have rules of fashion.

EDIT: oh god what if that was taken in the 2002 postseason

The fashion with the woman with the "Sally Jessy Raphael" glasses and subsequent sweatshirt should indicate that it was a 90's photo. I really hope.

We do not see how the men's jeans are worn though. I think there was a lot of acid washed at that game though.

I think thats from the 1991 World Series.

I would certainly hope that the dome would have been packed for the World Series - looks like a ton of empty seats there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, but at least baseball players themselves tuck their jerseys into their pants. When I worked at Nationwide Arena I would see at least 1 in 10 guys with their hockey jerseys tucked into their blue jeans. That is the most egregious violation of the don't tuck in your jersey rule.

Looks like the Twins are donezy.

PvO6ZWJ.png

But didn't the two greatest hockey players of all times (Wanye Gretzky and Rod Brind'Amour) tuck... sort of?

You gonna tell this guy he can't tuck? Neither am I.

BrindAmour1.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Great regular season. Postseason? Not so much. Before the Twins can be legit contenders, they need a #1 pitcher. Right now, they have a bunch of decent pitchers who allow 3-6 runs per game. That's not good enough to beat the Yankees in the playoffs. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to have Morneau for the whole year. I blame John McDonald of the Blue Jays for the Twins postseason loss. :flagcanada:

On 10/10/2010 at 9:58 PM, BringBackTheVet said:
On 10/10/2010 at 7:25 PM, lordsketor said:
On 10/9/2010 at 6:16 PM, dfwabel said:
On 10/9/2010 at 6:07 PM, the admiral said:
On 10/9/2010 at 9:34 AM, infrared41 said:
On 10/9/2010 at 9:11 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

EDIT: one should never tuck one's jersey into one's jeans. Never.

Usually I'm not much of a stickler when it comes to "the rules of fashion" (or whatever it's called) but in this case I wholeheartedly agree.

Minneapolis in the late '80s/early '90s probably didn't have rules of fashion.

EDIT: oh god what if that was taken in the 2002 postseason

The fashion with the woman with the "Sally Jessy Raphael" glasses and subsequent sweatshirt should indicate that it was a 90's photo. I really hope.

We do not see how the men's jeans are worn though. I think there was a lot of acid washed at that game though.

I think thats from the 1991 World Series.

I would certainly hope that the dome would have been packed for the World Series - looks like a ton of empty seats there.

I don't think there has ever been a postseason game at the dome that was not sold out. Therefore, I really don't know when that photo was taken. Perhaps some fans showing weird amounts of enthusiasm during BP or after a game? Maybe a mid-week game down the stretch in September of 1991?

I don't think it was the 2000s. If you look at the outfield wall, you'll see a Cleveland logo and an Orioles logo. The dome used to divide the logos by division and use them, left to right, as standings. So this must have been before the realignment that separated Cleveland and the Orioles.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I agree, but at least baseball players themselves tuck their jerseys into their pants. When I worked at Nationwide Arena I would see at least 1 in 10 guys with their hockey jerseys tucked into their blue jeans. That is the most egregious violation of the don't tuck in your jersey rule.

Officially maybe but we all knew they were done in the 7th inning of game one.

BB52Big.jpg

Great regular season. Postseason? Not so much. Before the Twins can be legit contenders, they need a #1 pitcher. Right now, they have a bunch of decent pitchers who allow 3-6 runs per game. That's not good enough to beat the Yankees in the playoffs. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to have Morneau for the whole year. I blame John McDonald of the Blue Jays for the Twins postseason loss. :flagcanada:

This series was over before it started. The Yanks are in their heads, plain and simple and I don't see what will change that. I suppose if they can go take at least 4 of 7 next regular season, that could help. But I don't think the players really believe they can play with them.

And it does not look pretty for next year. Hardy and Hudson are free agents. As is 40 yr. old Thome, who'll get a raise (I'd like him back to hit HR 600). I agree that they need a front line pitcher to go with their array of #3 starters. I think they need a closer, because Capps did not really get it done. I don't think they'll re-sign both middle infielders. They also need some depth. There was not a single bat to bring off the bench in this postseason. And finally, they need to fill 1st base. Morneau's career is over. Three months on the sideline with headaches? He should retire...his future quality of life is already in jeopardy.

I think the Twins are looking at a break, of at least a couple of years, from Yankee postseason drubbings.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

This series was over before it started. The Yanks are in their heads, plain and simple and I don't see what will change that. I suppose if they can go take at least 4 of 7 next regular season, that could help. But I don't think the players really believe they can play with them.

And it does not look pretty for next year. Hardy and Hudson are free agents. As is 40 yr. old Thome, who'll get a raise (I'd like him back to hit HR 600). I agree that they need a front line pitcher to go with their array of #3 starters. I think they need a closer, because Capps did not really get it done. I don't think they'll re-sign both middle infielders. They also need some depth. There was not a single bat to bring off the bench in this postseason. And finally, they need to fill 1st base. Morneau's career is over. Three months on the sideline with headaches? He should retire...his future quality of life is already in jeopardy.

I think the Twins are looking at a break, of at least a couple of years, from Yankee postseason drubbings.

Isn't Nathan returning next year?

It really pains me that someone finally mentioned the possibility of Morneau retiring. But it really is a strong possiblity. He has gotten sidelined for the remainder of the past two seasons. What's to say he won't get injured again? Next time he gets a significant injury, he's done. It brings a lump to my throat because Morneau is such a popular player in Minnesota. I'd hate to see him leave.

But, come on. Why do the Twins play the freaking Yankees every year? In 2009, the Twins deserved it because they had the worst record for a playoff team and the Yankees had the best. This year, the Twins improve by 6 or 7 wins, and the Yankees lose just enough games to get an ALDS date with Minnesota. It's rigged! Conspiracy is afoot! :wacko:

EDIT - I think at least half the bullpen is hitting free-agency next year. I saw Jesse Crain, Matt Guerrier, and 2 or 3 more listed in the free-agent 2011 list on mlbtraderumors.com. If true, that's bad. Really bad.

Enough negativity already, the Twins organization knows how to run their team just fine, aside from when it comes to playing the Yanks. By the time March rolls around they'll be frontrunners for the division once again. Nothing to worry about.

Edit - Lol at the serious breakdown of the homer hanky-waving picture, it was obviously just a yoke.

But there comes a time when you want to be more than division champions / playoff participant.

Exactly. I love that the Twins are division championship contenders nearly every year. But after the, I don't know, 4th division championship, you kind of expect them to win a series in the playoffs. I know that I'm not satisfied with just a division championship. Coming into the postseason, I expected at least one series win. The Twins didn't even win one game!

Sure, teams like the Royals and Pirates would just be happy to be there. But teams that are consistent winners long for more than just a playoff spot.

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When life consistently gives you lemons, you make a World Series championship. :therock:

Yeah, and you know what, the Twins are sick of continually not making a World Series out of their lemons. (First time that's ever been said, by the way.)

So what did they do? Went out and got Hardy, Hudson, Thome, and a bunch of other dudes to try and get that World Series. What I don't think most fans realize is how hard it is to put together and coach a team that wins championships, and trust me, the Twins aren't trying as hard as they can to win division titles, they're trying as hard as they can to win World Series'.

We've been spoiled with all the recent playoff trips, a title will come, just be patient. Ask any Red Sox fan.

The Yankees were and have been better. Sure it'd be nice if we could have pulled an upset one of the 4 or 5 times we've played them over the past decade, but they aren't the class of the league for no reason. If you're going to lose, might as well lose to the best.

That said, the Morneau rumors are quite troubling. I think he'll be back, but yes, he's one fastball up away from being done. Too bad. He's probably the Twins best player.

But there comes a time when you want to be more than division champions / playoff participant.

Exactly. I love that the Twins are division championship contenders nearly every year. But after the, I don't know, 4th division championship, you kind of expect them to win a series in the playoffs. I know that I'm not satisfied with just a division championship. Coming into the postseason, I expected at least one series win. The Twins didn't even win one game!

Sure, teams like the Royals and Pirates would just be happy to be there. But teams that are consistent winners long for more than just a playoff spot.

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When life consistently gives you lemons, you make a World Series championship. :therock:

I pretty much got bashed for expressing the same views about the Eagles. But yeah, after a while, watching your team fail in the playoffs gets really old.

Yeah, and you know what, the Twins are sick of continually not making a World Series out of their lemons. (First time that's ever been said, by the way.)

So what did they do? Went out and got Hardy, Hudson, Thome, and a bunch of other dudes to try and get that World Series. What I don't think most fans realize is how hard it is to put together and coach a team that wins championships, and trust me, the Twins aren't trying as hard as they can to win division titles, they're trying as hard as they can to win World Series'.

We've been spoiled with all the recent playoff trips, a title will come, just be patient. Ask any Red Sox fan.

Or ask an Eagles fan. Sometimes a major shake up is needed, even if the team is "close". New manager maybe? How many times to you see seemingly great coaches/managers who just can't get their clubs over the hump. Then some chump (*cough Gruden cough*) comes in and gets it done with their teams.

I pretty much got bashed for expressing the same views about the Eagles. But yeah, after a while, watching your team fail in the playoffs gets really old.

Or ask an Eagles fan. Sometimes a major shake up is needed, even if the team is "close". New manager maybe? How many times to you see seemingly great coaches/managers who just can't get their clubs over the hump. Then some chump (*cough Gruden cough*) comes in and gets it done with their teams.

Based on how you feel about Terry Francona, I would have bet my sould that you'd have referenced him.

Based on how you feel about Terry Francona, I would have bet my sould that you'd have referenced him.

I don't even know where Francona (AKA Curt Schilling's F-doll) fits in here - I wouldn't disrespect honest, hard-working chumps by grouping him into that category. I'm not sure what category is lower than "chump", but whatever it is, Francona is the archetype.

On 10/10/2010 at 9:30 AM, Cujo said:
On 10/10/2010 at 9:44 PM, NJTank said:
On 10/10/2010 at 9:37 PM, Cujo said:

Classic

At least I think there's golf in Minnesota this time of year.... :rolleyes:

One year ago today, we had snow. But yesterday the high was about 85. No rhyme or reason. That's OK, the players will all go to a better climate...

POTD (Shared)

The pain still lingers, but it was something I had to do. I broke up with my girlfriend last night. We had been going for out a few months, and always enjoyed watching baseball together, no matter who was playing. We would listen to the dulcet tones of Vin Scully calling the Dodgers lose, and delve into the occasional Angel game one channel up. She'd count the days down with me to when a Giants game would be nationally televised, so I could be happy. Oddly, she never mentioned which team she grew up rooting for, she always just pulled for my team like a good, submissive woman. Then, the unthinkable happened.

She called me up yesterday, said "You know what, I think I'm a Braves fan." I said, "You know what, I don't think this is going to work out."

Sorry, babe. C'mon, Sanchez!

Archived