Big Ten to unveil new logo today at 12pm EST

BroadSt_Bully

I guess I have some questions:

Is the sixth-place team in that division still a "Leader?" Can you be the last Leader? The worst Leader? The bottom Leader? Hey, that's a pun! :D

I guess it does take some Alpha Dog leadership to whore out a Conference home game to Washington DC for $3 million.

/Assuming Indiana will own last place for a while still.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is dead on. The B10 version of the logo seems pretty good. The B10 TEN version is pretty stupid, because there's no need to hide a 10 in the first word when TEN is the second word.

Armin Vit chimes in. He's not the end all and be all, but he usually has good reasons for things.

I think he says it better than I could.

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/ten_is_the_new_twelve.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ucllc%2Fbrandnew+%28Brand+New%29

It?s not that I?m the most perceptive or clever person in the world but, literally, the instant I saw the logo I read ?Big 10?. It wasn?t difficult or complicated. When you are within the context of collegiate sports, the word ?Big? is Gestaltingly followed by ?Ten.? The connection is immediate. And this logo achieves that by using a ?1? instead of an ?I? to create the visual bridge. For other people the visual puzzle is not so evident ? one of the comments I read somewhere asked ?why is there a 1 in the word big?? The solution here is simple, bold and clever. Perhaps not everyone?s cup of tea (or plastic cup of beer) but at least it?s a logo that demands consideration.

Where the identity feels more weak is in the full ?Big Ten? version of the logo. Once you have figured out the trick, it?s impossible not to read the above as ?Big 10 Ten.? In extended form, it loses some of its spunk and becomes more of a visual wall of impenetrable slab serifs. Not a bad thing in my book, but not entirely pleasing either.

EXACT same impression I had.

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

Fail_Winner_babyonpotty.jpg

Logo is plain - boring. I think the division names are a bold move, time will tell if they are going to catch on. But I like boldness of trying something new. You never know, it might catch on.

The BIG12TEN needed contact the small 12, I mean Big12 and swap names. :wacko:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Just want to add, complaining about Michigan/OSU not being in the same division is like complaining about the Celtics and Lakers being in different divisions. Leave the divisions for instate/geographic rivalries; leave the possibility of a Michigan / Ohio State championship game as a rivalry game rematch. The idea of a cross-division yearly rivalry game was a creative and excellent solution, IMO.

The division set up seems great; the names, of course, not so much.

I don't like the cyan in the logo. It looks weird. But they probably had to use it because if they used anything that happened to be a team color of a school without using everyone's colors, people would flip. If it had been royal blue, you'd have stupid Ohio townies howling that this is biased and unacceptable and their humanity has been diminished by this disrespect.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't like the cyan in the logo. It looks weird. But they probably had to use it because if they used anything that happened to be a team color of a school without using everyone's colors, people would flip. If it had been royal blue, you'd have stupid Ohio townies howling that this is biased and unacceptable and their humanity has been diminished by this disrespect.

I think you nailed the reason.l I also think the CYAN looks good in the B1G logo because of the black it's paired with. On it's own the cyan is a little weak.

My hope is that we won't actually see it like that all that often. It'll likely be white on courts/fields and hopefully in team colors in a number of other places.

Heard an interview with Big10 commish Jim Delaney this morning on Chicago's 670AM. He said that the Leaders/Legends names were heavily scrutinized but in the "design community" the logo was VERY WELL RECEIVED. :shocked:

What.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I actually think he's right.

Every designer I've heard from that doesn't frequent this board likes the logo. I'm one of them who loves it.

It seems as if it has missed the mark with sports fans for some reason, though. And maybe the designers on here who don't like it are identifying more as a sports fan when judging it. I dunno, just thinking.

I can say that I like it tremendously from both sides of the equation.

I actually think he's right.

Every designer I've heard from that doesn't frequent this board likes the logo. I'm one of them who loves it.

It seems as if it has missed the mark with sports fans for some reason, though. And maybe the designers on here who don't like it are identifying more as a sports fan when judging it. I dunno, just thinking.

I can say that I like it tremendously from both sides of the equation.

Then let it share the blue ribbon for design excellence with the new Gap logo and design something that isn't Avant-Garde Web 2.0 bullhooey that actually appeals to your target audience rather than your peers.

Today, we are all otaku.

Just so people know, it was Pentagram (http://pentagram.com/en/) who designed the logo. I see what they're trying to do, it's a nice visual play, with the Big also reading as a B-10 and all the variations that go along with it. The type is well done, it's Vitesse from Hoefler & Frere-Jones (www.typography.com) but it's wayyy too corporate and plain. This would be good for a company but not for a major athletic conference.

I really just started checking this out today, and my first thought was that there should be a "B10" variation of the logo. I never even noticed what you pointed out. Now that I see it, I really think it's a bad idea, because it can't stand on it's own because of the G. All it does is make you wonder why there's a 1 in B1G.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived