Big Ten to unveil new logo today at 12pm EST

BroadSt_Bully

If the 1 was an I (just like the O is a G), the logo wouldn't hurt my eyes. But as it stands I hate it. I agree with the sentiment that hiding a twelve in there and keeping the name 'Big Ten' would be stupid. They're too big to be the big 10 and hiding a 12 just means hiding bigger numbers later. Stars representing the number of teams would be better IMO.

And the division names are an embarrassment.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would they leave Michigan out of the "Leaders" division? It's right in the fight song, you idiots. Terrible package all the way around. Bland logo, yawn colors, stupid names. Gah.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

New BigTen Logo marks: 7 out of 10. They're not horrible, and they follow a clean, modern look that should be visually appealing on the field, court, etc.

New BigTen Trophies: 10 out of 10. The league shines here, honoring it's Legends and Leaders with several aptly named trophies. I posted it elsewhere, but the Griese-Brees Trophy is already a classic. Just say it out loud. LMAO.

New BigTen Divisional Names: 1 out of 10. They got a point only because these names are MARGINALLY better than East/West, which would be geographically incorrect. What happened to "stars" and "stripes?" Or "freedom" and "liberty?" There were about two hundred better names. This sucks.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

74599_10150150116973625_155034533624_8116839_3965520_n.jpg

new logo with division names and teams

How does Pentagram get away with this? I'm sure as heck that Paula Scher (design goddess) had nothing to do with this project.

How much does Pentagram get paid for producing this crud?

Failure galore! What a waste! Why change at all?

Please stop yelling.

New BigTen Logo marks: 7 out of 10. They're not horrible, and they follow a clean, modern look that should be visually appealing on the field, court, etc.

New BigTen Trophies: 10 out of 10. The league shines here, honoring it's Legends and Leaders with several aptly named trophies. I posted it elsewhere, but the Griese-Brees Trophy is already a classic. Just say it out loud. LMAO.

New BigTen Divisional Names: 1 out of 10. They got a point only because these names are MARGINALLY better than East/West, which would be geographically incorrect. What happened to "stars" and "stripes?" Or "freedom" and "liberty?" There were about two hundred better names. This sucks.

Stars and stripes and freedom and liberty are just as stupidly meaningless and interchangeable as leaders and legends. As for geography, as I went to the trouble of pointing out, it doesn't matter to the SEC or the Pac 10, why should it to the Big Ten? Yes Wisconsin would be in the goddamn East/South/Southeast Division-it doesn't matter and they get to annually drop 70+ on Indiana, deal with it. Honestly, it's not that hard.

Shoot the Michiganders are already trying to start a movement to refer to the divisions as East and West regardless.

As for the individual trophies with names, I'm kind of meh, but mostly because it codifies the Conference's idea that Indiana and Minnesota are also interchangeable and Indiana gets to name the "inevitable disappointment" and "Lady Byng" trophies.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If they were going to go with non-geographical division names, I think it would have been less horribly ridiculous for them to take a cue from the NFL and MLB and go with American and National. Would have sounded less absurd than Legends and Leaders at least.

Ugh, as a probable future Big Ten student, I am not looking forward to seeing this logo all over the place.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

BTW, why would they name the QB trophy after Brees? I can think of another active former Big Ten QB who has won as many Super Bowls as Griese and Brees combined.

Just so people know, it was Pentagram (http://pentagram.com/en/) who designed the logo. I see what they're trying to do, it's a nice visual play, with the Big also reading as a B-10 and all the variations that go along with it. The type is well done, it's Vitesse from Hoefler & Frere-Jones (www.typography.com) but it's wayyy too corporate and plain. This would be good for a company but not for a major athletic conference.

Look again. It's sort of similar but all the characteristic letters are pretty significantly different, as is the general structure of the letterforms.

Ain't nothin' wrong with this....big-ten-12-logo.jpg

Except for the fact that it sucks... Nope, ain't nothin' wrong with that. I'd rather see it execute more like this if they were going to incorporate the 12 (Don't read to much into my 10-minute sketch):

bigten.png

Last but not least, let's go ahead and retire 'epic fail.' He had a good run, but his fragile bones can no longer take the punishment of being liberally tossed around countless conversations across this great country. He's thankful for all the support in these last few years, but he regrets that people ever thought he made them sound cooler than they really were.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Last but not least, let's go ahead and retire 'epic fail.' He had a good run, but his fragile bones can no longer take the punishment of being liberally tossed around countless conversations across this great country. He's thankful for all the support in these last few years, but he regrets that people ever thought he made them sound cooler than they really were.

Trying to start a movement on a backwater message board like this to retire a popular Internet catch phrase is kind of like trying to start a raging inferno on an iceberg. :P

But the new Big Ten logo still sucks @$$, and so do the division names. Someone up the thread mentioned "Hammer/Nail"... heck, those would be better division names than "Leaders" and "Legends".

CCSLC signature.png

BTW, why would they name the QB trophy after Brees? I can think of another active former Big Ten QB who has won as many Super Bowls as Griese and Brees combined.

Purdue needed the love somewhere.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Thank you for the like sentiment, Andrew. I'll ascribe my support to this yet again...

More on topic, I thought this was kinda cool and moves in the right direction for a "12" in the logo:

big1012.jpg

If this was mine, I would make the 2 simpler to make it more subtler...

sorry andrewharrington but i can't resist the urge...

EPIC FAIL!

But seriously, come on...... Their last (current) logo is clever, this is bland.

I didn't say I liked the new logo. Truth be told, I don't. I really don't think the type is all that excellent or the mark all that superbly designed as a few of the stalwarts on this board have suggested. I don't really like the concept or the direction of the consultation, and I think it could have been better crafted than it is on top of that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Here's where it falls short for me: No matter how many ways I look at it, I just can't see the 1 as an I, and I can't see the G as a zero. That's why it fails where other logos that use negative space succeed - the best have a hidden feature that people say they "cant unsee" after they've seen it. I'd be okay if I was locked in on B10 or BIG, but all I can see is B1G.

And the names are as stupid as the divisions "based on competitive balance" they slapped them on. Adding a team in the West made the division choices easy, but as others have said, they overthought everything to a fault. Shouldn't the expectations of every team in your conference be the same? Why pretend Ohio State and a Michigan team that has done nothing recently are above the rest? Weird.

Archived