Seahawks' Helmet Fail

Dedalvs

In honor of the Seahawks' improbable division championship, here is the one thing that bothers me the most about the Seahawks' new identity (well, new circa 2002). It's not the colors, or the fact that the sleeves on the home jersey are darker than the jersey itself for apparently no reason?it's this (photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images):

seahawkshelmet.jpg

The back of the seahawks' heads don't meet on the back of the helmet. That would be fine if there was a stripe on the back of the helmet, or something else that covered up the place where the hawks' heads were supposed to meet, but there's nothing. As it is currently, it simply looks like a place the designers forgot about, and every time I see their damn helmets, it grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

In other words, go Saints!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you and they've always been like that because of the ridge down the middle of the Riddell helmets.

Wait, even the old silver helmets were like that? I thought there was a blue stripe across the middle of the old helmets.

I'm with you and they've always been like that because of the ridge down the middle of the Riddell helmets.

Wait, even the old silver helmets were like that? I thought there was a blue stripe across the middle of the old helmets.

Nope. The old helmets had the wrap-around logos interrupted by the ridge as well.

Nope. The old helmets had the wrap-around logos interrupted by the ridge as well.

Well, in that case, I guess my problem isn't with their new identity: It's with their identity, period.

Wouldn't anyone wearing the Revo helmet not have the ridge?

yes, if only the Revo helmets didnt create 10x more problems with helmet decals.

that was what i was thinking when i read this. the way the decals don't run flush on the back is nowhere near as bothersome

If they connected in the back the logo would look like a two headed snake. Its not... its two logos (two hawks0 one on each side of the helmet (like every other helmet in the league besides cleve. and pitt.) .... I like it as is.

The problem is that the logos look like they're supposed to continue indefinitely. Notice that the decals on the helmets are actually different from the Seahawks' logo. The bird head logo actually has a defined back (it kind of curves up to a tip at the upper lefthand corner). The modification on the helmet makes it look like a bird head emerging from a series of stripes which are meant to continue on indefinitely, but don't.

If the stripes don't meet in the back, then there are one of a number of things that could be done:

1. Use the actual logo on the helmets, instead of the stripe variants.
  2. Add a definite end of some kind to the stripe (perhaps like the terminus of the Bills' stripe on the buffal).
  3. Have the stripe fade out before it hits the back of the helmet.

If the stripes don't meet in the back, then there are one of a number of things that could be done:

2. Add a definite end of some kind to the stripe (perhaps like the terminus of the Bills' stripe on the buffal).

Or, leave well enough alone. IMHO, the Seahawks - along with the Jacksonville Jaguars - have the best damn helmets in the NFL.

Or, leave well enough alone. IMHO, the Seahawks - along with the Jacksonville Jaguars - have the best damn helmets in the NFL.

Throw in the eagles and you'd be exactly right.

maehl.png

This is from 1993

2122137.jpg

And that is also the best look in team history, in my honest opinion.

With the helmet, I wondered about this too, until I created a team on Madden 06 for my PC. They were the Portland Ducks, and had a logo that I purposely made similar to Seattle. The helmet idea was the same as the Seahawks, but I tried to connect the logos to meet at the back. Problem was, as someone else said earlier, it looked like some two headed monster and looked really strange. I think that'd be the same here unfortunately. It may look good in one's head, but as I discovered, it looks really strange and honestly bothersome in action. But, that's just my humble opinion.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived