Penguins Winter Classic Jersey

Luigi74

I love the vintage Penguin with a scarf.

Not sure why they've been forcing light blue lately, but now Navy blue too? Too much. They should be black and yellow/gold...but I understand the blue for the "winter" tie-in I suppose.

87Redskins.png

It's perfect for what it is. But I hope they don't force it into being an alternate beyond this game.

The one thing I don't like is the drop shadow on the numbers. I'm not sure if they ever used a rounded font and drop-shadows at the same time, but in this case it just doesn't seem to be good execution. I'd have preferred block with drop-shadows or rounded without.

I don't think they'll ever top their winter classic sweaters from a few years ago, but these are pretty nice. Wish the winter classic patch wasn't so monstrous, kind of takes away from it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I would've preferred if they went with the uniforms from the 91/92 cup winning teams. Those teams were at least good. They're playing as the home team in the house of the Pittsburgh Steelers and they aren't going to wear black and yellow. I hate Pittsburgh and every single one of their teams, but that doesn't seem right.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The one thing I don't like is the drop shadow on the numbers. I'm not sure if they ever used a rounded font and drop-shadows at the same time, but in this case it just doesn't seem to be good execution. I'd have preferred block with drop-shadows or rounded without.

They did, for their first jerseys in '67-'68. But they didn't use that font. Much like the sleeve stripes, the numbers on the actual jerseys this Winter Classic is supposedly based on were thinner and looked better.

Penguins01.png

This jersey seems to be using the numbers from the ill-fated/repurposed to Winnipeg '77 Rangers design, or some similar take on Helvetica Bold.

Rangers24.png

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Why Penguins, why? You're not a ten year old expansion team that has to resort to fauxbacks to create a "vintage" sweater. Your franchise history is full of potential designs to use for a Winter Classic game. Why not just go with the original Penguins sweaters with the light blue base and the diagonal script? Or go with the 1977-80 look if you want a dark blue sweater? Fauxbacks just don't work when the team wearing them has actual throwbacks to choose from.

I can't tell for certain, but do the scarf and stick in the logo have hints of vegas gold? Overall I am lukewarm to these. Would have prefered a 80's gold throwback.

You and me both.

I honestly hate the blue throwbacks, the last ones and these.

If they are going to use a throwback, they should use the gold or regular black/gold we used to have.

But they won't do that, because those jerseys are already availible to buy, they have to come up with something not for sale for make more money.

2ly2w09.jpg

I don't like it. The striping and the Navy blue don't work for some reason. i wish they had used the light blue again. But that "scarf" logo is fantastic.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

I'll post this here too since it's getting discussed in both threads (and I like specific threads like this better.)

malkin-wc-jersey1.jpg

They seem to look better on the player than hanging up. That said, the stripes could stand to be thinner (or knock off one or two of them), and they should've probably used a different font all around. But really, as far as fauxbacks go, this isn't all that bad. When I first saw mockups like this I hated it too, but they've grown on me. My distaste comes in the wasted potential they had with the many other actual jerseys the penguins have worn.

I like the stripes. They're different and the thin yellow stripes provide just the right amount of the color without being obnoxious. It's still a navy / light blue jersey with yellow trim, as opposed to a navy / light blue / yellow jersey.

I also like the pants stripes, though the yellow should probably be thinner.

What I don't like is that the crest has none of the colors of the rest of the jersey. The black clashes with the navy, the "athletic gold" clashes with the pale yellow, and there's no light blue. Since it's a "faux back", they could have taken some liberties and modified it a bit to make it match (obviously the actual bird should remain black though.) For a one-off that's not billed as an actual "throwback", I like it a lot.

I'll agree that they had better ideas to work with - any of the diagonally-lettered jerseys would have been great - even the "Snoop Dog" black one (which I think they are damn fools for ever getting rid of.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the unis are nice. Old school, very cool stripes. But I also concur, I would have liked to see the black-n-gold. Still nice jerseys.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Normally I don't mind fauxbacks, but I think it's kind of stupid when an entirely new uniform is created with an amalgam of elements from a team's identity that didn't coexist in the first place. The Penguins should have just worn these beauties:

t_27922_03.jpg

I don't like the uni, by the way. It feels forced.

330zl3b.png

These are just a lame $ grab. Following the Steelers' lead with "fauxbacks." The Pens were "rumored" to dump the powder blues for a navy jersey. This must have been it. They sold that vintage logo in navy shirts/hoodies all of last year. It must have "tested" well enough to warrant a sweater now, but why not still cash grab the powder blues too?

They were blue for 13 (putrid) years. 1967-1980

They were black and gold for 30 years. 1980-present.

I guess the only way to get the yellow gold back is in little bunches on blue jersies. :(

KISSwall09.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I bumped this old topic because I was seeing if anyone had a few answers to some questions...

Well, I was looking at an authentic on NHL Shop. They have you customize it yourself for an extra $80. Usually they have "pre-made" customized jerseys (Fleury, Crosby, Malkin, etc). Do you think they will release some already customized for a cheaper price? Do you think these will become the Penguins' thirds (because they are dumping the powder blues) or will these be worn for just the three or four games this season? This jersey approaches near $450 so I was just seeing if it's worth it to buy a limited jersey or not.

Thanks

EDIT: I went for it. Today only is free customization ($80 value) and I used the code HrC52 at checkout for an additional 10% off. It came to $323.28. That included shipping and I think they forgot to charge me PA sales tax...way better than the $458 it was adding up to yesterday.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived