NFL's Captain's 'C'

cranium

Anyone know if they NFL is going to make the 5th year team captain's 'C' gold like the stars? It appears that each year that a player serves as team captain, the patch has one of the stars in gold, and it would appear that several players are getting close to a 5th year of captaincy. I took an NFL poll when they first issued the captain's patch and the gist of it seemed to be whether fans had even noticed the patch and if they could figure out what the stars meant. What is everyone's thoughts on the NFL's captain's patch "system"? I like it and also like its uniformity across all the teams.

I apologize in advance if this discussion has already occurred elsewhere on the board.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

I like the idea, but hate the uniformity of all team's using the same patch. I would prefer doing what the NHL does, and allowing teams to design a C patch that fits in with their colors/typography.

It it were me, I'd get rid of the start altogether.

Yeah, I've never seen the point of the whole thing, seems like a total gimmick. And it looks like total crap on some teams' uniforms. The only practical in-game point to team captains in football is for the coin toss anyway. Everyone already knows the QB/MLB run their respective units/have the radio.

I think I remember reading that from the 5th year on, the patch just looks the same. It won't be any different from a 4th year patch.

I heard that too, which makes me wonder why have a "star number" system anyways.

bufg.png

It's unnecessary and even going with matching the C to the team's letter/number font would create a whole new set of problems for their jerseys. There's a reason behind it when it comes to hockey, but not football. I mean, what would happen if a team makes the Super Bowl with an anniversary patch, super bowl patch, and captain's C? I mean, would they move the C slightly more left, or on their shoulder... argh, it just doesn't work, plain and simple.

Yeah, I've never seen the point of the whole thing, seems like a total gimmick. And it looks like total crap on some teams' uniforms. The only practical in-game point to team captains in football is for the coin toss anyway. Everyone already knows the QB/MLB run their respective units/have the radio.

Isn't it also true that only captains can talk to the officials, in terms of declining penalties and the like?

Either way, I hate the concept of the patch and particularly loathe the NFL's version. Unncessary clutter.

• 8 months later...

I like the idea, but hate the uniformity of all team's using the same patch. I would prefer doing what the NHL does, and allowing teams to design a C patch that fits in with their colors/typography.

Yes. That's what I thought from the very beginning.

Forcing every team to have the same patch is sort of stupid.

spacer.png

Which is why some teams simply don't use them.

The NFL has been homogenizing the look of everything in recent years, much to my chagrin. Pro Bowl, Super Bowl, Draft... all the same now except for the year or the Super Bowl number. I'd love to see the Skins being able to use the "C" in a different font, because the font for the existing "C" clashes with everything else and looks terribly out of place.

Which is why some teams simply don't use them.

I don't know if any team just "doesn't use them" just because they're stupid, but many teams don't have permanent captains (or, like the Packers, rotate captains up until the playoffs and then sew the patch on.)

The whole thing is cheesy. The Eagles have never used it because they decide captains on a game-by-game basis.

Right. I wonder though (if they went to an NHL-style thing where each captain had to wear some kind of C, even if not the stupid standard one) if they could somehow attach them just on a game-by-game basis? Shouldn't be too hard to just sew it on and use a seam ripper to remove it, as long as there's no glue underneath it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived