St. Louis Stallions

ddub53

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MemphisUni95.jpg

Interesting stuff. Where'd it come from?

Those logos on the page before were the ones I was thinking of when I said they looked like somebody's bad guess. I do remember those being debunked quite awhile ago ... so I'm a bit skeptical of this uniform.

I know Bombers, Marauders and Ravens were the finalists for the Baltimore team when they got the relocated Browns, but if I recall correctly, wasn't the failed expansion team in Baltimore supposed to be called the Rhinos?

Texas.gif

MemphisUni95.jpg

The name is horrible, but that's pretty bland for a 90's football jersey.

Like my homeboy from Memphis used to say "Why the white people gotta try and name everything after Elvis?!" :D

I know Bombers, Marauders and Ravens were the finalists for the Baltimore team when they got the relocated Browns, but if I recall correctly, wasn't the failed expansion team in Baltimore supposed to be called the Rhinos?

Actually, "Bombers" was the final expansion name. "Rhinos" was floated by the league, but the owners didn't want it.

The relocated Browns kicked around "Marauders," "Mustangs," "Cobras" and "Americans" (railroad reference), but the fan vote was heavily for "Ravens."

... I believe that's right ... !

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, "Bombers" was the final expansion name. "Rhinos" was floated by the league, but the owners didn't want it.

The relocated Browns kicked around "Marauders," "Mustangs," "Cobras" and "Americans" (railroad reference), but the fan vote was heavily for "Ravens."

... I believe that's right ... !

That is the way I remember it too. The NFL was really pushing the Rhino's hard and I think that one of the potential owner groups, Boogie Wineglass of Merry Go Round and Chess King fame was high on it too. IIRC there was even a logo. But since the NFL had already rigged the game for Charlotte and Jacksonville it really was all moot wasn't it. I also wonder if post 9-11, they would have changed the name Bombers.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

But since the NFL had already rigged the game for Charlotte and Jacksonville it really was all moot wasn't it.

Actually, it was rigged in favor of Charlotte and either St. Louis or Baltimore. The league wanted one "new" city (Charlotte was a foregone conclusion over Memphis and Jacksonville) and one "old" city (to fill the hole left by either the Cardinals or Colts). When neither St. Louis or Baltimore could get their act together, Jacksonville snuck in and won.

Here are a few of the HounDogs/Hound Dogs (I've seen both, but either way, it's an awful name), I think these are legitimate, I'm not sure though. I could be wrong. I've never seen any uniforms for them, but these are the few logos that I have seen.

MemphisHounDogs93.GIF

MemphisHounDogs2.GIFMemphisHounDogs4.GIF

MemphisHounDogs3.GIFMemphisHounDogs1.GIF

I think those have been debunked on this board before. Those logos have just been floating around the internet so long, and with nothing else to compare them to, they've come to be accepted as legit.

The debunking is pretty easy, since that's the Mountain Dew M on those logos, which wasn't around when these were supposed to have been created.

It's where I sit.

Wasn't there a forth city proposed with St. Louis, Memphis and Baltimore?

Oakland made a half-hearted attempt that they quickly dropped when Al Davis made rumblings about moving back.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm pretty sure none of these Memphis concepts are legit. I worked for a sports licensing company back when the expansion was taking place. We received logo sheets for the Panthers, Bombers, Jags and Stallions. Nothing was sent to us for Memphis. To my knowledge they were never seriously in the running. So no logo or uni designs were produced.

I'm pretty sure none of these Memphis concepts are legit. I worked for a sports licensing company back when the expansion was taking place. We received logo sheets for the Panthers, Bombers, Jags and Stallions. Nothing was sent to us for Memphis. To my knowledge they were never seriously in the running. So no logo or uni designs were produced.

You know, that makes sense now. Pepper Rodgers, who was leading the Memphis group, dropped out at one point when he realized Charlotte was the "new" city and that was it. The league talked him into staying, but they never did have a chance. Even when St. Louis and Baltimore fell by the wayside. The league loved Wayne Weaver from Jacksonville.

But since the NFL had already rigged the game for Charlotte and Jacksonville it really was all moot wasn't it.

Actually, it was rigged in favor of Charlotte and either St. Louis or Baltimore. The league wanted one "new" city (Charlotte was a foregone conclusion over Memphis and Jacksonville) and one "old" city (to fill the hole left by either the Cardinals or Colts). When neither St. Louis or Baltimore could get their act together, Jacksonville snuck in and won.

Well none of us were in the room that day. But I don't think it was a coincidence that Baltimore, St. Louis and the State of Tennessee got a team with in a few years of expansion. The NFL owners greedy SOB's they are wanted Baltimore, St. Louis and ultimately Nashville, as move to cities. Because they were the strongest. Why let the new kids on the block have the best available markets? You had the team in the number 2 and number 4 media market move to St. Louis and Nashville. And one of the most historic franchises "move" to Baltimore, to replace another historic franchise that moved. In the end the NFL got what it wanted, teams in Indy, Phoenix, Charlotte, Jacksonville and the State of Tennessee. As for LA...LA is to football what FLA is to baseball. A fickle market.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived