Big Ten to unveil new logo today at 12pm EST

BroadSt_Bully

I'm not feeling the logo at all. It just doesn't look like a sports logo. I don't even like the B10 portion of the logo, they definately missed an opportunity here. And the division names are beyond stupid. I already forgot what the name of the division that Illinois is in.

And I posted the article on the designing of the previous Big Ten logo, but it looks like that article isn't there anymore.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The designer of the last logo gave them versions numbering up somewhere near 16. Should have used one of those.

Not only that, the Big Ten required them to submit designs for up to 16.

Jim Delany

The Legends, not too hard in that we have 215 College Football Hall of Fame members, we have 15 Heisman Trophy winners," commissioner Jim Delany said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press. "We thought it made perfect sense to recognize the iconic and the legendary through the naming of the division in that regard. ... We've had plenty of leaders in the conference, that's for sure, but the emphasis here is to recognize the mission of using intercollegiate athletics and higher education to build future leaders."

...or just throwing :censored: at the wall, and seeing what sticks.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The designer of the last logo gave them versions numbering up somewhere near 16. Should have used one of those.

Except that truth be told, the now former BigTen logo really didn't look very nice. The 11 was really, really cool. But the small caps treatment of a plain block typeface? Uninspiring. The coolness of the 11 gave it a pass and it stood as a pretty good logo, but I'm in no way sad to see that style left behind.

Crap like this, as shallow as it seems, is pushing me further and further from caring about college sports. I know it's just logos etc, but it hurts to know that this is the best they could do and we just have to take it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That is the most singularly uninspiring collection of visual dreck I've ever seen a major athletic conference try to foist upon the public as an identity system. I mean, it is mind-numbingly... meh.

As for the division names, they sound like the world's most boring role-playing game. "Legends and Leaders... a game of military strategy and political policy, from TSR, Inc."

There is NOTHING about that "brand" that even remotely makes me think of the midwest, much less champions or prestige. That makes me think of the freakin' Pacific Ocean before it makes me think of the nation's heartland--where most of these member institutions are located. I mean...could they really not decide on a better color?

On its own merits, it's not necessarily a bad design-after all, the clever use of positive/negative speace does make for some nice visual interest (and it also works in black-and-white, which is a pretty good litmus test for logo versatility), and the "squint-your-eyes-to-see-the-B10" thing is a nice touch--but that, as a final product = FAIL for one of the premier collegiate athletic alliances.

I'm not even going into the whole "Legends" and "Leaders" thing...it's apparent to me somebody thought WAY TOO DEEP into this. What would have been wrong geographical alignment? No one said it had to be perfect (hell, look at the NFL--ain't a person on the planet that really believes Indianapolis is in the South), just close to sensible. This...ain't it.

/price is right fail horn

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That is the most singularly uninspiring collection of visual dreck I've ever seen a major athletic conference try to foist upon the public as an identity system. I mean, it is mind-numbingly... meh.

As for the division names, they sound like the world's most boring role-playing game. "Legends and Leaders... a game of military strategy and political policy, from TSR, Inc."

*curses traitorous dice*

Here's the graphics from their website:

logo-stacked.jpg

ZOMG THE G LOOKS LIKE A 6!

I'm actually surprised. Just about every other place has hit on it, but not here. Even ESTONE.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This whole Big Ten expansion has been a joke from the get-go. While getting Nebraska was a win, everything else had been a wreck. The random division breakdown. The boring new logo. The gimmicky division nicknames. If you want to see how to do a conference re-brand the right way, look no further than the Pac-12. Geographical divisions. No funny division names. A stellar logo. The Big Ten dropped the ball all over the place on this one.

The Division breakdowns were to save the Michigan and Ohio State rivalry and give potential for them to meet in the Championship. That's hardly dropping the ball. But, that was about the only thing they didn't drop the ball with. Division names and logo are a joke.

I read that the person who designed the '11' Big Ten logo... he/she was required to submit designs for 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16. I have a hard time believe the same guy who made the great '11' logo made this one too.

I know this division thing is just a gimmick, but how the F@#% can you separate Michigan and Ohio State?

They separate Michigan and Ohio State to be smart, and to market well. Michigan and Ohio State will still play every year - Smart. Michigan and Ohio State now have the opportunity to meet in the conference championship game, as well - Very smart.

How is it smart to keep Michigan vs. OSU when...if that's the final game of the year (as tradition dictates) AND the title game, won't it just turn into a two game, two week series?

This whole Big Ten expansion has been a joke from the get-go. While getting Nebraska was a win, everything else had been a wreck. The random division breakdown. The boring new logo. The gimmicky division nicknames. If you want to see how to do a conference re-brand the right way, look no further than the Pac-12. Geographical divisions. No funny division names. A stellar logo. The Big Ten dropped the ball all over the place on this one.

The Division breakdowns were to save the Michigan and Ohio State rivalry and give potential for them to meet in the Championship. That's hardly dropping the ball. But, that was about the only thing they didn't drop the ball with. Division names and logo are a joke.

I read that the person who designed the '11' Big Ten logo... he/she was required to submit designs for 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16. I have a hard time believe the same guy who made the great '11' logo made this one too.

I know this division thing is just a gimmick, but how the F@#% can you separate Michigan and Ohio State?

They separate Michigan and Ohio State to be smart, and to market well. Michigan and Ohio State will still play every year - Smart. Michigan and Ohio State now have the opportunity to meet in the conference championship game, as well - Very smart.

How is it smart to keep Michigan vs. OSU when...if that's the final game of the year (as tradition dictates) AND the title game, won't it just turn into a two game, two week series?

What's it called when a question answers itself?

Yes... but then you add the potential for a revenge game. You have the set up for Michigan and Ohio State meeting in the official Championship game to add to the long running history of the rivalry.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Overall, it's not a terrible logo but it definitely doesn't have any cool factors or any real creative factors. It looks fine by itself, but I think the moment it is put on any type of apparel, it will look bad. So please B1G, do not starting putting that thing on the uniforms!!!

The person who made the '11' Big Ten logo didn't have anything to do with the logo they unveiled today. He did say he made variations of that same logo for 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16. He said he gave the Big Ten the designs for the other numbers when he submitted the '11' logo. So, the Big Ten didn't have to pay a design firm and could have updated the current logo to update the hidden number to '12' for free .

Wow. It does open the door to further expansion, but meh-tastic.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Archived