The Best and Worst Winter Classic Jerseys

Morgan33

No disrespect to Flyers fans but you were in the Winter Classic just 2 years ago. Lets let some other teams participate shall we.

The problem with the WC is the only teams that qualify for it are cold weather cities to host (unless neutral site is an option) and teams that will draw on national tv meaning only American teams.

This limits the NHL to:

New York Rangers

Washington Capitals

Boston Bruins

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

On an outside chance:

The California teams (as visitors)

Minnesota Wild

Colorado Avalanche

Your right about everything you said but this sure makes me care less about the Winter Classic. The best part of the event is seeing the jerseys and if its limited to just those 8 teams (you forgot Buffalo) the novelty is gonna wear off very quick. I really hope the Wild get a Winter Classic and we see a Kelly Green fauxback.

I didn't forget Buffalo. Outside of Ryan Miller they virtually no national draw. I would put them in the maybe pile with Minnesota only because its cold there, not because the NHL really wants to market the Sabres.

The fact that they hosted the first winter classic puts them in that category

I thought they hosted it because of stadium availability and not a desire to "showcase" the Sabres.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, I think this would be a terrible idea, as the Mummers parade (which lasts from the AM well into the night) uses up a ton of the police resources, closes down many streets, stresses mass transit, and is kind of a big deal) is also that day, and IMO there shouldn't be anything in the city that would compete with it. Gotta love thousands of drunk clowns (literally) with little umbrellas, and cops being asked to hold open containers so people can take pictures.

Since New Years Day 2012 falls on a Sunday, wouldn't the Winter Classic be played Jan. 2 along with the normally Jan. 1, bowl games?

Only if Jan 2 is a Nationally "observed" holiday, which I don't think it is. I know if Christmas falls on a weekend, it's observed the last weekday before, but I do not think that anything like that exists for Jan 1st.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For the record, I think this would be a terrible idea, as the Mummers parade (which lasts from the AM well into the night) uses up a ton of the police resources, closes down many streets, stresses mass transit, and is kind of a big deal) is also that day, and IMO there shouldn't be anything in the city that would compete with it. Gotta love thousands of drunk clowns (literally) with little umbrellas, and cops being asked to hold open containers so people can take pictures.

Since New Years Day 2012 falls on a Sunday, wouldn't the Winter Classic be played Jan. 2 along with the normally Jan. 1, bowl games?

Only if Jan 2 is a Nationally "observed" holiday, which I don't think it is. I know if Christmas falls on a weekend, it's observed the last weekday before, but I do not think that anything like that exists for Jan 1st.

January 2, is always the Federal/State/Local/Bank/everything that's closed Jan. 1, observed holiday when January 1, falls on a Sunday, its been that way for a long, long time.

Wouldn't St. Louis work?

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/37701:20

But to add to it

1. Blackhawks

2. Bruins

3. Redwings

4. Penguins

5. Capitals

6. Penguins

7. Flyers

8. Sabres

I'm not really a fan of 7-8, especially Buffalo. But the Flyers dont really have many jerseys to chose from, but they fit around 7.

I actually like Detroits, and I like the Sabres throwback look when used for throwback games. It's ok for fulltime I guess.

But the rest suck.

The Bruins throwback looks like a 3 year old drew it.

Both Penguins are horrible considering they have the gold and black to use.

Since everyone is going back to throwbacks, the Caps wore something very similar to what they already wear.

The Blackhawks black throwback replacing the other black third sucked.

Philly...super.

2ly2w09.jpg

Alot of great comparisons and view.

I concure with McCarthy -

1. Boston Bruins 2010

2. Buffalo Sabres 2008

3. Detroit Red Wings 2009

4. Chicago Blackhawks 2009

5. Pittsburgh Penguins baby blue 2008

6. Washington Capitals 2011

7. Philadelphia Flyers 2010

8 Pittsburgh Penguins fauxback 2011

Best Game was the the 2008 Game, with the 2010 game next.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

January 2, is always the Federal/State/Local/Bank/everything that's closed Jan. 1, observed holiday when January 1, falls on a Sunday, its been that way for a long, long time.

Never realized that. Why not anything when it's on a Saturday?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I actually like Detroits, and I like the Sabres throwback look when used for throwback games. It's ok for fulltime I guess.

But the rest suck.

The Bruins throwback looks like a 3 year old drew it.

Both Penguins are horrible considering they have the gold and black to use.

Since everyone is going back to throwbacks, the Caps wore something very similar to what they already wear.

The Blackhawks black throwback replacing the other black third sucked.

Philly...super.

How exactly does a three year old draw a jersey? I honestly don't get how anybody can insult such an awesome looking sweater.

those are just old ccm 550s, no? i meant an edge cut/fabric version

All Replicas for the Winter Classic have been in the CCM 550 cut. Only the Authentics have been in the Edge cut. That being said the absence of the Winter Classic makes that jersey a Vintage throwback, not an official WC one.

FWIW, here's my favorites:

1 - '10 Flyers

2 - '09 Redwings

3 - '09 Blackhawks

4 - '11 Caps

5 - '08 Buffalo

6 - '08 Penguins

7 - '10 Bruins

8 - '11 Penguins (would have preferred they kept the '08, but...)

If we were to add Heritage classic to the mix, Calgary would come in at #3 and the Canadiens at #7.

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

Never realized that. Why not anything when it's on a Saturday?

When January 1 falls on a Saturday the observance of the holiday varies between the branches of the government, banks, offices & so on. So mailmen & anyone who works in a bank, office or government place on a normal Saturday gets January 1 off as the official holiday while places that are closed on a normal Saturday get either December 31 or January 3 off.

I'm just surprised the original post in this thread has the exact same photos in the exact same size, with the exact same file names no less, than my blog post from earlier the same day...

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2010/12/2007-08-pittsburgh-penguins-sidney.html

Imagine that. If I hadn't found them on the web myself, that might be annoying. :hockeysmiley:

That said, I think Chicago's were the best.

Boston showed a nice mix of elements from past eras can be combined to good effect and ranks second.

Detroit was all right, but might have benefitted from a more retro cream or off-white treatment.

The Penguins navy blues from this year grew on me, but the light blue stripes were too wide compared to the originals, but the color swapping and the retro logo was a nice choice.

5th place goes to the Pens light blues just because the Capitals, Flyers and Sabres are limited by not having the same deep history as the Original 6, who can make an outright copy of a 80 year old style that people have forgotten or never knew about and lose points for safe, obvious choices and tie for 6th.

Keep reading my blog!

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I'm just surprised the original post in this thread has the exact same photos in the exact same size, with the exact same file names no less, than my blog post from earlier the same day...

Im a huge fan of your blog, I visit it everyday and I got the idea to make this thread while viewing that very post, hence the same images. Also saw your article in a Hockey News Magazine I have called "Greatest Jerseys of All Time," and loved your article about the Curious Weird and Ugly. So yeah no disrespect intended, keep up the awesome work!

Boston: I love the gold sweater. Its amazing. I hope they pick it up for next years Alternative.

Chicago: What? I'm a Blackhawks fan. Gotta rank it high.

Detroit: Its cool, nice to see another Red Wings jersey. Since the Home and Away get old after a while. Even though they are really good sweaters.

Washington: Flashback. So much better than their current sweaters.

Buffalo: Glad the sweaters look like this now.

Philadelphia: Is it me, or are Philly sweaters ugly?

Pitsburgh 1: Trying to hard.

Pitsburgh 2: Trying even harder, but still failed.

posted by HawkeyHouse

Boston: I love the gold sweater. Its amazing. I hope they pick it up for next years Alternative.

Detroit: Its cool, nice to see another Red Wings jersey. Since the Home and Away get old after a while. Even though they are really good sweaters.

Well put!

Im a huge fan of your blog, I visit it everyday and I got the idea to make this thread while viewing that very post, hence the same images. Also saw your article in a Hockey News Magazine I have called "Greatest Jerseys of All Time," and loved your article about the Curious Weird and Ugly. So yeah no disrespect intended, keep up the awesome work!

None taken, I'm glad you are a reader. Some people can get really bent out of shape about having their pictures used on the web, but it really is a 'creative commons' free for all.

It will be fun to see what teams come up with going forward, straight copies of vintage styles or a mix and match of elements. I can see reasons for both approaches depending on what you have to work with. I'd love to see what Minnesota would do. They could create a total "fantasy" throwback and invent a "old style" logo that they've never used before to give their merchandising a whole new line of gear to sell. Like a graphic logo to go along with the retro wordmark they created for their green alt.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I liked the #1 Penguins a lot, but the blackhawks winter classic was amazing. Worst is probably the Caps.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Very thorough and insightful breakdown. You should start a blog.

Reading this thread... I get the feeling a lot of people think the Buffalo/Pittsburgh outdoor game was the first time the NHL ventured outside. I know the Winter Classic and Heritage Classic are different things, and the NHL certainly likes to keep it that way, but let's not forget it was the Oilers that opened the floodgates to the outdoor game (NHL-wise).

2754528_std.jpg

Archived