Yankee Stadium ready for football...

AJM

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nooooooooo...! Although I "hate" the Yankees, I respect their rich history and the new stadium of theirs is marvelous... how dare they spoil it with football?

But the pics are sort of awesome. Kind of Twilight Zone. ;)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Nooooooooo...! Although I "hate" the Yankees, I respect their rich history and the new stadium of theirs is marvelous... how dare they spoil it with football?

Well, the New York Football Giants played there until 1973 (or 75?), when Giants Stadium opened.

Someone tell the geniuses at AT&T Park this is how you lay out a football field with the teams across from each other.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Well, the New York Football Giants played there until 1973 (or 75?), when Giants Stadium opened.

Someone tell the geniuses at AT&T Park this is how you lay out a football field with the teams across from each other.

AT&T Park is different because (IIRC) it doesn't have enough room to lay out like this and it was actually built to accommodate the risers they stick in left field for football games.

I do agree that this is preferable to having it run along one of the foul lines. I remember coming home with a stiff neck from a Packers game at County Stadium where I sat in the left field bleachers.

could this be done at miller park for a wisconsin or green bay game?

It can basically be done at any baseball stadium. Baseball fields, in general, are large enough dimensionally to have the ability to fit a football field within its confines. Other factors, however, come into place. Some major league teams wish to prevent the destruction of their grass. Additionally, some football teams aren't popular enough to draw a crowd of 40,000-50,000. Of course, certain stadiums don't have enough properly-angled seats to allow for fans to watch the game in an at least semi-comfortable fashion.

Possible stadiums that could host a football game:

-Miller Park (There are plenty of properly-angled seats, including the left-field bleachers and seats along the third-base line. Also, it is climate controlled.)

-Yankee Stadium (of course, the Army vs. ND game)

-Target Field (I wish..)

It could, but both of them play in stadiums that have almost twice the capacity of Miller Park and there's no way they'd give up that much revenue. There were rumors that the Packers would move their annual scrimmage to Miller Park when it first opened up, but obviously that never actually happened.

I also heard some rumors a couple months back that the UFL might put a team at Miller Park, but nothing since then. It'd be smart of them to do it... especially if there's no Packers next year.

Giants played in the old old Stadium until '73 when it closed for renovations and they were in the process of building Giants Stadium (I believe the Giants played a year at Yale and a year at Shea in between).

Of course the old old stadium was very different. The dimensions were so big that there was no problem fitting in a football field. You can see here how much room they had (not the angle of the baseball diamond).

yankee_stadium_football.jpeg

It can basically be done at any baseball stadium. Baseball fields, in general, are large enough dimensionally to have the ability to fit a football field within its confines. Other factors, however, come into place. Some major league teams wish to prevent the destruction of their grass. Additionally, some football teams aren't popular enough to draw a crowd of 40,000-50,000. Of course, certain stadiums don't have enough properly-angled seats to allow for fans to watch the game in an at least semi-comfortable fashion.

-Miller Park (There are plenty of properly-angled seats, including the left-field bleachers and seats along the third-base line. Also, it is climate controlled.)

-Target Field (I wish..)

you forgot Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum :)

This is how old Cleveland Municiple Stadium used to be layd out. "The Stadium" as it was called in Cleveland, was home to both the Indians and the Browns. Most of the sideline seats were very very far from the action, similar to the Yankee Stadium set.

-Target Field (I wish..)

you forgot Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum :)

There's Rogers Centre, Wrigley Field is hosting a Northwestern/Illinois game later this month. I was thinking that Fenway should host a football game again.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived