MLB Postseason and World Series thread

infrared41

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reasons to be pessimistic for Reds fans: the Reds are 2-5 against the Phillies this year. The Phillies starting rotation is Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, and Cole Hamels. Their lineup is stacked. They have the best second half record in major league baseball and they're playoff tested.

Reasons to be optimistic for Reds fans: the 2-5 record against the Phillies is very misleading. 4 of those losses came in the 4 game sweep the Reds suffered in Philadelphia. Those 4 wins by the Phillies came on a combined 5 runs. 3 of them were by one run. 3 of them happened in extra innings. The endings were all equally ridiculous. In game 1 there was a 12th inning walkoff home run. In game 2 they blew a 6 run lead which ended with a Ryan Howard 10th inning walk off shot. In game 3 Travis Wood took a perfect game into the 9th, had it ruined and then Jimmy Rollins hit a walk off single in the 11th. In game 4 the Reds lost to Cole Hamels 1-0. Based on the law of averages it's probably safe to assume that every bounce and bit of luck won't fall in one team's direction like it did in that series in July. Point being, those 4 losses could easily have been 4 wins.

Other reasons to be optimistic: The Reds have actually beaten Roy Halladay this season. Also, before this year Roy Oswalt owned the Cincinnati Reds, but as an Astro this season the Reds gave him two losses. The Reds lineup isn't too shabby itself and they're the best defensive team in the National League.

I'm not expecting the Reds to beat the Phillies here, but it isn't absurd to believe that the Reds could win this series. I'm just hoping we don't get swept.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If the Rays' offense can get hot, I think they can be dangerous. BJ Upton, and Matt Garza need to go back to 2008 form. While Carlos Pena just needs to get some hits.

But I do like the match ups in the AL. The Rays went like 3-1 last meeting in Minnesota, THey swept the Rangers at home in the last series they played, and took 4 of 7 from New York in the past 3 weeks.

Both the Twins and Yankees pissed it away in the last week so I really don't like either but one of them will go on through to the ALCS. Rangers I forgot even existed they clinched so early.

Phillies over Reds in 4

Giants over Braves in 5

Twins over Yankees in 5

Rays over Rangers in 3

Phillies over Giants in 6

Twins over Rays in 7

Twins over Phillies in 7

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

This is what I am hoping for:

Phillies over Reds in 5

Braves over Giants in 3

Twins over Yankees in 3

Rays over Rangers in 4

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES:

Braves over Phillies in 6

Twins over Rays in 6

WORLD SERIES:

Braves over Twins in 7

GO BRAVES!

Phillies over Reds

Atlana over Giants

Yankees over Twins

Rays over Rangers

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES:

Phillies over Atlanta

Rays over Yankees

WORLD SERIES:

Phillies over Rays

-----

As a Twins fan, I just don't see this being any different than always. The Twins will be the last AL team to win at New Yankee Stadium by a few years.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Yankees are pretty much the worst possible first-round opponent for the Twins. They've had Minny's number for the past several postseasons in which they've met, and the Twins could only manage a couple of wins against them in the last two regular seasons as well.

I also think we're looking at an '08 WS rematch, and with the same result.

CCSLC signature.png

Texas has been my sleeper pick since all-star break, sooo....

ALDS

Texas 3, Tampa Bay 2

NY Yankees 3, Minnesota 1

NLDS

Philadelphia 3, Cincinnati 2 (in one HECK of a series BTW)

San Francisco 3, Atlanta 2

ALCS

Texas 4, NY Yankees 2

NLCS

Philadelphia 4, San Francisco 1

2010 World Series

Texas 4, Philadelphia 3

MVP: Cliff Lee, P, Texas

Cliff Lee gets the MVP against his former team.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I would love to see a Giants/Reds-Anybody but the Yankees World Series, but I think we're gonna see either a 2008 or 2009 rematch. The Yanks have the Twins number, the Rays have been real good all year, plus the Phillies are still a bit of a jump ahead of the rest of the NL.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I'm just hoping we don't get swept.

You're sounding like 2009 with the Jackets again. :P

That said, here's my predictions:

ALDS: Tampa Bay 3-0 Texas, New York 3-1 Minnesota

NLDS: Philadelphia 3-1 Cincinnati, San Francisco 3-0 Atlanta

ALCS: Tampa Bay over New York, 4 to 2

NLCS: Philadelphia over San Francisco, 4 to 1

World Series: Tampa Bay over Philadelphia, 4 to 2

6fQjS3M.png

It will take every game possible but I think the Reds could actually win this. I think they might be the team that comes out of nowhere.

ALDS

Twins over Yankees in 5

Rays over Rangers in 4

NLDS

Reds over Phillies in 5

Giants over Braves in 3

ALCS

Rays over Twins in 6

NLCS

Reds over Giants in 7

WS

Reds over Rays in 7

Signature intentionally left blank

ALDS

Tampa Bay over Texas

Minnesota over New York

NLDS

Philadelphia over Cincinnati

San Francisco over Atlanta

ALCS

Tampa Bay over Minnesota

NLCS

Philadelphia over San Francisco

WS

Philadelphia over Tampa Bay

This is what my head says, but as my avatar indicates my heart will be rooting for the Reds.

Archived