Big Ten to unveil new logo today at 12pm EST

BroadSt_Bully

74599_10150150116973625_155034533624_8116839_3965520_n.jpg

new logo with division names and teams

How does Pentagram get away with this? I'm sure as heck that Paula Scher (design goddess) had nothing to do with this project.

How much does Pentagram get paid for producing this crud?

Failure galore! What a waste! Why change at all?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why in the world do they still call a division with twelve teams the Big Ten? Traditional or not, it sounds awfully stupid.

What are they gonna call it, the Big 12?

I think they should formalize the divisions more...something like 'Big North', 'Big East', 'Big South', and 'Big West' be your mega conferences

This whole Big Ten expansion has been a joke from the get-go. While getting Nebraska was a win, everything else had been a wreck. The random division breakdown. The boring new logo. The gimmicky division nicknames. If you want to see how to do a conference re-brand the right way, look no further than the Pac-12. Geographical divisions. No funny division names. A stellar logo. The Big Ten dropped the ball all over the place on this one.

6uXNWAo.png

Why in the world do they still call a division with twelve teams the Big Ten? Traditional or not, it sounds awfully stupid.

I actually agree. No conference should use numbers anymore as teams keep on shuffling around...Why would they keep a name that is "traditional" when they :censored: on tradition any other change they get? This was a golden opportunity to name it the "Big Midwest" or something that will continue to ring true regardless of number of teams (or maybe not, considering they were considering Texas").

Co-signed.

Also, can we try to NOT use "epic" in such a flippant fashion. I hate that it's losing its true meaning, whereas it should be reserved for truly influential events in human history/nature...

This whole Big Ten expansion has been a joke from the get-go. While getting Nebraska was a win, everything else had been a wreck. The random division breakdown. The boring new logo. The gimmicky division nicknames. If you want to see how to do a conference re-brand the right way, look no further than the Pac-12. Geographical divisions. No funny division names. A stellar logo. The Big Ten dropped the ball all over the place on this one.

6uXNWAo.png

I thought the Lakes and Planes was the best name. Hell, even X and O was better than Legends and Leaders. I can't believe anyone thought this was good marketing.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The Division breakdowns were to save the Michigan and Ohio State rivalry and give potential for them to meet in the Championship. That's hardly dropping the ball. But, that was about the only thing they didn't drop the ball with. Division names and logo are a joke.

I read that the person who designed the '11' Big Ten logo... he/she was required to submit designs for 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16. I have a hard time believe the same guy who made the great '11' logo made this one too.

I know this division thing is just a gimmick, but how the F@#% can you separate Michigan and Ohio State?

They separate Michigan and Ohio State to be smart, and to market well. Michigan and Ohio State will still play every year - Smart. Michigan and Ohio State now have the opportunity to meet in the conference championship game, as well - Very smart.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The elusive separated-by-three-posts double post.

I actually agree. No conference should use numbers anymore as teams keep on shuffling around...Why would they keep a name that is "traditional" when they :censored: on tradition any other change they get? This was a golden opportunity to name it the "Big Midwest" or something that will continue to ring true regardless of number of teams (or maybe not, considering they were considering Texas").

Co-signed.

Also, can we try to NOT use "epic" in such a flippant fashion. I hate that it's losing its true meaning, whereas it should be reserved for truly influential events in human history/nature...

I don't have an issue with keeping the Big Ten moniker since that name has incredible "brand awareness" in the American sporting landscape. It's difficult to cast that aside in the name of something that sounds like it belongs to a mid-major league. Now I would have used "branding" more than tradition as justification for keeping the name, so you have a point there.

I'd also suggest that if the league is saying damn the math, they might as well say damn the geography and use North/South for division names.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's the graphic from their website:

6049510.jpeg

Where the (*^%(*@$* is the hidden 2? I see the 1... but not the 2.

It's not there.

Don't hurt yourself.

The "G" is supposed to look like a zero, so it forms a "10"

They're playing off the inaccurate name, moreso than the number of teams.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived